What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alcohol (Ethanol) extractions on hash/kief

Nannymouse

I take the lazy way, just use everclear, strain in a very fine stainless wire strainer, and use a teaspoon in a big glass of juice. Of course, the kiff needs a decarb, first.

Reactions: Rgd

Redrum92

I've painted the inside of papers with concentrate and then smear it with another paper before rolling them
into a joint.

View attachment 18916252 View attachment 18916253 View attachment 18916253 View attachment 18916254 View attachment 18916255 View attachment 18916256 View attachment 18916257
I've also never seen it done with a second paper, genius! I've seen people use it as joint paper glue for making their own papers. I could definitely not finish that joint, looks intense

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A second paper. That never crossed my mind. It's a bit of a task just drawing a line in the right place, to get a roll on that doesn't make a mess.

I don't imagine that dosing cigarettes before the solvent has left, would be very accurate. However it does seem very easy.

I don't smoke tobacco, but I'm always happy to mess about.
Smearing the oil to evenly coat multiple papers insures an even burn.

Oiling the inside of the paper keeps the joint from being sticky to the touch.

Ca++

Yes, I can see why you are doing it that way.
Once you stop smoking paper, like with most things, you become more aware of it. Think ashtray fire, it smells a lot. I only smoke thin papers, and roll so it's only two sheets thick, where the gum line is. Even then, the paper taste is very noticeable. I couldn't quite do that roll with a line of oil, but fairly close. Then smoke with that line along the top. The heat of the approaching tip, has the oil gone, before there can be burning issues. Unless you put in enough to block the joint, as it melts down through it.
I carbon filter my oil, so it's really quite light. The heavy black stuff is a different game altogether. I only smoke honey. Anything else I give away. As I do the scissor hash. So I'm in no rush to make oil from it, as it might be a total waste of time, and make a product with these handling issues. It's already good for gifting as hash. Even as honey it has limited appeal, as it's off a number of different plants. I like the idea of soaking a cigarette in it though. The ethanol will carry it right through the tobacco.

Redrum92

Still have some trim that I have nothing to do with for further experimenting. Think I may try making some dry sift and then ethanol extracting that just to see the difference between that and finger hash/trim hash, maybe a little like how some people press water hash into rosin?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's a washing technique we hear little of. It only works with iso though, as iso won't take on salt.
IPA + salt + water = an upper layer of the same concentration as the azeotrope, 87% by weight. The water in the IPA will carry plenty of salt with it and this will be obvious after total evaporation.

Ca++

IPA + salt + water = an upper layer of the same concentration as the azeotrope, 87% by weight. The water in the IPA will carry plenty of salt with it and this will be obvious after total evaporation.
There is no water in the Iso? Salt is how you separate them. It's a reconised method, I have used myself, by volume. They split well, with just a thin amalgamation layer between them. Black Iso and green water.

Tbh I didn't try it, but others thought it good. I did give it a little taste, but it was like any other Iso I had made. There is something petrochemical about it, that I just don't like.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
There is no water in the Iso? Salt is how you separate them.

Formation of 2 layers doesn't mean that there's no saltwater in the IPA, or no IPA in the saltwater. Whatever you tried yourself didn't involve evaporating (or distilling) a few drops of the IPA layer on a plate.

Ca++

Well of course I evaporated a few drops on a plate. What are you saying?

Unlike ethanol or methanol, isopropyl alcohol is not miscible with salt solutions and can be separated from aqueous solutions by adding a salt such as sodium chloride. The process is colloquially called salting out, and causes concentrated isopropyl alcohol to separate into a distinct layer
The separation takes moments. It's not some slow separation that leaves any doubt. It's a very positive separation.

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It says right there, concentrated isopropyl alcohol - as in 87%, as in also containing a considerable amount of salt. Separation does not mean perfect separation.

Ca++

It's not concentrated at 87% it's an azeotrope with water. The salt takes out the water, because Iso won't mix with salt.

As you are happy to tell me what I have not done (when I have) I will return the favour.

I'm not going to carry on here, unless you are offering something educational. It's already off topic.

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I'm not going to carry on here, unless you are offering something educational. It's already off topic.

It's on topic if someone tries
When using iso, you can add water, then salt.
without evaporating, dissolving in organic solvent, washing with water, and evaporating again.

I could fire up a stirrer and all the distillation gear and kosher salt and 91% IPA and a decent balance without much trouble, and report exactly how much salt remains in the flask after distillation, but surely there are better things to do.

Furthermore what about your tangible evidence that there is no salt in the 87% IPA layer? The IPA doesn't mix with salt, it mixes with saltwater.

Offer you?

I'm not offering something educational, really? And this is my problem? I don't know what off topic and irrelevant is? Maybe this is based on highly scientific principles which are difficult to understand, but they're easy to apply.

Other people *waves* have tried this. It used to be mostly green rubbing alcohol that was available back in the day, 70% (by volume) without additives at best - you kids and your 91 and 100% IPA for extracting you have it so soft. We had to make it ourselves.

Plus, ethanol can be salted out of solution in the same way, with potassium carbonate.

Sub24ox7

Ethanol extractions on flower if you chill the alcohol and weed to at least 0 degrees f it comes out clear and yellow it’s just hard to keep a lot of terps when evaporating alcohol. Under a full vacuum you can keep some.
I’ve not used it on keif. I would think it would benefit it to be as cold as possible too. Would drewax it some too.

goingrey

Amazon Basics IPA is marketed as 99%.

But the MSDS says ">= 90 - <= 100 Actual concentration is withheld as a trade secret" 😲

Latest posts

Latest posts