What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALOE VERA

idiit

Veteran
I've tried aloe vera as an organic supplement in quite a few indoor plants. I tried moringa as an organic supplement in quite a few indoor plants. I saw no noticeable improvement over the one's that weren't supplemented with either.

I walked away with the non professional ( i'm not some scientific type) opinion that proper organics in the first place won't show the demonstrable improvements that piss poor dirt might after the amendments.

h.h.

Veteran
I've tried aloe vera as an organic supplement in quite a few indoor plants. I tried moringa as an organic supplement in quite a few indoor plants. I saw no noticeable improvement over the one's that weren't supplemented with either.

I walked away with the non professional ( i'm not some scientific type) opinion that proper organics in the first place won't show the demonstrable improvements that piss poor dirt might after the amendments.
But hey, let's make it a sticky and promote it anyway. Junk science.

Aphotic

well it turns out that aloe grows in abundance behind my apartment building.

my new question is: since there are different varieties of aloe, are they all created equal? or do some have better (or worse) properties for our application?

There are many many types of aloe, I have access to pretty much every variety found on the planet via my father in-law. Some are more medicinal than others according to the cultures that use them, this is something I'm just looking into, mainstream science however maintains that there is no real evidence of any benefit whatsoever. One thing we need to remember is that mainstream science is an old boys club, real breakthroughs often never see the light of day, due to greed, ego, and lack of funding. These days its difficult to get funding for pure research if it doesn't have an immediate profitability.

If you want your aloe vera to make more pups, keep it in a small pot, and keep it root bound. I keep two aloe very plants in my flower room under 2k of HP'smonstersove it, and in 6 months have gone from little 3" pups to monsters with 21" leaves.
picture.php

If anyone is interested in a seed trade, as they become available I can get seeds from many rare varieties. A warning, some aloes are very difficult to get going from seed.

h.h.

Veteran
Aloe does have it's uses. It has been developed and cherished among different civilizations for years and is basically a product of man. You won't find it in the wild. It has been studied.

While science is possibly a good ol' boys club, so are salesmen and they have a much higher profit motive. Misinformation rules the day as one quotes the other and anecdotal evidence collected in an unscientific way is spread in forums where nobody knows our names.

I've personally used a lot of aloe in my grows and compost. I've had large gardens full of it. I really wanted it to make a difference. It never did.

I'm all for research. I've killed many plants on purpose, just to watch them die. Many here have done the same. Many with much greater scientific minds than my own, yet all one sees here, is once again, anecdotal evidence. Sort of a good ol; boys club itself as we let our egos get in the way of science.

Folks are already bottling it up. There is a profit motive. It has been studied intensely. There is nothing to back up any of the claims made here.

For that matter, there is nothing to the claims of scientists being a good ol' boys club. Not all are in it for profit. They are people, just like us. These claims are made mostly by salesmen, who are in it for profit.

Aphotic

Aloe does have it's uses. It has been developed and cherished among different civilizations for years and is basically a product of man. You won't find it in the wild. It has been studied.

While science is possibly a good ol' boys club, so are salesmen and they have a much higher profit motive. Misinformation rules the day as one quotes the other and anecdotal evidence collected in an unscientific way is spread in forums where nobody knows our names.

I've personally used a lot of aloe in my grows and compost. I've had large gardens full of it. I really wanted it to make a difference. It never did.

I'm all for research. I've killed many plants on purpose, just to watch them die. Many here have done the same. Many with much greater scientific minds than my own, yet all one sees here, is once again, anecdotal evidence. Sort of a good ol; boys club itself as we let our egos get in the way of science.

Folks are already bottling it up. There is a profit motive. It has been studied intensely. There is nothing to back up any of the claims made here.

For that matter, there is nothing to the claims of scientists being a good ol' boys club. Not all are in it for profit. They are people, just like us. These claims are made mostly by salesmen, who are in it for profit.

Aloe refers to the genus, aloe vera, is the one most people are familiar with, in the aloe genus there are over 500 species, and they can all be found in the wild.

When I wrote my post yesterday I suppose I should have explained my self more thoroughly.

First of all, my comment about science, was directed at "mainstream" science, my grandfather, a physicist, who has been published many times, is the one who first explained to me the current state of the scientific community. This state of affairs, in the scientific community, is well known among scientists, especially those working on the fringe. In some cases, your theory, undermines another's lifetime of work, especially in cases where the scientist has enjoyed notoriety for their work.

