What's new

Aluminum Shed ?

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm a shed grower as well. Damn glad I made that change, too. I was ruining my wood floors, even though I had put a piece of linoleum down. Plus MsV said "YOU GOT TO TAKE YOUR TOYS OUTSIDE". :nono:

Anyway, i'm glad I ran across this thread. Hopefully, i'll learn something. That aluminum shed is gonna get hot as hell,jamrock (I guess you know that by now) no matter how many fans you got in there. The key is exhausting that heat from the top and having a vent in the floor, or as low in your shed/greenhouse as possible. you'll be suprised at how manageable your heat issues will become. Another important adjustment that I made was insulating the shed. That was a must. I also added an 8,000 BTU AC unit (will show pics, if necessary) to help keep my temps down. I need to tweak that a bit because I'm getting major condensation coming off my aluminum ductwork leading down to the veg and flower rooms, so by the time the air hits the room, it's gotten a few degrees warmer. I'm adding insulated ductwork, so hopefully that'll take care of both the condensation off the pipes and also keep the cool air going into the room.

Anybody gone through a winter growing in a shed/greenhouse? I'd truly love to hear about any issues that may have arisen.

I hope I haven't hijacked this thread. Certainly was not my intent. I think I got excited :jump: when i ran upon a group that had similar issues as I.

Again my apologies.

Last edited:
G

heres one i built for a mate

heres one i built for a mate

600watt little aussie ripper full custom built for the users enjoyment and ease
fo use for any one

and just for those that may wanna know i dont use the aussie grown account any more for leagl reasons

aussie strains :wave: 600watt little ausie ripper

Old MacDonald

Vash,

Quick reply since I fucked up my nice long detailed reply.....

I'm working out in a couple aluminum sheds as well.... been thru a summer and this winter.

Briefly, more detail to come, it can be done! Key points:

1 - insulate. PL300 to glue styro to walls, roxul on roof, then panda it all in... more stable temps, no light leaks. Also, it's kind of fishy when you see a metal shed outside in the winter with no snow on the roof..... might as well post up signs and take out an ad.....
2 - ventilation. As with any sealed environment, you need air in and air out... I've got mine coming in and venting out thru the wood floor the shed is built on.... no visible vents on outside, no heat signature for the nifty choppers with their infrared....
3 - A/C. Pretty much a necessity to help keep temps down
4 - ventilation. keep that air moving, get that hot air vented out!

More details and pics later, all.....

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm finding the same issues in my shed. Seems I'll have more issues in the summer than I will in the cold. Those issues will be where to direct the AC.

Winston_Smith

Hey JamRock,
I am working out some issues with my shed... I didnt have anywhere else to grow for now so I thought what the heck... give it a try... well that is just inexperience, LOL. on a 70* day out it is more like 90* or more in the shed... whew... (NEED MORE VENTILATION) I think I can get away with the temps until late april early may. Then, I will have to move outside... I like the A/C units Digital Hippy is using... Kinda sux that I just threw out two window a/c units about six months ago... oh well. Further, I am going to put up styrofoam and then panda. I think that will insulate pretty well. I am going to check back with you and see how yours comes along... Wish you luck! :wave:

G

A few vents in the roof at its highest point will exhaust the hot air and through convection pull fresh air in at floor level providing most all other "leak" sources above floor level are caulked/sealed.

Additional air can be pulled in with an in line, again you would pull cooler air in from closer to the floor/ground.

Aluminum/steel buildings do get awfully damned hot. When we erect commercial steel or aluminum skin buildings a thermal barrier is installed to deflect heat intrusion. The thermal barrier is either in batten form or sprayed on, and is heavier than the residential applications that you are more familiar with.

Hope this helps you,

TyStik

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Here's the outside of my indoor shed.

38360shed-med.jpg

38360shed2-med.jpg

383601-med.jpg

Coroplast for the walls & floor...corrugated plastic. <<<cutting through only half of the material allows you to bend 90* or more - All taped together with outdoor sticky vinyl you can buy in rolls at a graphics store. The inside of the roof is just heat treated white paint. Expansion foam to seal & a second light5 proof door in from the shed doors (Velcro vinyl door). So if you opened the shed you don't see the grow yet. Some wood for dividing & light attaching etc. Between the doors is one 449CFM inline fan sucking air out to 400CFM 6" can filter & another muffin fan blowing air in from the bottom into chamber #1 right side with a air cooled 400MH - on the other side is the 400HPS parabolic with a small fan resting on the edge blowing directly on the bulb. I've divided the air cooled inline @ the fan & have a 6" movable piece of flexi duct (silver tube coming out of shed) which I hang over the lamp (air cooled hahaha)

Both chambers are for Bloom it originally was for both - why I have a partial divider the heat duct tape shows the divider. Which can be closed off light tight with some block-out white vinyl material (safe) with 2" velcro to attach around frame door entrances. A banner maker sewed these for me. I stapled the female side to the wood.

See the black in the lower right - that's velcro on the wood door frame. Than bare wood than the white vinyl tape. You also know there's 2 types of duct tape. That metallic works & very sticky but it's brittle so it cracks if there's movement.

38360ducttape-med.jpg

I've used the second on the outside to cover the bare metal edge from the cut - the metallic inside where the heat is.

Last edited: