What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

amendment 64

monsoon

Just to keep it all according to the law so folks aren't led astray...21 is actually the legal age where you can possess less than a z., Jhhnn. The 18-20 year olds kinda got left out of the picture here. These folks are getting med cards in droves to get around such an ommission from what I am hearing.

Just heard last night that these rules need to be finalized by May or the legislature will set their own rules. It will be interesting to see what they feel is gonna work and how folks will immediately start looking for the loopholes in the policies as written. It will also be interesting to see how or if the Federal Gov't addresses the entire matter. Their decision will steer this boat without a doubt no matter what the States say.

Either way, it isn't gonna be long before we hear something from both sides and see where this will all truly go.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Just to keep it all according to the law so folks aren't led astray...21 is actually the legal age where you can possess less than a z., Jhhnn. The 18-20 year olds kinda got left out of the picture here. These folks are getting med cards in droves to get around such an ommission from what I am hearing.

Just heard last night that these rules need to be finalized by May or the legislature will set their own rules. It will be interesting to see what they feel is gonna work and how folks will immediately start looking for the loopholes in the policies as written. It will also be interesting to see how or if the Federal Gov't addresses the entire matter. Their decision will steer this boat without a doubt no matter what the States say.

Either way, it isn't gonna be long before we hear something from both sides and see where this will all truly go.

I wrote "over 20", remember? If you're over 20, that means you're at least 21 years of age.

I apologize if that seems snippy. And you're right about the 18 to 20 year olds being left out. The whole thing was set up on the premise of pot being regulated like alcohol, thus the age limit of 21. Of course they in-betweens are getting med cards. Hell, parents are dragging their stoner young adults to the pot doctors as cover for the whole family. It's a helluva lot cheaper to pay for a med card than to pay for lawyers, and a helluva lot better to have an unblemished police record, even if it's just misdemeanors. Yeh, it's extortion, but it's cheap.

WRT the things I pointed out, the legislature is powerless, because those things are part of the Colorado Constitution, which can't be changed other than by a vote of the People.

The authorities are currently thrashing around in futility because the Federal role is still up in the air. It doesn't matter if you have a Colorado legal business if the Feds will toss you in Leavenworth for 10 years. We've seen that with MMJ in California.

OTOH, the Feds aren't really interested in busting hobby growers, either, so unless a person comes up on their radar for some other reason, like going commercial, they'll very, very likely be left alone.

The beautiful thing about it is that small growers can remain completely anonymous. The smart answer, of course, is to be Colorado legal in all respects. Enforcement of MJ statutes has always depended heavily on local enforcement and cooperation with the Feds. When local authorities have no statutory methods of enforcement, that whole model breaks down.

Yeh, sure, it'd be great if Denver became the Amsterdam of the West. Even if that never happens, the Colorado situation for ordinary people who just want to get high or grow their own is at the forefront of liberalization & acceptance.

Even if the Feds busted the Colorado legal little guys, I suspect they'd play Hell finding a jury willing to convict in many jurisdictions, particularly the City & County of Denver. The truth be told, they don't want to find themselves in that position, ever, so they'll avoid going there.

The authorities have been trying to shore up the levee in California & elsewhere, but it's already been breached in Colorado & Washington, with the flood waters now coming up behind them. Hell, Congress threw a monkey wrench into the works when they allowed DC to vote on MMJ. If it's legal at the Federal level in DC, then it has to be legal at the Federal level everywhere, equal protection being what it is. It's just a matter of time until that's established in the Courts, I figure.

Even so-called "Conservatives" are caught in a bind, with their own "States' Rights!" anti- federal govt rhetoric, along with the trappings of Libertarianism they've overlaid onto very authoritarian underpinnings.

monsoon

My son is "over 20" as of last week, but that doesn't make him over 21, which is how old you need to be to take advantage of A64. (no snippiness, just the fact of the matter)

It's the little guys who will win out, you are correct there. Definitely a huge victory for everyone.

Jhhnn

Veteran
My son is "over 20" as of last week, but that doesn't make him over 21, which is how old you need to be to take advantage of A64. (no snippiness, just the fact of the matter)

It's the little guys who will win out, you are correct there. Definitely a huge victory for everyone.

