What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alternatives for Big Bud?

I have no reason to doubt Big Bud even though I have not had much experience. I have an aeroponic system and with the jets and filters, BB can cause maintenance issues. It builds up in to brown slime, seems harmless, no effects to the plants from what I can tell. But it requires more work to clean.

Now that is fine if it is what it is.

But I was wondering if there is something that will not give me these types of issues with my set up. So anything "thick" is out of the question.

Thoughts?

B

Bud Bug

Monopotassium Phosphate throw in some Magnesium Sulphate and you have 99% of what in all the powdered bloom boosters.

:yeahthats He is right on with his explanation. I like Earth Juice's Meta-K as an organic soluble and clear source of K. I say clear because it isnt thick or brown or have amino acids like ANBB.

ANBB is a product I have had fantastic results with however, so if you arent having problems (outside of scrubbing more), and really dont want to switch...why not use it? Also, forgive me as I am not accusing you of ignorance..but are you sure it is the big bud and not perhaps a humate or seaweed based product? You didnt put what else you run so it may be a weird combo reaction.

I am not implying you dont know what you are doing, I am implying I dont know EVERYTHING you are doing and would like a little more info so I can feel confident about my answer to you. :joint:

Yeah, if there is not a competitive brand that would be better or equaled to, I am fine useing it.

I use AN a&b, carbload, Calmag, aquaguard, ph down and weeks 2-3 I used phoserload and a little silicate but those last two where before BB. Weekly flushes and clean the filters and res and trays.

Two problem areas could be my res is only about 12 gals and my res temps are not ideal. I can keep them in the low 70's with the use of frozen bottles.

I am looking into things I can do. Such has installation of the res, a chiller/icebox removing out of my grow tent as well as something larger.

lol don't worry man, I'm basically clueless.

I have used different AN products for years, and your mix is pretty clean. I think it is the big bud. I have found it to be the best "booster" in terms of performance so if it was me, I would keep using it. Good job on the silicate btw, a very underused and often overlooked ally in the garden.

Edit: I just perused your grow log...what is the "something something dark side" you mention at the end of your nute reg. Perhaps Dark Energy? If so that is where the damn problem is. I could have missed where you said you werent using it as you didnt list it above. Just curious.

Cool, looks like BB will stay. I was just wondering if there was another option. But a little extra cleaning is well worth it.

lol...hum that was just a off hand comment no reference to dark energy, but if it did it would probably be removing schrodinger's cat and replacing it with weed.

W

WheelsOG

Monopotassium Phosphate throw in some Magnesium Sulphate and you have 99% of what in all the powdered bloom boosters.

If using the GH 3 part; Could you just replace Big Bud with more Bloom and expect similar results?

Big Foot

I have no reason to doubt Big Bud even though I have not had much experience. I have an aeroponic system and with the jets and filters, BB can cause maintenance issues. It builds up in to brown slime, seems harmless, no effects to the plants from what I can tell. But it requires more work to clean.

Now that is fine if it is what it is.

But I was wondering if there is something that will not give me these types of issues with my set up. So anything "thick" is out of the question.

Thoughts?
Just curious are you using the liquid or powder fourmula?

i think carbo load could be your problem. i ran this stuff for a full grow 30 5 ft tree's in and ebbandgrow and had the same problem. i was also running a several other advanced products and when i cut out the carbo load nasty foamy slime whent away. personally i found i like gh's dry kool bloom instead of bigbud and am running it in my current advanced room. I'm also runnig a full room on gh side by side to the advanced to get some solid answwers on my preference. both produce great results it's really going to come down to overall production and most importantly for me taste.

NFR

If using the GH 3 part; Could you just replace Big Bud with more Bloom and expect similar results?

Most bud booster have both a high level of P and K where the bloom is higher in P.

I use liquid Kool Bloom with my GH 3 part after I drop the Gro. 0-10-10. I'm going to try Big Bud on a run. I already pawned everything and gave blood so I could pick up a 4l.:laughing:

W

WheelsOG

Thanks for the replys.

Also, I should note, a friend is using Big Bud and is having the same problem. It leaves brown chunkys floating around :) I believe the filter catches most of it, but this could pose a problem for his dripper system.

NFR

Carbs go slimey and foamy in a rez. Add Hunic and it even gets worse. It's not a problem for the plants as far as I'm concewrned. Equip may be a problem but I havent had any since I'm not running hydro. It gets messy though.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Big up powder -(humboldt). Ginormous - humboldt. Kook bloom
- liquid and powder serve 2 diff purposes. Great if used together. Gh
floralicious I believe um. What else.