What's new

$$$Air Pots and Smart Pots Club$$$

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Clackamas Coot

What do you mean a #20 Air Pot? Is that a certain size? Can you post a link to that size and the different sizes if that is the case?
It's a 20 gallon pot for the sake of this discussion though that's not completely accurate. A #1 pot in the horticulture industry is not a 1 gallon pot - it's a .75 gallon pot. A #2 pot is not 2 gallons but rather 1.75 gallons. Long story and pretty stupid.
What does HTH mean?
HTH = Hope that helps.................

HTH

CC

It's a 20 gallon pot for the sake of this discussion though that's not completely accurate. A #1 pot in the horticulture industry is not a 1 gallon pot - it's a .75 gallon pot. A #2 pot is not 2 gallons but rather 1.75 gallons. Long story and pretty stupid.

Most things in life worth talking about are :)

I didn't know they made Air Pots that big :D that's cool
I will definitely want to use those in my grow.
What kind of yield are you pulling with a pot that big?
And how long do you veg?
Bloom?

Container size usually has quite a lot to do with this yes? Because it effects the overall size that the plant can get. A cap if you will.

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
You should transplant them into 5gal Air Pots and do those next to the regular ones I think you see a bit of a difference with the way you said but they roots are going to go from air pruning to circling around the pot so I don't see it helping very much...

roots dont grow much during flowering. This depends on strain. Sativas will send roots out further into flowering. When they do grow initially they will be growing into all fresh mix. without the stress of roots continually dying back. You may be right but i think going from a 1 gallon air pot to a 5 gallon flowering pot with organic soil is ideal. Just a theory. I am willing to try your way as well in further experimentation. Watering continually was a concern for me at the moment, so that was another reason I wanted to stay away from them in flowering.... so many experiments to do :)

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Another source is here which is owned by an associate of mine.

Regardless I believe that his prices are fair but you can probably find lower prices.

No big deal - just another source and little more.

CC

Wow good deal cheaper there... gonna have to check out what it would come to after shipping. Thanks CC! :wave:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I didn't know they made Air Pots that big :D that's cool
I will definitely want to use those in my grow.
What kind of yield are you pulling with a pot that big?
And how long do you veg?
Bloom?

Container size usually has quite a lot to do with this yes? Because it effects the overall size that the plant can get. A cap if you will.
Pineydoobey

The specific African sativas that I tested in a multi-plant grow are landrace strains and therefore the yields are rather anemic by the claims made by commercial seed companies.

Finish time was 19 weeks and I probably pulled them a couple of weeks early. Fairly typical for pure sativa strains from what I understand.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Wow good deal cheaper there... gonna have to check out what it would come to after shipping. Thanks CC! :wave:
GrnMtnGrwr

Because they 'break down' and lay flat the shipping charges are greatly reduced because you won't be charged 'dimensional weight' vs actual weight as such.

BTW - forgive me because I cannot find the friggin' link but out there, somewhere, is someone that makes an 'after-market' handle product which is quite helpful if one is starting an outdoor grow in an indoor environment or a greenhouse paradigm in that the handle allows you to move these pots from here to there rather easily.

If you call the gentleman in Canby, Oregon you may want to ask him about these handles. Well worth the time and effort, IMHO

Peace

CC

Pineydoobey

The specific African sativas that I tested in a multi-plant grow are landrace strains and therefore the yields are rather anemic by the claims made by commercial seed companies.

Finish time was 19 weeks and I probably pulled them a couple of weeks early. Fairly typical for pure sativa strains from what I understand.

Sorry to hear your plants are anorexic.
:laughing:

From what I hear all sativa dominant strains have an overall longer growth period. You wouldn't think so though because of how low the yield usually is. But what they lack in thickness they supposedly make up for in height. I've heard of plants as tall as 20' high!! :jump:

Of course these were outdoors. Even still I have read many a time of growers sativa's outgrowing there rooms before they even start flowering.

But hey :wave:

I asked a question in the last post... kinda :)

About pot size and how it effects overall growth capacity. Any input on this? Bigger root structure is one of the key factors in plant growth capacity right?
Any input?

billspreston

They're a VERY good company - a legend in the Willamette Valley among horticulture growers. Their prices and customer service is beyond reproach.

CC

I've ordered from them 3 times now and each time has been great. Fast shipping, well packaged, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone at all!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
About pot size and how it effects overall growth capacity. Any input on this? Bigger root structure is one of the key factors in plant growth capacity right?
Any input?
Pineydoobey

That's pretty difficult to quantify exactly because so much is phenotype/genotype dependent.

Having said that, let's assume that I'm growing 'Strain A' and in a standard lipped-nursery container (the standard pot you would buy at a nursery or indoor garden store) let's say that the root mass weighs out at 8 lb. in a #5 pot.

In a SmartPot or Air Pot it wouldn't be beyond the norm to increase that by a factor of 150% - i.e. 12 lbs of root mass in the same size pot using these auto-pruning/air-pruning type of pot.

Again much of that is strain/genetic dependent as usual.

HTH

CC

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
What up guys? I use the 5 gallon airpots and airpots only! Love them from the moment I saw how well they worked. I used to get averages of 3-4 ounces per plant in my style of growing, now I average 5-6 even on strains not dialed in. The key is the roots. If you put them in airpots just at flower you will not see a increase in yield cause the roots dont grow much during flower, like someone already stated. Transplant to the airpots as soon as you can in veg and you will see the increase. I have also tried the smartpots and they work well also. Just not as well as the airpots for me. All the plants below were grown in my airpots. I personally will never grown in anything else unless they can top what im gettin from these. I also think I could do just a good in a hydro setup if not better.

8 gallon airpot with a Blue Dream momma
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sweet Tangerine

picture.php

Trust me! For the $7-8 bucks the pots cost me, ive already made that cost back in weight and yield. Easily.

I also think I could do just a good in a hydro setup if not better.

picture.php

So are you saying you hand water these gals?
Is that perlite?

BTW
That's a beautiful Blue Dream you've got there.
Mind if I take her out? :bigeye:

How many different strains are you currently growing other than the 2 shown?

How long have you vegged and flowered for the Blue Dream Momma? How many lights?

-Pine

Rainman

Veteran
I premix nutes in a 18 gall trash can and use a aquarium pump to water each. Chunky perlite. 2k in lites all hps. I usually veg til the 24 inches tall and I currently have 20 mothers I work with. Perlite keeps the gnats at bay.
Good Luck!

I premix nutes in a 18 gall trash can and use a aquarium pump to water each. Chunky perlite. 2k in lites all hps. I usually veg til the 24 inches tall and I currently have 20 mothers I work with. Perlite keeps the gnats at bay.
Good Luck!

Wow sounds like a nice little setup. So isn't your watering system technically hydroponic...? You said aquarium pump or do you just turn that on at watering time and bring it to each plant?

I'm curious

-Pine

Rainman

Veteran
I dunk the pump into the can and attach a hose that pushes the water out. Like using a regular hose but mine is coming from the trash can and nutes. Not hydro at all but alittle easier on the back for sure!

I dunk the pump into the can and attach a hose that pushes the water out. Like using a regular hose but mine is coming from the trash can and nutes. Not hydro at all but alittle easier on the back for sure!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought hydro was using a soiless medium and using water to transport the nutrients directly to the roots.

If that's the case then you're using a hydroponic system it's just not automated.

Do I sound like a dick when I type? I hope not :X