What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Amber in 15 minutes from cutting

L

LuvPB

Hey jump177, I've never made oil out of fresh undried bud. I'll give it a whirl in October see what I think. Thanks

IMO

yields ever decrease when extracting from fresh material? using ethanol/butane/hexane... any [relevant] solvent? just curious if moisture content effects anything...

seem to remember both you [gray wolf] and jump getting ~20% yields from fresh [in comparison to projected dry-weight of course] doing a double wash with butane+ethanol ... definitely doesn't seem like a decrease - any reason why someone would think otherwise? any negatives to running fresh? seems like all positives from over here, but id love to hear you weigh in.

sorry if this is repetitious, i know both GW/jump post extensively and quite thoroughly, i apologize if it is something you have already answered. i probably have read it in the past, but sometimes my brain just starts doing the backstroke.

thanks again for all your help/contributions

jump117

Veteran
yields ever decrease when extracting from fresh material?

seem to remember both you [gray wolf] and jump getting ~20% yields from

definitely doesn't seem like a decrease - any reason why someone would think otherwise?
Comparison of different methods on the percentage of output is only valid on identical material.
Effectiveness of the technology itself is the balance of extracted and ejected parts of resin.

Fine extraction of amber is not a complete extraction of all resins.
Amber is just a head part, followed by a body of contaminated resin and tail of the mud with traces of residual resin.
The greater head part and smaller the tail, the better method.
Anyone can set boundaries between them, varying the duration and temperature of the extraction of your choice.

The lower the quality requirements, the greater the yield.
Tar is always more than amber.

any negatives to running fresh?
Freshness is short-lived, it is its only negative.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
yields ever decrease when extracting from fresh material? using ethanol/butane/hexane... any [relevant] solvent? just curious if moisture content effects anything...

occasionally i get terrible yields from fresh, much worse than can be accounted for by relative weight and moisture as compared to dried. its tasty tho, its different, and gives flavors you cant get from dry runs.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I speak in general numbers when I compare fresh extract yields to cured yields, because I haven't precisely measured the water content in the cured material and use an estimated 10/15% water content estimate for my calculations.

I also haven't harvested a plant and split it into a fresh and cured sample for identical comparison, so consider my yield comparison as in the same ball park for purposes of discussion.

One downside is that plant material is less compact when fresh, so you have to make more runs to yield the same weight of final product .

jump117

Veteran
occasionally i get terrible yields from fresh, much worse than can be accounted for by relative weight and moisture as compared to dried.
That failure was caused by the interaction of butane with a non-refrigerated fresh material in a tubular extractor -iirc?

Perhaps the reason was the formation of condensation of ice at a rapid cooling
or the formation of ice patches in places where fresh material was pressed by tight packing.

Butane does not dissolve the ice, covered the trichomes and they remain intact.
Tubular extractor is ill-suited for the extraction of fresh.

Also, perhaps it was a visual assessment, which is easy to make a mistake,
because the dry material is five times more compact than fresh and can be densely packed, as opposed to fresh.

We should not allow the frozen material in contact with warm air.
Fresh material is better pre-frozen directly in the extractor before extraction with butane.

Extraction of fresh material with Ethanol, in contrast to Butane,
does not require any preliminary preparation, which provides excellent speed of performance.

IMO

thanks for all the swift responses!

jump- once again you have shifted my thinking. cant tell you how much i appreciate it. helped me recognize that yield is a rather ignorant/crude way of putting it. mostly i was interested in butanes effectiveness on dissolving those resin heads from fresh material, something that seems obvious now. condensation and the resulting ice covering seem to be the culprit, as you eloquently explained. with this in mind, and with the proper method/precautions one should, as you have, be able to extract however much they please.

GW- thanks for your input too. i know youre #'s arent set in stone, but you seem to have a fair bit of experience- i trust your judgement. ill wait to weigh in my personal thoughts when ive actually done my own comparison.

HMK- thats the experience of many that i have heard. only occasionally though? do you use a tubular extraction methods like jump addresses?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Look forward to hearing your thoughts after experimenting yourself!

purple_man

Veteran
high famz!

i tried fresh trim leaves, many moons ago, saturated in isoproanolum/isopropyl (70%) in a mason jar, for i guess 10mins while shakin it like mad... the solvent color got light green in the end, BUT after separation n evaporisation, the oil was yellow/blond, like some bho, and it crystalized -> i guess it's a nice way to use, if you can recover the solvent, since the yield was very low (no wonder, fresh material in comparison to dried stuff, is mostly water and uses up to much volume...)

blessss

jump117

Veteran
the oil was yellow/blond, like some bho, and it crystalized -> i guess it's a nice way to use,
Technology of Alcohol Flushing of Fresh Flowers for its incredible speed triumphantly surpasses
other methods of extraction and preparation of high quality concentrate.

I would like to add it as foreplay to a more stable extraction of Absolute Amber (butane - ethanol).
Now regret that I have not tried to combine them when I was able to experiment with fresh flowers.

gunnaknow

Bump! This thread could be considered the prelude to Jump's AA thread but it was very much it's equal in my eyes and deserves alot more attention.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee, hee, we included a Jump thermos extraction in class yesterday on some Trainwreck, which turned out a damn near colorless and transparent shatter. Sorry no pictures, as I was busy teaching, but after a vacuum finish, it was pronounced by all who tested it as superb and superior in flavor to the cured packed column extraction we also did and vacuum finished.

gunnaknow

Feel free to add your name to the thermos method aswel GW, Jump and I consider the idea shareware. Anyone who uses it owns a fair share of it. Jump's 15 minutes from cutting ethanol wash was solely his idea and I don't think that it get's quite the recognition that it deserves. Possibly because of the success of some of the ideas in his other thread. I'd like to see it get the same level of recognition because it's also a great idea. It's comforting to see that you follow the same principles of sharing, with your school and research company. I'd say that of all the great ideas on this forum, your idea of a school is one of the best yet.

CFP65

how much material can you wash in say 1litre before you reach some kind of saturation point.
i was thinking of using this method out in the guerilla, ex 1 big 30-40L milk jar and just cut of branches and stick them in the spirit filled jar one by one until the crop was all washed, to get rid of the drying process, the point is just hvo much material i can get washed before i actually draw up more resin than i add when sticking a branch in the jar for washing.

JColtrane

^ I agree ... and to know that it's happening where it is, makes me happy! Wasn't able to make this past class, but I hope to sign up for the one in the summer:dance013:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Feel free to add your name to the thermos method aswel GW, Jump and I consider the idea shareware. Anyone who uses it owns a fair share of it. Jump's 15 minutes from cutting ethanol wash was solely his idea and I don't think that it get's quite the recognition that it deserves. Possibly because of the success of some of the ideas in his other thread. I'd like to see it get the same level of recognition because it's also a great idea. It's comforting to see that you follow the same principles of sharing, with your school and research company. I'd say that of all the great ideas on this forum, your idea of a school is one of the best yet.

Thanks for the good thoughts bro! Plenty of honoraries to pass around for all involved in developing and sharing techniques, with a measure due ICMag for providing the platform that allows us to do so. Kudos and accolades to all who share and to ICMag!!

I sincerely agree that Jump has contributed more to various forums than has generally been recognized and observed, which is why I try to make sure the fokels understand that he is one of my own prime resources.

When I see his name on a post or thread, I always read it, and highly recommend that other kindred spirits do so as well.

The proof of a pudding always gets around to taste, and so far the classes have been a roaring success. They have been overbooked, with high student interest and enthusiasm both before and after the classes.

We've only charged for the cost of the supplies and food to teach and feed the class and are drawing students from all over the US, with inquiries from Canada. The interesting thing is that the student mix has changed from initially being mostly folks looking to learn how to extract using the various methods, to serious experienced extractors looking to improve their game.

That last part has been a godsend, in that they too are sharing with us, so the teacher also remains the student.

I'm thinking that the next logical step, is to hold an extraction and alchemy symposium, with invites to all who wish to attend and share! Maybe an anual hoopla, somewhere safe for all to attend and participate! Hee, hee, hee..............