What's new

All Non-Medical State growers

not sure if folks are aware but for those that aren't

1st - i'm the fred flintstone of computerese but learned to use the TOR network to browse anonymously and then learned to use TAILS (The Amnesiac Incognito Live system), basically an abbreviated linux operating system that incorporates a TOR browser. Even using TOR on your personal desktop or laptop, windows still caches a lot of info on where you've been and what you've looked at.

Learned about it visiting the old Silk Road - they had a security forum on their site (surprised i haven't found a similiar forum here) but basically there were complete step by step instructions on how to install TAILS on a thumb drive. You would have to reboot your computer so it would reboot off the thumbdrive, but it kept all browsing 100% secure and anonymous (no valid ip address linked to any post). But your operating system was on the 8 gb thumb drive - nothing logged in the windows system. Apparently windows caches a lot, including thumbnails of any pictures you've downloaded or loaded on your computer.

The "amnesiac" part of Tails refers to the fact that when you shut down, it erased any trace of where you'd been or what you'd done from it's operating system unless you assigned it to the "persistent" volume which you protected with a huge password - for example, if you wanted to save url bookmarks.

here's a link to TAILS download - https://tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html it's legit and as long as no one has access to your thumb drive, you're clean. If you don't know what TOR is, google it - interesting - developed by the US Navy in the mid 90s to give military personnel a way to use the web overseas without being identified as to location.

It's a bit of a pain, shutting the computer down and rebooting with the thumb drive everytime i want to visit sites i don't care for the NSA to know about, but it does offer peace of mind. The other advantage to using a thumbdrive is that once you've set it up, you can carry it on your keychain (they've got em smaller than the head of a house key) and use it in your laptop or a computer at the library etc to browse anonymously.

fwiw

Latest posts

Latest posts