My son as well. He's been a stoner for a couple of years, expected behavior all things considered, and he actually has done better in school & at home as a result of it quelling his ADHD. That extends to all his waking hours, apparently the result of residual activity. Otherwise, he has the attention span of a fruitfly. I'm just going to have to drag him to a MMJ Doc, I guess. I told him I'd pay, do whatever it takes, but he's acting dumb, as if getting legal has no merit. It does, for the whole family. It's like buying insurance. I'd encourage you to do the same if possible.

If you're 20 years and 364 days old, you're still 20 for legal purposes, which was my reference entirely. They just count birthdays.

monsoon

My son got his card just before the election. Too risky to not do it. He grew a couple plants outside his house last Summer w/o a card so I told him he needed to take care of biz this year if he was planning on doing the same thing.

He is. LOL.

What I'm really worried about (as I'm hoping to move to Colorado) is the fact that you can still get a DUI. Doesn't that just open the door for 'well if you're in possession while driving then you must have smoked'. I know that technically you have to fail a field sobriety or what have you, but we all know that cops do what they do.

When it comes to a DUI, they can really ruin your life. Especially in a state like Colorado where you NEED to drive or you don't make money.

At the moment I use a lot of mass transit even though I have a car and a DL. I feel safer and more anonymous in a big city on mass transit. They can't stop you because 'your tail-light was out' or your license plate frame touches some of the graphic on your license plate.

Driving around in a car a lot of times you're just a sitting duck. DUIs are incredibly expensive to fight and live with. To a cop, it's just writing a ticket..a big score, DUI ticket at that.. I don't want to be victimized in my car like I was for so many years driving around Texas.

Food for thought?

Jhhnn

Veteran
What I'm really worried about (as I'm hoping to move to Colorado) is the fact that you can still get a DUI. Doesn't that just open the door for 'well if you're in possession while driving then you must have smoked'. I know that technically you have to fail a field sobriety or what have you, but we all know that cops do what they do.

When it comes to a DUI, they can really ruin your life. Especially in a state like Colorado where you NEED to drive or you don't make money.

At the moment I use a lot of mass transit even though I have a car and a DL. I feel safer and more anonymous in a big city on mass transit. They can't stop you because 'your tail-light was out' or your license plate frame touches some of the graphic on your license plate.

Driving around in a car a lot of times you're just a sitting duck. DUIs are incredibly expensive to fight and live with. To a cop, it's just writing a ticket..a big score, DUI ticket at that.. I don't want to be victimized in my car like I was for so many years driving around Texas.

Food for thought?

The answer, I think, is to be legal wrt your auto- no busted windshields or expired tags, no expired driver's license or warrants. Current insurance card. No getting high in the car, no smell, no visible pot or paraphernalia, no operator who's obviously baked crispy.

Offer no probable cause for a search or a warrant, and never consent to a search. Never transport a full oz or more. Be polite & respectful. STFU, offer nothing.

Transit is decent in the Denver area, particularly if you choose to live near the light rail lines or one of the major bus routes.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/

Routes, schedules, fares, maps - everything.

The answer, I think, is to be legal wrt your auto- no busted windshields or expired tags, no expired driver's license or warrants. Current insurance card. No getting high in the car, no smell, no visible pot or paraphernalia, no operator who's obviously baked crispy.

Offer no probable cause for a search or a warrant, and never consent to a search. Never transport a full oz or more. Be polite & respectful. STFU, offer nothing.

Transit is decent in the Denver area, particularly if you choose to live near the light rail lines or one of the major bus routes.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/

Routes, schedules, fares, maps - everything.

I know and follow all of this to a T. Especially after having so many problems/run-ins in the past. However, as I'm sure we all know, that doesn't mean shit. I just see this as possibly the next weakest opening to be exploited. All it takes is one DUI which again, is just a pink or yellow piece of paper with your name on it, and you're toast..

Then you get into a position of yearly fees, surcharges and classes. Not only that but you then HAVE to live in a place like Denver with lightrails and public trans or you can't work. Like I did. I used to live in Texas with my family but had to move because if you don't drive then you don't work in that part of Texas.