What's new

Almost losing my 1st harvest; please help

Joltster I

Hello citizens of buddland, I think I'm losing my first harvest and I'm at a lost. I would really appreciate some true honest feedback; pics attached below.

How long has this problem been going on? 2-3wks
What STRAIN are you growing?Various: Auroa Indica, Bubblelicious,Meduzza, & White Widow - all tastyWhat was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)Seed
What is the age of your plants?16wks total 6wks into flowering
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 10wks
How Tall are the plants?30 inches - 42 inches
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?flower
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)N/A
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) 3 Gall
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)Fox farm ocean forest
What Nutrient's are you using?Advance Nutrients:Micro,Grow, & Bloom combo.
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*1.82 ml/L
How often are you feeding/watering? Feed every other week, water every other day
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients? week one of 12/12
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)Micro, Grow,& then bloom.
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?1,200 PPM
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?Dont know
What method of pH test was administered? Hydrofarm dip rod meter
How often are you watering?every other day
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?mentioned
What size bulb are you using?6000w HPS
What is the distance to the canopy?18 inches
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)38-50%
What is the canopy temperature?no canopy, room temp constant 78 f.
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)78 f day 72 f night.
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)449 6"Vortex with can fan 66 filter Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?Vents every 45 min
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?softly oscillates on plants.
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?watering when surface is dry by 2 inches finger dip.
Is your water HARD or SOFT? semi 125 ppm
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? TAP
Are you using water from a water softener? NO
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?No chemicals.
Are plant's infected with pest's?not infected, but do see some black colored little flying insects when I water or move the soil to aeriate.

Peace and thanks to all budd citizens

Last edited:

Parallel

yeah, you've done the hard work answering all your setup questions. What's your problem? If you can't post photos it will be difficult to diagnose. Will be glad to look at your grow for you if you can post some pics or at least give a description of your problem. Peace out mate!!!

drtask

Joltster I - google jhead and use it to strip the meta info from your photos. i think you have to run it through the command line on windows. but jpeg format is fine as long as you strip your metatags using jhead.

Last edited:
Just give us the gist; that form is unwieldy as hell, and I didn't get any useful info from it. The only question you needed to answer was what was wrong with your plants.

Che

Veteran
If a few little fruit flies are your only problem you're on your way to a beautiful harvest, can't see anything wrong in your grow parameters that stands out to me?

Get some yellow sticky traps for the bugs?

IWanaGetHiSoHi

This is just a guess ... Their leaves are yellowing quickly and dying. The roots are rotting and it seems like bud development has halted completely.

IWanaGetHiSoHi

If you have fungus gnats you might have rot ... In any case their larva are eating something as well as your roots. Is that FFOF soil staying wet all the time? I'm guessing again ... but if you're hitting it with water every other day and you see a need to poke around and aerate the mix I'm betting on a soggy (possibly salty) medium that doesn't drain as well as it should.

Che

Veteran
Now we can see them! I'll offer what I can but someone with more experience might offer more insight..

They don't look happy! PH swing or over nuted, those fan leaves are burnt! I would back off on the nutrients next time, and if your soil is compacted add some perlite to it as well.

Give them a good flush with plain water and molasses, and reduce your nutrient ppm for the remainder of this grow, they should finish out ok, but I suspect the combination of nutrients and pre mixed ff soil was too much for your girls.

collegecrop

definitely looks like nute burn. Do you have a PH tester, if not go pick one up you can get a ph test kit for under 10 bucks. Your PH of the water you are most likely watering your plants with is too high and probably needs to come down. Shoot for 5.6-6.0 if possible. Also is it plain water you are watering them with or are you adding nutes? Fox farms normally has a pretty good ratio already set up for you so i wouldnt mess with it much.

-peace and goodluck

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Looks like nute burn and from your description of the bugs fungus gnats.

Ocean forest is pretty high in Nitrogen from the start and Advanced Nutrients is a pretty strong fertilizer.So I think that it maybe your problem with the burning of the leaves.What is the ratio of nutrients your using? I generally use about 1/4-to 1/3 of the recommended ratio on the bottle. I would water with some Ph'd (anywhere of the range between 5.9 and 6.8 is okay.) H2o for a couple of watering cycles, and when their close finishing (2-3 weeks before) flush with straight water to remove the chlorophyll and excess nutes from the plant.

As for the gnats while annoying I highly doubt that they are effecting your yield too much. Make sure next time to give the plant the chance to use most of the water before watering again. Also FWIW i have had a couple of bad experiences buying soil from places that stored their dirt outside, they came with free fungus gnats with every bag. Your first few times will be the hardest, just keep educating yourself on the subject and you'll be able to grow some fire herb.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Agreed on the fungus gnats and the need to flush. Pour 12 gallons of water through each pot, and if you are on city water it would be best to bubble out the chlorine too. Leaf yellowing towards the end of flower is normal as the nitrogen gets used up (stop adding the Grow to the mix!) but you're close to the end of flower, so there is very little you can do to repair it at this point. Test your runoff water, I bet it's higher in PPM's than your input water.

For fungus gnats, go online and order up some Gnatrol WDG, it's a bacteria that the gnat larvae eat and kills them.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
definitely looks like nute burn. Do you have a PH tester, if not go pick one up you can get a ph test kit for under 10 bucks. Your PH of the water you are most likely watering your plants with is too high and probably needs to come down. Shoot for 5.6-6.0 if possible. Also is it plain water you are watering them with or are you adding nutes? Fox farms normally has a pretty good ratio already set up for you so i wouldnt mess with it much.

-peace and goodluck

Fox Farms (as well as most soils) have about 3 weeks of nutes in them, he's on week ten so the "factory" nutes are long gone, it's the AN 3-part he's got built up now. ;) Good to see you on here!

Latest posts

Latest posts