I never said that all scientists act this way, many loath this paradigm, it makes new ideas very difficult to get published, particularly if it is an entirely new way of looking at something. And yes scientists are real people, but just because a scientist wants to study something doesn't mean there is funding to do so, and even if they find funding there is still the issue of being published, and without peer review, their findings hold no weight. Even if they do get published, and their findings go against the status quo, and especially if their findings threaten, let's say the profitability of a large pharmaceutical companies bread and butter products, or some other industries. In the case of pharmaceuticals, just think of how many people need to own up to their mistakes, and how much it could cost them, doctors, pharmacist's, big pharma, the FDA, etc. In reality our species as a whole, aren't really stoked about change, especially if that disrupts a paradigm, that they've not only believed in, but defended their entire lives.

As far as sales reps go, I never once brought them up, I'm not CC. And as far as the efficacy of "aloe vera" on cannabis plants goes, I am undecided, I've taken what others have claimed, and plan on applying it with skepticism, curiosity, and caution. I shouldn't have to explain this, because I never sang the praises of aloe vera as a miricle plant when applied to cannabis.

I simply know a little about aloe, I was excited to see others interested in it, and due to my father in laws nursery of cacti and succulents, many of which are rare, and in some cases have disappeared from their habitats. I have access to most varieties of aloe.

I know that IC has had, and to a smaller extent, still has an good old boys club, and yes people tend to take some of their words as gospel, but that doesn't discredit their knowledge, it also doesn't make them infallible.

Aphotic

And as far as research into medicinal plants goes, currently, beyond pharmaceutical companies, not much, and pharma has a vested interest to obfuscate the truth when it comes to medicinal plants. Big pharma likes to study medicinal plants, in order to find new compounds, then in order to remain profitable they need to synthesize that counpound, so it can be patented. This is just the tip, of a much longer conversation I don't have time to engage in. I just felt the need to defend my self after your response, I didn't feel as though what I had said was so enflamitory, that wasn't my intention.

h.h.

Veteran
And as far as research into medicinal plants goes, currently, beyond pharmaceutical companies, not much, and pharma has a vested interest to obfuscate the truth when it comes to medicinal plants. Big pharma likes to study medicinal plants, in order to find new compounds, then in order to remain profitable they need to synthesize that counpound, so it can be patented. This is just the tip, of a much longer conversation I don't have time to engage in. I just felt the need to defend my self after your response, I didn't feel as though what I had said was so enflamitory, that wasn't my intention.

No need to defend yourself. My intent was to defend the scientific community from broad generalizations. Some are, some aren't.

Your grows look quite healthy and if you want to experiment, I'm all for it.

I personally find the claims for aloe vera purposely vague. These claims are repeated over and over until they become known as "fact".

I suspect that cacti may be of greater interest and importance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...XQ37T4lDzCfHg4RuQ&sig2=FAtJcnNYohy70Kt-TkwDiQ

Aphotic

No problem, I was in a rush with my first post and should have explained myself better. Many of my father in laws plants are not very well known, in fact for several of them, he is the only known cultivator, and for others he is the only source of seed, as others haven't been able to breed them in captivity. He is the sole provider for a few species to the Huntington conservatory.

His focus has never been beyond just keeping these species alive, and selling enough to keep his collection going. He has 7 massive greenhouses in all, and I'm dying to research his collection. One plant I'm interested in, he no longer has in his collection, its layman name is the resurrection plant, I believe it lives in the sahara desert, its seeds germinate and sprout into seedlings in an hour or two, it grows to maturity, flowers, and produces viable seed in about a week. I'd love to get my hands on some seed, I imagine its loaded with growth hormones, and who knows what else.

Aphotic

The one recurring theme I see, is locally source, organic, no till, no bottled nutes, but "buy aloe", buy this concoction, buy that one. It seems counterintuitive, why not promote growing your own, why not put an emphasis on using as much as you can, of the things you can produce, either in your grow rooms, or on your land, balcony, whatever. In a typical flower or clone\mom room there's loads of unused light, and space, not necessarily large sections, but little pockets. For my room I put everything on rolling carts, that I built, so I can easily move things out of the way. What I mostly see, is you need to make your own compost\ewc, but beyond that, everything is purchased. Maybe its the old chemical paradigm holding fast. I'm weary of marketing schemes packaged as honest advice, but I'm not a very trusting person, and maybe not the best judge, certainly not of this community, since I'm so new. Anyways, I love new shiny things, and if I can grow them, or produce them myself, I'm more likely to try them, and if they work incorporate them.

