What's new

Amendment ratios for 40/40/20 soil mix same as for 1/1/1 Coots mix?

RenaissanceBrah

I'll be trying a modified version of the 1/1/1 Coots mix, and changing it to 40/40/20 (as online some have said they get better long term results this way, with the 20% being the compost portion, as it prevents soil compaction after a few years).

Was just wondering if I need to adjust the soil amendment ratios for the 40/40/20 mix, versus the original 1/1/1?

(40% pumice, 40% peat moss, 20% Bu's Blend and/or Worm Castings).

Here's my 1/1/1 soil amendment mix:

Base Mix (1/1/1)
10 gallons Malibu's Bu's Blend
10 gallons Canadian Sphagnum Peat moss
10 gallons Pumice (or Lava Rock, or Perlite)

Amendments
4 Cups Kelp Meal - Down to Earth
4 Cups Crab/Crustacean Meal - Down to Earth
4 Cups Malted Barley Powder - KIS Organics
2 Cups Gypsum
4-6 Cups Basalt (1.42 Liters) - KIS Organics
6-8 Cups Activated Biochar (1.9 Liters) - Buildasoil
4 Cups Oyster Shell Flower

--------------------

Thank you for any feedback.

Bio boy

I'll be trying a modified version of the 1/1/1 Coots mix, and changing it to 40/40/20 (as online some have said they get better long term results this way, with the 20% being the compost portion, as it prevents soil compaction after a few years).

Was just wondering if I need to adjust the soil amendment ratios for the 40/40/20 mix, versus the original 1/1/1?

(40% pumice, 40% peat moss, 20% Bu's Blend and/or Worm Castings).

Here's my 1/1/1 soil amendment mix:

Base Mix (1/1/1)
10 gallons Malibu's Bu's Blend
10 gallons Canadian Sphagnum Peat moss
10 gallons Pumice (or Lava Rock, or Perlite)

Amendments
4 Cups Kelp Meal - Down to Earth
4 Cups Crab/Crustacean Meal - Down to Earth
4 Cups Malted Barley Powder - KIS Organics
2 Cups Gypsum
4-6 Cups Basalt (1.42 Liters) - KIS Organics
6-8 Cups Activated Biochar (1.9 Liters) - Buildasoil
4 Cups Oyster Shell Flower

--------------------

Thank you for any feedback.
You don’t do neem meals in there ? Coots does ?

RenaissanceBrah

You don’t do neem meals in there ? Coots does ?
I've never added neem and always done fine. As long as the plant is healthy and happy, it does good at fighting off pests, with the mix I use above. Plus I like growing landraces which are more resistant to pests IMO. Not sure if that plays into it, but might. I avoid neem due to anecdotal evidence linking it to CHS.

Bio boy

I've never added neem and always done fine. As long as the plant is healthy and happy, it does good at fighting off pests, with the mix I use above. Plus I like growing landraces which are more resistant to pests IMO. Not sure if that plays into it, but might. I avoid neem due to anecdotal evidence linking it to CHS.
That’s why I am asking I’m dropping it now and as it’s 6-1-2 I’m missing that so looked at a mix with blood meal bone meal etc to kinda replace it . Your doing fine without though interesting
neem doesn’t even kill my gnats I use mosquito dunks they work in bt well and don’t harm my mites or worms
ya got a diary ? Like how day grow lights pots etc and how’s ya yields ?
I tend to grow monster trees like most so I worry as they get demanding lol I see a lot organically grow smaller plants and many of em here so I’m curious

also neem suppressed plant growth and fungi so interesting as u use my mix with neem missing lol

RenaissanceBrah

That’s why I am asking I’m dropping it now and as it’s 6-1-2 I’m missing that so looked at a mix with blood meal bone meal etc to kinda replace it . Your doing fine without though interesting
neem doesn’t even kill my gnats I use mosquito dunks they work in bt well and don’t harm my mites or worms
ya got a diary ? Like how day grow lights pots etc and how’s ya yields ?
I tend to grow monster trees like most so I worry as they get demanding lol I see a lot organically grow smaller plants and many of em here so I’m curious

also neem suppressed plant growth and fungi so interesting as u use my mix with neem missing lol

Goodonya bro for growing without the neem, hopefully it becomes a practice more implement.

I have my first grow diary, not the best, I could link it if you want.

