What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alcohol kills Botrytis and Powdery Mildew

Well, I tried my botrytis bud oil last night and woke up this morning hallucinating fairly radically, but not too uncomfortably. I don't think it was the botrytis that got to me, rather I just experimented with my normal 4 drops (50% cannabinoids/50% olive oil) dropped in a #3 capsule, and it was just too much THC for me. I'm doing fine now, but will dose myself this evening with some AC/DC oil I made yesterday as well.

Other than making me hallucinate in the morning, the oil did the usual trick of getting me a full 8 hours of sleep - not even remembering getting up at least once in the night to pee. I like my oil made from the strain 'Kali' better, in that I only feel groggy in the mornings until after a cup of tea, and I always remember my 2 or 3 trips to the john in the middle of the night. Even though this strain has only .35% CBD, it seems to be enough to waylay most of the effects of THC that I am overly sensitive to.

So, my experiment was a success and I fall into line with Eloquentsolution over at SkunkPharm and will never throw away mildly infected botrytis ridden buds again, but will make oil from them. This particular strain of bud, DogTonic, is not my favorite, but I have some THC loving pals that I'm sure can find a use for it, though mixing it now with olive oil makes it unsmokable (as far as I know). Cheers

sutra1

I'm an experienced outdoor grower, and every year I get a bit of Botrytis. Great on certain grapes & some types of corn. Not so much on weed. I'm with OneLove on this, toss it. I grow for my own head, and its all top shelf or in the compost it goes..............

MJBadger

Veteran
Has anyone here gotten sick from mold

Google Bergamot , a mould on corn that can & has killed . Many years ago it killed dozens of people & turned a load mad , pricks in the area thought the victims were suffering from a form of witchcraft .

Oh you know nothing unusual happened just hallucinated a bit,
Respectfully, have you hallucinated before from to much thc?
If no
it may be an indicator mayhaps...weed dipped in embalming fluid is the only weed that ever made me trip :)
MExican brick didnt know it was dipped

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If no
it may be an indicator mayhaps...weed dipped in embalming fluid is the only weed that ever made me trip :)

High dose THC becomes a psychedelic drug when you have little or no tolerance. Quit for a month, eat a strong edible, and you'll hallucinate like you would from acid or shrooms.

I get this effect pretty much every Friday night now with my hash vape. :) I stay sober Sunday through Thursday, so a couple hits of good hash on Friday gives an experience like a trip.

If no

The answer is "Yes". I hallucinate almost every time I use cannabis in any manner. When I don't hallucinate too much it's pretty fun; but there is some point where it becomes uncomfortable. I was on the border of 'uncomfortable' the morning after I took the botrytis ridden bud oil, but the quality of the hallucinations were similar, but stronger, than I get from my usual dose of oil at night.

I've got a couple of stoner buddies trying the oil out, with their full knowledge of everything (and reading this post), so maybe I'll get some kind of report in a day or two.

You know, I'd never smoke that stuff, nor pass it off on someone else to smoke or use in any way without their full knowledge, and I think that's what some of you gents are extrapolating into my situation. I use the oil I make only for medicinal purposes. After the answer from the microbiologist and 'Analytical 360' in Seattle that the alcohol kills any harmful spores in either botrytis or powdery mildew, and then reading what Eloquentsolution from SkunkPharm said, that they do this all the time and give it to medical patients (after they experimented on themselves with it), I felt confident enough to give it a try.

So, rest easy. I'm not going to be passing it off as organic cannabis in any form, but like someone above said, all you smokers would be dead by now if botrytis or powdery mildew killed, as certainly much of the smoke you've smoked in the past has had at least a bit of both of these molds in it.

Cheers :tiphat:

dabking

There is a thread on moldy buds. You don't want to use the material due to what the mold leaves behind. Any toxins cannot be filtered out unless with a .5 micron syringe filter. Grey Wolf has the knowledge.

There is a thread on moldy buds. You don't want to use the material due to what the mold leaves behind. Any toxins cannot be filtered out unless with a .5 micron syringe filter. Grey Wolf has the knowledge.

But from the same site (and other sites), Eloquentsolution says that botrytis mold is not toxic. They filter it with a .5 micron syringe for flavor. I drop my 50% RSO/50%olive oil concoction into capsules and take them as a sleep aid, so the flavor doesn't matter.

A buddy of mine who has been using my oil for about a year says that he can tell no difference between this botrytis bud mold oil and the oil I've been giving him for the last year. Nor does he think that the 4" in length his penis has grown since taking this oil has anything to do with the oil - he feels fine! (Joke ;-)).

I appreciate all the input and admonishments toward caution, but it's important as well to not limit your spirit of adventure for a general idea living rent free in your mind. All molds are not toxic and dangerous. From all my research, the botrytis mold is not very tasty, especially for smoking, but it is not toxic or dangerous.

Nor would I use the extremely mushy and dark gray slime that I have discovered before on some buds in the past in any oil, but the infected buds I had for this experimental oil were not very bad at all, though they were in the first stages of botrytis infection.

Latest posts

Latest posts