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
The one recurring theme I see, is locally source, organic, no till, no bottled nutes, but "buy aloe", buy this concoction, buy that one.
I went through my bottled nute phase, then came over here with a new found hatred for the bottle. Still depending on your needs, some products are worth buying, at least until you find a suitable replacement.
It seems counterintuitive, why not promote growing your own, why not put an emphasis on using as much as you can, of the things you can produce, either in your grow rooms, or on your land, balcony, whatever. In a typical flower or clone\mom room there's loads of unused light, and space, not necessarily large sections, but little pockets. For my room I put everything on rolling carts, that I built, so I can easily move things out of the way. What I mostly see, is you need to make your own compost\ewc, but beyond that, everything is purchased. Maybe its the old chemical paradigm holding fast. I'm weary of marketing schemes packaged as honest advice, but I'm not a very trusting person, and maybe not the best judge, certainly not of this community, since I'm so new. Anyways, I love new shiny things, and if I can grow them, or produce them myself, I'm more likely to try them, and if they work incorporate them.
Well said.

islandskunker

Rip a arm off your girls? Tear one of your main cola branches tops right off the apical stem? No fear! Take a fresh cutting off of your nearest aloe plant and squeeze the juice/gel in the wound, use some good electrical/duct tape to wrap her back tight.

I had a blue dream branch that got ripped off in some 30 MPH wind gusts and I used this method with a stick as a splint and some green electrical tape. Not a single fucking leaf drooped.

Aloe is always nice to have around

iS

h.h.

Veteran
hello guys i really don't have a dafinate view on weather the aloe in the link is sutible for medicine i previously acquired the product and was wondering about the Sodium copper Chlorophyll-in i looked it up and says its safe and a semi synthetic chlorophyll and just wanted a couple of peoples take .
http://www.vitacost.com/superior-source-aloe-vera-concentrated-powder
I generally say that if you have to ask, the answer is "NO!".
Obviously, I'm not an aloe vera fan. At least not in my soil and not for growing. Why throw something else in the mix? Especially something that's "semi-synthetic". No and no.

AmericanShamen

I generally say that if you have to ask, the answer is "NO!".
Obviously, I'm not an aloe vera fan. At least not in my soil and not for growing. Why throw something else in the mix? Especially something that's "semi-synthetic". No and no.

yea i used it once and that's all , i will probably just get the actual aloe filets if i choose to use at all .. thanks for your input, i did see a difference in when i used whole raw coconut meat water at 1/4 per 1.5 gallon.
what is your take on aloe, may i ask why don't you use it ? just would like an opinion on it

h.h.

Veteran
yea i used it once and that's all , i will probably just get the actual aloe filets if i choose to use at all .. thanks for your input, i did see a difference in when i used whole raw coconut meat water at 1/4 per 1.5 gallon.
what is your take on aloe, may i ask why don't you use it ? just would like an opinion on it

The same reason that I don't use beeswax or earwax for that matter. I'm sure they have benefits as well. What they are, I've yet to discover. I don't like spending money. I don't like expanding my earthly footprint needlessly.
The same goes for the coconut. While I did perceive benefits from using baby coconut, all anecdotal. I didn't feel it was worth the money.

Coconut water has been studied and has been used in the past largely because it was considered sterile. I went from using coconut to using other seed such as black beans, where I felt I was receiving the same benefits. Still not liking the idea of increasing my footprint by using food as a growth medium, I started pulling seeds from my acacia tree. Guess what?

Earwax 10x concentrate. I think Weird's selling it along with Earth Tubes on BAS. Don't follow leaders, pay the parking meters. B.D. I want my cut.

I moved my aloe plants into my tent for the winter. They can't handle the light intensity. Anyone else have this problem? The go brown a day or two of full light. I've been shielding them with cardboard for now.

I always see it listed as a "full sun" plant. Even outdoor in Colorado doesn't agree with it. I had to shade it outside too. Is this normal?

wallywombat

i use aloe as a rooting hormone mixed with manuka honey for cloning outdoors. (shady spot) / or greenho
foiler spray every 3rd day (depending on conditions)
with a organic kelp and seaweed mix for rapid rooting ;)

ALOE FTW !

was listening to a great pot cast last night and one of the dudes from brothers grim mentioned the salicylic acid
about how the plants put it out as a defence i had no idea was a real eye opener.

baduy

Yes it's normal BusinessFactory. Aloe turn reddish in full summer sun and go back to green and vegetate when it starts getting colder. Most of their growth and all of the flowering happens during the cold months actually.
If you grow your aloe outdoor in pots the best thing is to shade them partially in summer and give them maximum sunshine from October till June, dead of summer is best to collect leaves.
On a side note, I don't use aloe vera, I found out aloe Arborescens is just as efficient if not more and grow like weed on my coastal climate,they can endure frost much better than aloe vera does