What's new

All about Guano

O

ocean99

First off, I don't know jack shit about guano; other than crazy composer gets amazing SFV yields with it.

That being said I'd like to hear everything you know about it. What kinds to use for veg/flower, what brands/varieties to avoid, and most importantly the most efficient way to use it both indoors and out (topdress, in soil, ect).

Anyone who uses guano with relative success please post your experiences!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
It's good shit!.........I've used bat guano for a very long time and have never had issues with it except some name brands are stronger than others.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
First off, I don't know jack shit about guano; other than crazy composer gets amazing SFV yields with it.

That being said I'd like to hear everything you know about it. What kinds to use for veg/flower, what brands/varieties to avoid, and most importantly the most efficient way to use it both indoors and out (topdress, in soil, ect).

Anyone who uses guano with relative success please post your experiences!
Ocean99

One of the oldest 'bat guano' products out there is the Archipelago Bat Guano (0-7-0) and the importer/distributor wrote an article on bat guano in general titled Is “0-20-0” phosphate bat guano 3 times better than “0-7-0” bat guano?

The reason that I have posted this link several times is that consider that the author is in the business of importing and selling bat guano. He has no axe to grind.

Worth your time to read, digest and ponder, IMHO.

HTH

CC

Stoned Crow

The biggest reason I use it is: It's very forgiving. I haven't yet needed to dip into the blood/bone meal yet, mainly because it's (guano) so easy. Find a high N during veg, use it. Find a balanced high P during flower, you're as good as gold.

The only downside of guano is making sure someone is not selling out their country/natural resources to export it. Honestly, it's a rabbit hole that doesn't end......:tumbleweed:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
The biggest reason I use it is: It's very forgiving. I haven't yet needed to dip into the blood/bone meal yet, mainly because it's (guano) so easy. Find a high N during veg, use it. Find a balanced high P during flower, you're as good as gold.

The only downside of guano is making sure someone is not selling out their country/natural resources to export it. Honestly, it's a rabbit hole that doesn't end......:tumbleweed:
There any number of other agents that will provide whatever urban myth says about bat guano. Products like organic fish BONE meal, organic fish meal, cottonseed meal, alfalfa meal, linseed meal, et al.

Bat guano is an interesting product but contains none of the supposed benefits proffered by the grow store industry.

HTH

CC

Stoned Crow

There any number of other agents that will provide whatever urban myth says about bat guano. Products like organic fish BONE meal, organic fish meal, cottonseed meal, alfalfa meal, linseed meal, et al.

Bat guano is an interesting product but contains none of the supposed benefits proffered by the grow store industry.

HTH

CC

I hear you C.C., but from my experience I've had really good success with guano. I've always been torn between the guano v/ blood/bone meal, but it seems I've started with guano, sort of figured it out, and it has worked for me. I think I'm almost turned to the blood/bone side, due to you are using a waste product rather than screwing with nature, but due to the cold weather and my lazy ass, I'm still feeding guanos.

Truthfully, what I'd like to discuss is "what is the best nutrient that has the least environmental impact?" How could we prove this? What are the paramaters? Who judges this? Let's start asking these questions!! Nobody's perfect, we all do what we do. But from what I read here (why I keep coming back here), WE ALL WANT TO DO BETTER!!!!:smoker::smoker:

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
The thing that freaks me out about using certain "meals" is that I don't really know exactly what these plants/animals were exposed to when they were living. Cotton is one of the most pesticide drenched crops,and cows used to be fed other cows (which were pumped up with all kinds of chemical glue,they did stop that right?)...seems there is always something up the food chain that raises questions.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
The thing that freaks me out about using certain "meals" is that I don't really know exactly what these plants/animals were exposed to when they were living. Cotton is one of the most pesticide drenched crops,and cows used to be fed other cows (which were pumped up with all kinds of chemical glue,they did stop that right?)...seems there is always something up the food chain that raises questions.
Capt.Cheeze

That's why I only buy and use non-GMO, organically grown seed meals from the organic farm supply sources in and around Portland, Oregon.

Sourcing, as usual, is always an important factor in choosing soil amendments. At least from my limited understanding.

YMMV

HTH

CC

Stoned Crow

I truly believe that all "seeds", and "meals" can be done right. IMHO, everything adds something, be it good or bad. You can't tell me someone in Texas can't grow a field of cotton, make it into cotton-meal for organic gardeners, and make some money off of it.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Capt.Cheeze

That's why I only buy and use non-GMO, organically grown seed meals from the organic farm supply sources in and around Portland, Oregon.

Sourcing, as usual, is always an important factor in choosing soil amendments. At least from my limited understanding.

YMMV

HTH

CC
I hear ya'...Gotta' do your homework if you want the real deal. Sounds like you can grow some "Super Vibe" veggies CC....dig it.

Montana

Over the years I've experimented with many different ammendments mixed into the soil to see what works best.....for me:biggrin:

and.......what I've discovered is........bone meal does a far superior job than guano.....

So now, I'm back on bone meal.....and supplement with guano tea

I thought at one point that I could "taste" the bone meal.......but I think I was just being stoned and inexperienced:whistling:

The general health of the plants are better, the yeild is better, and the quality of smoke is better......like as if they were fed a more complete diet all the way through.

I think it might have something to do with the release rate of each, it seems guano gets used up/washed away pretty quickly.

either that or it takes longer than 8 weeks to kick in......

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I hear ya'...Gotta' do your homework if you want the real deal. Sounds like you can grow some "Super Vibe" veggies CC....dig it.
Capt.Cheeze

Here's my 'fertilizer' deal - I bought 50-lb. bags of the following and all are organic and non-GMO products. I mix the following products in equal amounts.

