What's new

Air layering tops

Excellent posting & info. I've failed twice w/ traditional clone dome and a crapload of bagseed clones. I was making some practice and attempting to sex them at the same time.

I figure that because of all the effort thus far w/ proper genetics I want a no lose situation & have serious needs for a mother plant. So this is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. It is also highly recomended by Conwell Clarke who wrote "Marijuana Botany." That is a great read if you want some very detailed botany/marijuana insight.

Cheers & Thanks for the Tutes. This site rocks!:greenstars:

Peace:plant grow:

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Great thread. Hadn't worked with airlayering before, but it sounds like something to experiment with. Thanks for posting. The part about the potential root development is interesting. :)

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Yeah, this is definitely something I'd love to try...Sounds like a great technique for those of us who have to be concerned about plant numbers!

Thank you Sunnyside, for posting this!!!!! :plant grow:

<<Bookmarked>>

OPT

Great thread! Never even heard of this technique before but it seems awesome, will def give it a try in the future!

OPT

G

Guest 88950

got 2 being air layared right now, 6 days in.

i saw this in jjscorpio's cloing stickey a few yrs ago but just now tried it.

SKUNK420

I found this soap container at the local Rite Aid store, but any similar store will have them to. It was $2 bucks to much for some cheap foreign plastic. I just hope it doesn't off gas j/k.
I'm going wrap it with foil to keep the light out and prevent algae build up. You'll find it in the make-up area where they have the small containers for airline travel etc..

I used this container because I've have tried air layering many times in the past with no success. With plastic wrap the cube would always dry out to quickly. I wanted to replicate a clone dome around the cube.

I ended up shortening this soap holder container and then hot gluing the seems back together. On a bigger plant it would have been fine.

I thing I have notice when I over pinch a stem is that as it heals it will swell up and split open. My theory is to pinch the stem first. Wait a day or two for it to start healing and the split to start forming. That way I don't have to scrap the outside layer of the stem before applying the rooting gel or in my case Dip & Grow.

I've had great success taking the cutting and letting it soak in Dip & Gro for a minute or two. Then dusting it with Super Natural rooting powder. Anywhere that the Dip & Gro touches will form the callus or white bumps where the roots will shoot out of. Even 1/2" above the cube I've had roots shoot out of the stem.Both products are very high in Indole 3-Butyric Acid as compared to other cloning gels. 1% for the Dip & Gro and 0.8% for the Super Natural. I've also use Clonex with Super Natural with the same results but I run out of Clonex faster then Dip & Gro and it's cheaper then Clonex.

I forgot to say what strain this is. It's Cali Cons Black Water picked up as a clone from a dispensary. Info from their site says it's a Mendo Purps female crossed with a SFV og male. Smells like Jolly Rancher grape candy when in bloom. The taste is mostly on the purps side, the svf og doesn't really stand out much. Overall it's a good smoke. I've made almost a hundred clones from the mom I had before flowering it out. I've had roots as early as 5 days on a few clones but most take 10 to 14 days.

Attachments

• air layer.jpg
    air layer.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 29
  • air layer (1).jpg
    air layer (1).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 25
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 24
  • cube on stem.jpg
    cube on stem.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 28
  • dipngro stem.jpg
    dipngro stem.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 29
  • cube prep.jpg
    cube prep.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 31
  • cube prep (1).jpg
    cube prep (1).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 26
  • pinched stems.jpg
    pinched stems.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 32
  • pinched stems (1).jpg
    pinched stems (1).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 35
  • blackwater.jpg
    blackwater.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 28

SKUNK420

Here is a pic of what I was hoping would happen. Just like in a clone dome there is humidity formed on the inside of the container.

Wait and see. I'll post an up date in a week or when the roots pop out.

Attachments

• humidity inside.jpg
    humidity inside.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 29

SKUNK420

I took a look inside the cube and it's starting form callus's on the stem. Hopefully in another week I'll a root or two.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Brilliant!! :tiphat:
I love this thread/idea! I've been anxiously waiting to try this out myself...

This is such a good technique for anyone who has to worry about plant numbers...

Thanks for the tips guys!! :thank you:
Looking forward to seeing tons of roots, Skunk420!!
:witch:

SKUNK420

I did another check, I took a look down the slit of the rockwool cube and saw a nice big callus had formed. Hoping with in the next week it form roots.

I've had to enlarge the slots in the soap dish where it slips over the stem because the stem has been getting bigger in diameter and was getting squeezed / choked by the soap dish.

SKUNK420

Well it's been a long time, to long actually but it has finally popped out a root on 4/7. I started this on 2/25 so it's been about 6 weeks for it to produce a single root. I also have to say that I've been flowering this plant for 9 days now and will not be chopping the branch off to veg out. I decided to just flower the whole plant out. I already took clones from this plant 3 weeks ago that are rooted, transplanted and vegging out already. I can make a new mom out of one of those.

It was cool that it did root, I wish it would have rooted sooner. If time is not a factor then go for it. The soap dish worked out just the way I wanted it to. I wanted something to go around the rockwool and keep it from drying out yet still letting it breath. I never had to water the cube the whole time.

edit 7-10: harvested around 4.5 oz under a 600w hortilux / SS mag ballast in early June

Attachments

• air layer rooted.jpg
    air layer rooted.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 28
  • air layer rooted (2).jpg
    air layer rooted (2).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 27
  • air layer rooted (3).jpg
    air layer rooted (3).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 26

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi SKUNK420 , sorry to fnd it took so long.

Good idea with the soap container , will be trying that on outdoor shrubs.

Have done a lot and the only way i find to reliably root in ten days , is to completely remove the outer layers from the stem in a continuous ring of 20 mm or so , with a scalpel/tweezers.

Even a small amount left can negate the effect , roots very slow if ever , with carefull surgery it takes 7 - 10 days reliably to this stage if the plant is growing well.

picture.php

joe guy

Well just got back from the local hydro shop with sum clone ex had a few rock wool left over from the last batch of clones gona get my scalpel out and doctor joes goin in for surgery can't pass this idea up. I'm allways up to learn sumthin new ( to me any way) thanks for the script sir ill chime in whe I get sum results...