What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aircooled lights-and carbon filter.HELP Please

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
ok now i am running two 600 watt lights, and i am aircooling them. i am planning on running c02. i am using a dual hose portable AC to help with the cooling. i am exhausting the lights through an extra laundry exhaust since i remodeled my basement and moved the dryer to the other side of the basement. my question is as follows. will the air coming from the air cooled lights contain smell if i am not recirculating the air? i am taking cold air from another area in the basement, pulling through the lights, and exhausting through the dryer vent. should i add a carbon filter to this, or should i have the filter just hanging in the room and recirculating the air that way? thanks a lot people. the more input the better. peashout

B

Bud Bug

Just make sure you seal up all the duct and air cooled shades good and if its a pretty straight line put the fan at the beginning and push the air though the shades. This will first create positive pressure in the duct/reflector and it'll force fresh air into the room through any small holes instead of sucking in smelly air from the grow room through the same small holes.

You could also get an inline charcoal filter and put it after the fan or closest to the dryer duct. http://hydrotek.ca/en/product.php?id=333

659_air%20box4.jpg

1G12

If you aren't pulling air from the space that yur plants occupy, then I don't see how the spent air from the lights whould have any smell. And if yur using CO2 then you need to keep that area sealed or else waste the CO2.

B

Bud Bug

then I don't see how the spent air from the lights whould have any smell.

A lot of air cooled shades have some places where screws and wires come in which are not fully sealed. So you have to tape/silicone those places other wise if the fan is sucking air at the end of the line it'll be creating a vacuum which can cause smelly air from the room to get in through small opening in the ducting/shades.

AOD2012

Veteran
i have two 90 degree turns. they are located where i am pulling cold air from another part of my basement so right at the intake and the other is at the other end of the lights where the exhaust exits the room. so basically if i push the air through the lights instead of pulling it, it will push the smelly air back into the room and not out the exhaust and out of the dryer vent? and should i just have the carbon filter hanging in the room just recirculating the air? thanks a lot for the input people, it is much appreciated.

KosmoKramer

Make sure most of all small leaks are sealed. Any very small holes I wouldn't be too worried about. Any tiny cracks or pin sized leaks will simply get bypassed by the force of the air rushing past them instead of sucking from the grow space. And since you are pulling fresh air from an outside source, there shouldn't be hardly any vacuum effect to worry about.

Use your fan to PULL the air thru the lights. Much more efficient with less stress on the fan. Not to mention you'll get better results. I've tried both ways and pulling is better.

As far as the carbon filter, have it inside your growing space so the smelly stale air is filtered, then removed from the grow space. If you can keep temps cool enough it can be exhausted inot the basement AFTER it gets scrubbed. Your using CO2 so your fan inside the grow area will be on a timer (assumed) so every time it runs, the air gets scrubbed before being exhausted from the space

Good luck

AOD2012

Veteran
ok so kosmo i just want to get this right. i am a little confused. do i have have two separate fans? one fan that just cools the lights by pulling the air through? then have another fan that is attached to the carbon scrubber and set to a timer that exhausts the air at timed intervals? do they exhaust out of the same hole or should i cut two different ones? thanks a lot

KosmoKramer

Sorry this is so late.

If you are planning on cooling your light SEPARATE from ventilasting your grow space than 2 fans are needed. 1 fan for the light, and another timed to ventilate the grow space thru the scrubber at various times throughout the day.

Optional is to pull air from inside the grow area, thru the scrubber, then go thru your lights, and exhaust outside the grow space. If your using CO2, this setup will be wasting a lot of the CO2 IMO. Basically making in ineffective due to the air inside the grow area being constantly exchanged and not letting the CO2 stay at useful ppm's.

Your last post is correct if you plan on using CO2. I would use 2 holes personally.

Latest posts

Latest posts