Linseed Meal
Alfalfa Meal
Cottonseed Meal
Sunflower Meal
Canola Meal
Soybean Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Fish Meal
Crab/Shrimp Meal
Neem Seed Meal
Bat guano - 0-7-0
Kelp Meal

I add about 1 cup of this mix to 1 cf. of my organic soil mix.

And then there's minerals.

I use a locally sourced product that consists of equal amounts of the following:

NJ Green Sand
Soft Rock Phosphate
Canadian Glacial Rock Dust
Azomite
Limestone

This product is 'prilled' meaning that over 90% of the 'dust' is removed meaning a safer product.

To 1 cf. of my soil mix I add about 1 cup of the seed meal mix and 2 cups of the mineral mix.

That's it. Water and every 3rd watering add some humic acid, fulvic acid, fish hydrosylate, kelp meal tea and some EM every 2 weeks or so.

That's it.

HTH

CC

Stoned Crow

Capt.Cheeze

Here's my 'fertilizer' deal - I bought 50-lb. bags of the following and all are organic and non-GMO products. I mix the following products in equal amounts.

Linseed Meal
Alfalfa Meal
Cottonseed Meal
Sunflower Meal
Canola Meal
Soybean Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Fish Meal
Crab/Shrimp Meal
Neem Seed Meal
Bat guano - 0-7-0
Kelp Meal

I use a locally sourced product that consists of equal amounts of the following:

NJ Green Sand
Soft Rock Phosphate
Azomite
Limestone

This product is 'prilled' meaning that over 90% of the 'dust' is removed meaning a safer product.

To 1 cf. of my soil mix I add about 1 cup of the seed meal mix and 2 cups of the mineral mix.

That's it. Water and every 3rd watering add some humic acid, fulvic acid, fish hydrosylate, kelp meal tea and some EM every 2 weeks or so.

That's it.

HTH

CC

Why no guanos at all C.C.?

Stoned Crow

Capt.Cheeze

Linseed Meal
Alfalfa Meal
Cottonseed Meal
Sunflower Meal
Canola Meal
Soybean Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Fish Meal
Crab/Shrimp Meal
Neem Seed Meal
Bat guano - 0-7-0
Kelp Meal

NJ Green Sand
Soft Rock Phosphate
Azomite
Limestone

That's it.

HTH

CC

Why no guanos at all C.C., other than the 0-7-0?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Why no guanos at all C.C.?
Stoned Crow

I only added the 0-7-0 bat guano because it's 'expected' by the stoner crowd.

IMHO, bat guano is pretty much a 'needed' agent to appeal to the wannabe growers in and around the OMMP deal.

Just my personal opinion.

YMMV

HTH

CC

Stoned Crow

Stoned Crow

I only added the 0-7-0 bat guano because it's 'expected' by the stoner crowd.

IMHO, bat guano is pretty much a 'needed' agent to appeal to the wannabe growers in and around the OMMP deal.

Just my personal opinion.

YMMV

HTH

CC

As long as your plants are meeting the 'expectations' of the stoner crowd, and if that's what you want, then it looks like you are on the right path.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
As long as your plants are meeting the 'expectations' of the stoner crowd, and if that's what you want, then it looks like you are on the right path.
Stoned Crow

Actually I think that I misstated my case. I only grow for my personal medical needs. I DO sell my fertilizer mix for about $1.50 per lb. to OMMP growers - trust me it's not a 'for profit' endeavor.

It's simply that I DETEST grow stores and their crap. More often than not I give away far more of my mix to MMJ growers in this state than I sell.

Big time.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Capt.Cheeze

Linseed Meal
Alfalfa Meal
Cottonseed Meal
Sunflower Meal
Canola Meal
Soybean Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Fish Meal
Crab/Shrimp Meal
Neem Seed Meal
Bat guano - 0-7-0
Kelp Meal

NJ Green Sand
Soft Rock Phosphate
Azomite
Limestone

That's it.

HTH

CC
Sounds like a custom mix if I ever heard of one! I used to use azomite,green sand,rock phosphate......I thought that since I went with the B. gauno's I didn't need the rock phos.....interesting you ad it and use the guano...being that the gauno does breakdown faster,and the rock phos takes longer,this is probably why eh? I have experimented with various mixes and ferts over the years.
I drifted away from greensand because of the acidity,but it is a great K source...may pick it back up. My current mix was one that I tried to eliminate peat from due to the massive inconsistencies of a couple bails I had used,(they also came infested with fungus gnats) however since I listened to Burn1's advice about EWC and dolomite's ability to correct this problem,I ended up using 1 gallon of peat in my current mix.

Here's my mix:
3 gal perlite
2 gal vermiculite
2 gal coco re-hydrated with a mild EWC tea
2 gal local screened and visually inspected local topsoil (great stuff)
1 gal sunshine #4
2 gal EWC
2 cups P. guano
2 cups N .gauno
1 1/2 cups kelp meal
2 tbls. coffee grinder ground organic eggshells
a heaping 1/4 cup Dolomite lime
Activated with a EWC and kelp tea.

I would like to introduce something like the crab and shrimpmeal,as well as try out cricket poo as a guano booster. Anyway they look good and happy in the mix. I expect the Bat Guano's to begin to be consumed and have to supplement with a tea for flowering. Still need to hed to P-town and get that Neptunes harvest!!!! can't find it up here.
I'm assuming that since my topsoil is this rich black sandy loam glacial washout,I'll get enough trace minerals,plus all the action in this stuff is amazing. It is crawling with little predatory soil mites that are literally hunting for larvae to eat. I'm pretty happy with it.....of course I also have those michorizia spores in the mix...just how useful that is remains quetionable IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts