What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alchemy term: 'wash' Definition??

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In my wanderings I came across a reference to 'washing' a hterogeneous mixture of liquids and solids. Wth does 'wash' mean?? lol

My thoughts run to:
  • Filtering the solids and running additional clean water through them
  • Adding water, letting it settle and then pouring some off the top, then repeat...
  • Something else???

I have zero additional information to add because I do not have it to share. Rather lost on this one, so without clarity it means a lot of additional trial and error. lol

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Life's a ride... right!? ;)

Cerathule

washing' a hterogeneous mixture of liquids and solids.
6p1ffrfx.jpg

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Filtering comes to mind, but I don't know exactly what procedure is being referred to.

Maybe it means shaking with a nonpolar solvent and separating the layers.

It's not a very specific term but we can all speculate.

Cvh

Supermod
Some info from Google. I think it means using a solvent to clean up a solution.

Washing is the process of selectively removing unwanted compounds from a mixture using a solvent. For a washing to be successful the unwanted materials must be more soluble in the solvent than in the mixture. Additionally, the solvent and mixture must be immiscible. Immiscible solvents are not soluble in each other and form two layers when mixed.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
If you are performing an acid/base extraction then a nonpolar solvent is used to dissolve the base participate that was freed from the acid salt by alkalinization.

I'm pretty sure that is what is happening here 😂

A Ziploc bag makes a cheap separatory funnel just to put that out there.

Good luck Doug!

Reactions: Cvh