What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Am I asking for root rot?

Squirrel Master

So I’m wondering if thinking too much is going to get me trouble as it often does with other aspects of my life.
I’ve made the switch from synthetic bottled nutes to organic living soil and Im using LC’s soilless mix #2 with recipe #1. I’m also using Thailer’s SIP design and holy crap I’ve never seen this kind of growth and I’m on my 4th run with this strain.
Because my soil is organic I covered the surface with black plastic to prevent potential pests from moving in.
Am I asking for root rot?
There’s no watering from the top down, the roots just sip from the 3” of water always present at the bottom. And there’s a bottom layer of perlite between the soil and the water.
I can’t keep thinking that excess moisture is going to get trapped under the cover and cause rot.
7AEE929B-9503-4266-AD94-BD0AECAF82C5.jpeg
C9B71333-6934-44D4-BAD1-B506A2DF2D0C.jpeg

shiva82

along as you have a layer of perlite in the res collection zone they should be fine. maybe buy some fine weed barrier instead of using plastic , to allow more aeration and still keep gnats out

goingrey

There won't be any trapped excess moisture if you don't overwater - but you may have to adjust your watering to prevent that with less evaporation.

What I wonder is will there still be enough oxygen in there. Not necessarily a root rot concern as rot needs oxygen to live too. Just as a thing that might make the plants less healthy.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Roots need oxygen as well as water. I wouldn't mulch the top with something that will stop the air circulating. Use a pair of tights or similar if you want a barrier.
plants look good atm though!
VG

revegeta666

So I’m wondering if thinking too much is going to get me trouble as it often does with other aspects of my life.
This made me laugh hahaha. I can relate :ninja:
I say you are indeed looking for trouble. The plastic will prevent correct aireation and while maybe not causing rot directly, it will lead to a lack of oxygen, and it will extend the wet/dry cycle of the soil which is not great either. Will also make the perfect environment for fungus gnats to thrive. Great looking plants otherwise :)

shiva82

weed barrier , pegged in tight. works a treat. then have your traps set up for any adults and have at hand diluted horticultrural soap to spray as a cleaner around the area and that soil will be protected nicely. i do it myself that way if i get a gnat poulation starting and keep the soil live and pest free

Squirrel Master

There won't be any trapped excess moisture if you don't overwater - but you may have to adjust your watering to prevent that with less evaporation.

What I wonder is will there still be enough oxygen in there. Not necessarily a root rot concern as rot needs oxygen to live too. Just as a thing that might make the plants less healthy.
Ya I’m wondering the same thing with there being enough oxygen. I do have a tiny submersible pump in my control bucket that aerates the water via waterfall to prevent stagnation. But that’s it. No air stones or anything in the actual container. Just the control bucket that feeds the container. And this plant drinks almost a liter and a half a day so one would assume it’s getting oxygenated water.
So far they are super healthy. Hope it stays that way 🤞
Thanks for reply

Squirrel Master

This made me laugh hahaha. I can relate :ninja:
I say you are indeed looking for trouble. The plastic will prevent correct aireation and while maybe not causing rot directly, it will lead to a lack of oxygen, and it will extend the wet/dry cycle of the soil which is not great either. Will also make the perfect environment for fungus gnats to thrive. Great looking plants otherwise :)
you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
Usually no but I’m stubbornly stupid
Thanks man!

Squirrel Master

weed barrier , pegged in tight. works a treat. then have your traps set up for any adults and have at hand diluted horticultrural soap to spray as a cleaner around the area and that soil will be protected nicely. i do it myself that way if i get a gnat poulation starting and keep the soil live and pest free
That’s awesome man. So I’m starting another SIP and I wanted to try something else. Maybe I’ll go that route. I keep things super clean so I’m praying pests are not inevitable with organic soil

shiva82

they are inevitable if you do not keep a cleaning regime and hepa filter all your intakes, or use fabric weedbarrier again as it acts as a good lint free filter for your intakes. just follow hygeine and keep pests at a bar minimum. any organic matter will attract insects some of which to be pests. Being indoors you have no natural predators or competition so a population can colonize quickly if not kept in check.

goingrey

Ya I’m wondering the same thing with there being enough oxygen. I do have a tiny submersible pump in my control bucket that aerates the water via waterfall to prevent stagnation. But that’s it. No air stones or anything in the actual container. Just the control bucket that feeds the container. And this plant drinks almost a liter and a half a day so one would assume it’s getting oxygenated water.
So far they are super healthy. Hope it stays that way 🤞
Thanks for reply
Sounds like you'll be alright.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If your roots stay too wet then you may get root rot. You can help by planting the plant higher in the container. Make sure you plant the plant way above the root flair to prevent excess moisture exposure. . . 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
One of the most common mistakes people make when growing all plants in containers is planting the plant too deep in the container. Even in professional nurseries, most plants are usually planted too deep for convenience. I'm talking about woody stems and not herbaceous stem plants. I have learned that if I plant a veg plant too deep in the soil it can slow down growth and come back and bite me on the ass with mold. . The plant's root flair exposure will help transpiration between the water and gas exchange in the roots zone when the plant is planted correctly. 😎

1663399652947.png

Growenhaft

There is no top-down watering

this is a good method for all plants that need little water and nutrients... it's also perfectly fine for our plants to grow. however, during flowering you will notice that your buds are smaller and not as firm..

there are plants that need a lot of water and nutrients... and if they absorb a lot of nutrients, a lot of root exudates are also produced. these plants depend on rain or sufficient overhead watering... to rid the medium of these growth retardant compounds that the plant produces via root exudates.

for your project you need more bioactive soil to be able to offer your roots enough escape space, which is used during flowering. our plants feed mainly on the very fine root hairs, which only live for a few hours and then die off in order to regrow somewhere else. These root hairs are extremely delicate and cannot regrow in areas with a lot of root exudation. if these excretions are regularly washed away from above, this space is again available for the development of new root hairs

you will reach your goal with your method... .but not fully access the potential of the plant.. because the type of irrigation does not match the type of plant..

the oxygen thing has already been mentioned... from a plant perspective. but since you work biologically and are dependent on your soil life in the earth... you should know... 2/3 of the total oxygen in your earth is required by your soil life... only 1/3 of the plant. without oxygen, your medium becomes a hostile zone for your plant. the medium will not develop enough soil life to nourish your plant or to maintain the acid-base balance in the medium.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts