What's new

Albums that changed your life

Darth Fader

This is probably the biggest credit to an artist - for a fan to acknowledge that his record changed your life.

1. List the albums that changed your life.
2. List it's significance in that regard.
3. This is not a great album list. It's not the list for tapes that never left the car stereo tape-deck for months on end. This list is for records that you emotionally connected with in a truly compelling, life changing way, that completed shifted your paradigm or how you saw/see the world, that may have made you felt that the writer/s understood you, how you felt, or where you were coming from. It consoled you in a way, getting you through hard times and was celebrated with as a best friend in good times. It was formative in making you are who you are today.

I'll start:

180px-The_Who_-_Quadrophenia.jpg

The Who - Quadrophenia
This might be the first teen angst record made and I discovered it in the midst of my own teen angst, in high-school, when you start becoming acutely self-aware, self-critical, aware of the two-faced hypocrisy of society, angry, hurt, and desperately want to get laid for the first time. It made me feel less alone with that big, heavy chip on my shoulder. I took solace in the beauty and artistry of this great album and a lot of other work by The Who/Pete Townshend. Oh, and yeah, it totally rocks. Rocker or Mod? I dunno, can't pick a side.

180px-Pink_Floyd_-_The_Dark_Side_Of_The_Moon.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Floyd + weed makes you a good human being. It's been mathematically proven (Fader's Law). "Generals sat and the lines on the map moved from side to side." This album may be the greatest concept album of all time. It definitely helped me to become a more empathetic and recognize evil - ego & lack of empathy and compassion. It's almost a primer on good & evil in the world and the inescapability of both those forces - yin & yang, if you will. It also has a completeness about it (like The Wall), like a circle, which adds to it's artistry. Thank Zeus for this record!

180px-Jane%27s_Addiction_-_Nothing%27s_Shocking.jpg

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
EPIC! Yes, it totally effin rocked! Yes, it came out of nowhere and was a game changer; this was the original record that killed the hair bands, a lob-pitch that set-up Nirvana for the coup-de-gras. But it was more than that, it was a new identity. Is it like a religious awakening or an infection? It's as if part of my brain was switched out. This record affected me in such a profound way that, literally for a couple years, if you didn't know who Jane's Addiction was or didn't like them, I didn't want to know you. I don't really know how to explain it other than that. Their following album was even better, but this is the one that turned the worm.

Now it's time to go enjoy the finer things.
:tiphat:

DF

MMJcali

Experience-Hendrix-The-Best-Of-Jimi-Hendrix.jpg

Was thumbing through my dads record collection (which is 90% beatles) and came across this guy. He looked funky so I gave it a whirl.

I was never the same after that day.

Also, if any of you watch The IT Crowd (a british TV comedy), I was about to say "Cradle of Filth"....but then i realized only 2 people on this forum might get it.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Pink Floyd ~ Meddle
Savoy Brown ~ Hellbound Train
T. Rex ~ Electric Warrior
Frank Zappa ~ ~ ~
Bongo Fury
Baby Snakes
The Grand Wazoo
Man from Utopia
Weasels Ripped my Flesh
Joe's Garage Act(s) I, II & III
200 Motels & too many others...

Milt Jackson ~ Opus de Funk
Combustible Edison ~ I, Swinger

RetroGrow

Veteran
Rolling Stones-First album.
Beatles White Album
Electric Ladyland-Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin-First Album
Pink Floyd-Dark Side Of The Moon
Santana
The Who-First
Crosby, Stills & Nash-First
Cream-With Eric Clapton playing Spoonful, one of greatest guitar solos ever, and he was only 19.
Damn! Stoner memory made me forget some, but was reminded by other's:

Legend-Bob Marley, my man. Sang in the chorus @ one of his shows!
Blow By Blow-Jeff Beck
Aja-Steely Dan
Money For Nothing-Dire Straights
Moondance-Van Morrison
Allman Brothers Live @ Fillmore-Was @ that show!
Pearl-Janis joplin
Mad Dog & Englishman-Joe Cocker

Have seen all of those performers live.

Last edited:

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
Crosby, Stills and Nash
CSN&Y
The Allman Brothers At Fillmore East
Neil Young Harvest
Pink Floyd Dark Side Of the Moon
Jethro Tull Aqualung

G

gloryoskie

In no particular order:

Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow
The Allmans At Fillmore East
Tull, Thick as a Brick
Led Zep, Physical Graffitti
Steely Dan, Aja
Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall
Lindsey Buckingham, Gift of Screws
Buddy Guy, Sweet Tea
Van Morrison, Moondance
Hatebreed, Perseverance
Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
Rage Against The Machine, self titled

So many more but each of these selections were pivotal to me in one way or another.

The Allmans Bros Fillmore east[the reason they are all smiling on the cover is because Duane had an ounce of coke in his hands.] Number 2 would have to be Grateful Dead Reckoning,used to love that record back when I got faded,number 3 The Chronic from DR. Dre a very siminal important record of my youth and even today stands the test of time unlike most 90s hiphop,number 4 I really liked the Doors when I was young and I gotta put Morrisons Hotel or Waiting for the sun in there and of course the Entire Pink Floyd catalog of witch I got to see the Division Bell tour best show of my life I was on at least 800 mics.

G

Ganja D

Guns and Roses, Appetite for destruction. This album probably affected my life more than any other.
Also all Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath,and a bunch of other stuff.
And, Biggie,Ready To Die. Yea.

C

Capital G

2pac Thug Life-It was an eye opening lesson in how being true to the streets doesn't mean you have to be ignorant and the life that so, many tell you will get you nowhere can actually be a positive means to an end. Definitely, shaped my G into what it is today. Classic!!!

R

Rysam

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Mothers Milk
Dark Side of the Moon of course
Juanas addiction- Ritual de lo habitual
AC/DC- Highway to Hell & Back in Black

LIFEISGOOD

Metallica - And Justice for All
Nirvana - Nevermind
Widespread Panic- Space Wrangler
DMB- Crash
Pink Floyd- Momentary Lapse of Reason

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Bob Marley: Legend...introduced me to Tuff Gong and before that one Black Sabbath: Paradoid.

AGBeer

158500.jpg

I remember my grandmother accusing me of listening to that 'Heavy Metal Music' when I played a hole into this vinyl. (Pre-adolescence)

220px-Metallica_and_justice_for_all_a.jpg

Of course this opened my eyes to the VERY diverse metal world and gave me a drummer to follow religiously. (Angry post pubescent teen) Eventually dhelved as far as the death metal scene from here.

album-frizzle-fry.jpg

Graduated from trying to locate the fastest hardest shit possible and focused on music that was off the grid. This album made me look at music and musicians in general in a totally different light. I still shudder to think that during my metal days, I had the audacity to argue with a guy that Lars Ulrich was a better drummer than Neil Peart. Needless to say, after my musical awakening I went and revisited all things Rush as well.

This was the album that did it.

trichosaurus

*Stoned User*
Veteran
Neil Young ~ Harvest
The Doors ~ The Soft Parade
Nirvana ~ Nevermind
Stevie Wonder ~ Innervisions
RHCP ~ Mothers Milk
Beatles ~ Magical Mystery Tour
Bob Marley ~ Legend
Jimi Hendrix ~ Best of Hendrix
Pink Floyd ~ Animals

Last edited:
R

Rysam

looking through all these titles i really cant confine my list to that short one I posted earlier. I've been thinking about it real hard since, there's just so many tunes that have influenced what I am today.

SKAGITMAGIC

jeff beck truth, the version of blues deluxe helped me thru couple divorces, lol, steve miller children of the future, Vanilla fudge, there covers moved me, isaac hayes hot buttered soul. Neil young, all his early stuff,there is so much of the old stuff i still listen to, I never matured musically, Now it's huge, Best of everybody pirated from napster etc. MP3s I love it.

V

vonforne

Pink Floyd-Obscured by Clouds and Animals
Sound Track to Easy Riders
Jeff Beck ...all
Robin Trower-Day of the Eagle
Lynard Skynard-One more from the Road
Jimi.....all his albums

and many others. That music made me the counter culture person that I am now.