These days I try to keep it as simple as possible, and I get good results:

Have a worm bin, feed em organic scraps and organic amendments (all the ones in my list, kelp meal, crab meal, etc). The main base is peat moss.

Use those worm castings with the 40/40/20 or 30/30/30 mix (pumice/peat/compost) (just however much I can spare, mixed with bu's blend compost).

Top dress with worm castings every once in a while.

Plant a cover crop once I chop, over the winter (I grow outside).

Water with purified or bottled water (get's expensive... our water in southern California is really chlorinated). Not sure how it would work with normal tap water... something I'm still trying to figure out. Weed soaks up everything, so you smoke whatever you put in... I don't wanna be smoking flouride and chlorine that's in tap water (I know there might not be that much... it's just something I haven't tested).

The last element is growing landrace varieties, or landrace crosses - they tend to be more hardy against weather and pests in my experience. They take longer to finish, and sometimes yields aren't as high, but I like the effect more, and I grow for effect. Mostly landrace sativas.

Mostly set it and forget it, just water.

Bio boy

Goodonya bro for growing without the neem, hopefully it becomes a practice more implement.

I have my first grow diary, not the best, I could link it if you want.

These days I try to keep it as simple as possible, and I get good results:

Have a worm bin, feed em organic scraps and organic amendments (all the ones in my list, kelp meal, crab meal, etc). The main base is peat moss.

Use those worm castings with the 40/40/20 or 30/30/30 mix (pumice/peat/compost) (just however much I can spare, mixed with bu's blend compost).

Top dress with worm castings every once in a while.

Plant a cover crop once I chop, over the winter (I grow outside).

Water with purified or bottled water (get's expensive... our water in southern California is really chlorinated). Not sure how it would work with normal tap water... something I'm still trying to figure out. Weed soaks up everything, so you smoke whatever you put in... I don't wanna be smoking flouride and chlorine that's in tap water (I know there might not be that much... it's just something I haven't tested).

The last element is growing landrace varieties, or landrace crosses - they tend to be more hardy against weather and pests in my experience. They take longer to finish, and sometimes yields aren't as high, but I like the effect more, and I grow for effect. Mostly landrace sativas.

Mostly set it and forget it, just water.
Dude we should get together lol
move recently found out 20 year growing I’ve been hunting strains lol then I find out in a thread here to Thai sativas that the trippy high I’ve been searching was sativa landrace lol
my next seeds ordered killer a5 haze and golden tiger Panama cross from ace
some terp levels in there of shit so unique I garentee I’ve never tasted it man excitement

yeah I use a ro filter clean on my soil as our 400ppm at 7:1 camg fucked my bed in 7 weeks god damn
now salts attacked me lol big learn there a lot of wrong advise on another forum like add keep every 7days and just sprinkle a cup or 2 lol got salty as hell

so no meals after this run just a worm bin ?
im going to amend with chicken poo comfrey and worm craps hehe

RenaissanceBrah

Dude we should get together lol
move recently found out 20 year growing I’ve been hunting strains lol then I find out in a thread here to Thai sativas that the trippy high I’ve been searching was sativa landrace lol
my next seeds ordered killer a5 haze and golden tiger Panama cross from ace
some terp levels in there of shit so unique I garentee I’ve never tasted it man excitement

yeah I use a ro filter clean on my soil as our 400ppm at 7:1 camg fucked my bed in 7 weeks god damn
now salts attacked me lol big learn there a lot of wrong advise on another forum like add keep every 7days and just sprinkle a cup or 2 lol got salty as hell

so no meals after this run just a worm bin ?
im going to amend with chicken poo comfrey and worm craps hehe

Yup, I've killed many a plant adding too much nutrients. We always have that instinct that more is better, but with soil it's often too much. It happens to every grower. Lazyness is a gardeners best friend heh.

I don't know much about chicken manure, I just try to find the more organic amendments and feed that to my worms. The worms break it down and make it more bioavailable for the plants. Then every once in a while I'll add it to my no-till pots (just never in flower). Typically just right after a grow, and right before, when I chop my cover crop, and add some worms along with the worm castings.

(Also, running a cover crop is good to break up the soil, prevent soil compaction, and get some nutrients back into the soil, etc. I like the Cannaseur No-till Cover 13 seed mix).

Glad to hear you found some good genetics btw!