What's new

Altering photos

radium-

You know after playing around with photoshop I have began to realize its very easy to manipulate colors.... Some purples people have on their pics could have been altered to make it more purple etc.... we should have some type of universal piece to sit by plants when taking pics to prove their true colors like a pepsi can or something...?

radium-

Here is what I mean here is original pic

Heres my blueberry x c99 cross

or did i mess around in photoshop for 5 mins?

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
im pretty sure most of us are proud of our plants-thats why we post them in the 1t place so to alter them would be daft...but yes of course there are bojnd to be some "Cheats" not that anythging wrong wth photoshop...as long as the pic is labelled as altered that it....

radium-

Harry: Oh no not saying everyone here alters photos at all and highly doubt anyone does... Just saying its very very very easy to do so and some breeders taking shots could easily dupe people into making their buds looks much better than they actually do. Just want to let people know

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
radium-: Logically, it would be totally nonsensical for a breeder to hype the outcome by altering photos, because that would leave the breeder with endless complaints and ridicule by customers. Once there has been folks growing a particularly colorful variety out and documenting it the growing community will know the pictures posted are in fact real, iow, they grow out to description....the point being, 'real' breeders do not need to doctor their pics up because to do so would leave their product inaccurately represented. However, when a 'new' (yet to be made credible) breeder surfaces there stands the chance altering was done......until folks have grown out the variety and can say one way or the other.

Oh, and also, some plants turn out more colorful when grown in a colder climate, something not all growers do, or can do, so some plants might grow more colorful than the exact same plant grown under different conditions somewhere else, so I'd be more inclined to say growing conditions plays a bigger role in producing colorful plants than PS altered pics.

I find PS useful, often use it, but mainly to lighten up a dark shot, or sharpen the image (I often get a bit out of focus so sharpening the image just a bit takes some of the fuzziness out).

Just my :2cents:

Thanks,
dg

radium-

DG: I totally agree with you.. I mainly just wanted to educate the people of how easily it would be to be fooled

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Yes, it's extremely easy to alter pics in PS, but what are you going to do to prevent it? Putting an item into the pic, like a pepsi can, really isn't effective when you're dealing with PS users. You took five minutes to add purple, but add another 30 seconds, and you could mask off the pepsi can to leave it untouched, AND add your purple.

I try to clearly label pics that I've altered, even if it is just to get rid of the HPS Orange as I discuss in my sig. It comes down to honorable folks. As DG said, some breeder tries that, and it won't be long till they're found out and crucified.

If you haven't noticed, folks around IC can get pretty ugly when they feel wronged :D

radium-

NT: Agreed. But I bet you that some people showing off their flowering pics or final budshots have done a little editing to increase the aw factor of their pics..... Just want people to understand not to beleive everything they see

NiteTiger

Veteran
just an example -

Notice the added pepsi can in your pic - complete with (semi) proper shadowing.

It was added before the texture, but remains untouched.

Just gotta be aware, and be ready to spot those that would do things like that, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

radium-

NT: Yea i realized after I said that.... maybe a multicolored ribbon that you drape through the branches bhahahah....

I think this thread may have done more bad than good as it may have given idiots ideas now.... sorry

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that picture is obviously photoshopped. the levels, the contrast, the color are all waaaaay off. if your going to try and pass a nug shot off make it look real.

radium-

jaykush: No I spent 5 mins if that changing color I could make it look real if I really wanted but I just wanted to show what I was talking about.

NiteTiger

Veteran
jaykush said:
that picture is obviously photoshopped. the levels, the contrast, the color are all waaaaay off. if your going to try and pass a nug shot off make it look real.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Didn't even bother reading the thread, did ya? :pointlaug

He wasn't trying to pass off budshots :rolleyes:

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
I absolutely agree with Radium-

and NT: thaz the way to go... just loyality..

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I work endlessly in PS and I've seen a few that have been doctored, if ya know what to look for you can tell.
What really gets me thinking is when we take a picture of someone less than gorgeous and in 5min tweak the photo so she looks hot, you would not believe how many models pics are airbrushed for perfection, it's not human to be that perfect.
It's crude, male, and juvenile but it keeps us boys out of real trouble.

Last edited: