What's new

AK Auto (RQS) x (Medical Mass x White Rhino)

aliceklar

20221002_104240_8.jpg

20221002_104226_7.jpg

20221002_104219_4.jpg

20221002_104211_1.jpg
20221002_104134_1.jpg

Watered last night with 1ml@ A+B 350ppm. Trying not to overfeed/water, and letting these dry a little between waterings until the roots are developed. Also remembered how much I hate syringing runoff from trays! Need to work out a more elegant (low tech) solution.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
So small plants should not be yellow in big pots with fresh soil, that's strange. :unsure:

Btw, why do you put two plants in one pot?

aliceklar

So small plants should not be yellow in big pots with fresh soil, that's strange. :unsure:

Btw, why do you put two plants in one pot?
It's coco, not soil - so its more like hydro (because the coco doesnt contribute much). They've perked up with daily watering - I think I was forgetting that I wasnt growing in soil and trying not to overwater.

There were 4 seeds planted in each pot (44) - unsure about how viable they would be, and tester population only had c 50% viability. So I planted lots and culled down (22) :) Will remove all that dont show auto, so expecting to cull another 15 or so to get the plants that breed true for the auto trait.

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
going well, just a question regarding culling the stronger ones you mentioned, is that because you think they are more likely male or what are your thoughts behind doing that?

aliceklar

going well, just a question regarding culling the stronger ones you mentioned, is that because you think they are more likely male or what are your thoughts behind doing that?
I was culling the ones I didnt like the look of - I figured that 2 plants per pot was the most I could push it and still get some seeds from this. And about 40 germinated... so it had to be done. I expect to get approx 6 autos, and hope to get both males and females - or even all males would be OK, just a PITA for this next generation.

aliceklar

looking good!
Thanks @Cakeboy :) they are growing so fast now... will be a squeeze. Will need to lower them again in a few days at this rate. Reckon another week now until the autos start to show & I can select down again - just need to keep them on the rails until then. Pleased with how sturdy and vigorous these are. Planning to carry on with the 1.5ml A+B twice daily, and up the feed once they start flowering.

aliceklar

Lots more stretch. Lowered the plants down away from the lights again. One definite male auto declared, and several more about to show their colors from the look of it. Very happy with this experiment, especially as this round has been done in just 11 litres of medium in a standard plant tray under only 40 w of basic LED. Will update w pics soon once I've got a few more autos confirmed and can cull down. Too crowded atm. There are a few runts, but I am holding fire for now - if they show auto I'll give them a chance.

Reactions: zif

aliceklar

Still only one definite auto - but its a banger. One nice male with dense flower clusters. Sadly nothing else is yet showing sex... this might be because there is only one male auto, and females generally mature a little slower than the males. Fingers crossed I get plenty of female autos too.

aliceklar

This is getting silly - growing like crazy now. I'm seriously hoping I get some more flowering soon. The male has started shedding pollen (collecting it in a 5ml sample jar) - but none of the other 21 plants are showing sex. I took them all out 1 by 1 for a close inspection, but nada. Culled a few of the runtiest.

20221030_125758_1.jpg

20221030_125821_9.jpg

20221030_150527_2.jpg

Might keep the pollen (in the fridge - or freezer?) & pop some more seed to see if I can get females.

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
Looks like you have a ~1.5% chance of only finding one or fewer autos out of 22 plants (assuming 1/4 chance of auto in this generation)! What an annoying lottery to (maybe) have won.

At least the one is a male, though, eh? Last m/f batch of (fully-)autos I ran came up with 0 males in half a dozen plants. Switched gears to an outcross with saved pollen, but, man, not what I wanted! 🤦🏻‍♂️

aliceklar

Looks like you have a ~1.5% chance of only finding one or fewer autos out of 22 plants (assuming 1/4 chance of auto in this generation)! What an annoying lottery to (maybe) have won.

At least the one is a male, though, eh? Last m/f batch of (fully-)autos I ran came up with 0 males in half a dozen plants. Switched gears to an outcross with saved pollen, but, man, not what I wanted! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yeah, the male is a step in the right direction. I'm starting more seeds. Thankfully I have plenty. And doing outcrosses with everything else ( always on the menu).