What's new

Air fryer. Anyone done it yet?

Ca++

I have not had contact with an air fryer, but see them at £14 ($20) in ASDA. I know it's basically a fan oven, that will hold 3oz at a push. It seemed to have the range of temps you might find on a volcano. I presume they leak though. They must let steam out during cooking. Would I need turkey bags to put my weed and a straw in? It would be a quick heat up process without bagging the green, so I wouldn't expect major losses. Or I could even put the air fryer in a turkey bag. Cook. Open the door. Then empty the bag. It would be a bit like a volcano, but with a bigger crucible. Like ~2 liters, instead of ~50ml. So I reckon it should work well.

I had thought about a sous vide for decarb.

I cook with an air fryer all the time. I don't think it will heat evenly a toaster oven may do better. Air fryer works great as a convection style oven and yes it does vent air pretty hard. They are also slower to heat up thicker things with mass but quick to melt some cheese or something like that..

Cactus Squatter

Couldn’t live without mine. Does the best Korean style chicken wings I’ve ever had!
Only thing I don’t like is all 3 styles of air fryer I’ve owned are a pain to clean up after.

I wouldn’t use it for anything weed related though. I don’t think it’s consistent enough and you’ll definitely have some loss.

I do a lot of my decarb using the Sous vide method.

Ca++

Stainless steel to avoid the toxins at temp. ;)
Yeah, I was thinking how I could bag up a fryer, without melting it. It has components not made for getting hot, even in a stainless one.

I need to lay my hands on one, and see just how considerable the losses are, during normal use. I think it's designed to recirculate, but with the losses needed to stop it becoming a mini sauna in there.

I should find a pic..

Oh, the description at places like tech radar, don't match the implementation I'm finding. What I'm finding, is just a little fan oven. You can look up, and there is the element, like the rings on a 70s cooker. Just before they got out of shape doing knives. Above the element, a fan like in your fan oven. It is offering circulation, but there is no taking hot air from an element and ducting it around. Nowhere in an air stream to put some bud. I have been mislead.

I will have to go back to my own oven. Baking jars of weed and then sticking a straw in. Like a milkshake.
I'm determined to get fcuked up lol

I will have to go back to my own oven. Baking jars of weed and then sticking a straw in. Like a milkshake.
I'm determined to get fcuked up lol

Do you primarily vape your cannabis? I have been curious due to having some respiratory issues that make me have coughing fits. Is it smoother and less harsh, I would think so.

Ca++

Do you primarily vape your cannabis? I have been curious due to having some respiratory issues that make me have coughing fits. Is it smoother and less harsh, I would think so.
No, I have vaped very little compared to many here.
I'm usually one of the first coughing. My experience has found it's exposure time. The moisture level in my throat needs care. I'm better to take a small sip at a lot of smoke, than a long airy draw on something. I found the volcano wasn't good in this respect. As there is a lot of air in one of them bags. While I need to regularly close my throat to keep it moist.
I think the general advice is that it's smoother though. A bit like loading a pipe, but only letting the flame lick at it. That gets the good stuff steaming off, without actually having to incinerate the green. It seems fairly logical, that this technique tips the balance of whats inhaled. I never finish a pipe to the extend others do. The first bit is all the flavour. Then you get the lighter oils. Followed by the tars. At which point, a flame has ignited the pot. A vape can get them heavier components hot enough to leave, without starting a fire. The green comes out simply scorced. In the same shape in went in. Just very tanned.
The reasoning behind your cough makes a difference, but I like to think anyone would be better off without the combustion products. With just a few exceptions, such as the big bag of dry air from a volcano, that needs consuming. Not everyone likes the same vape.

On aside note, a friend bought one round like a chillum. Only it had a pen cap, with a bit of bi-metal from an old kettle. The type that clicks the switch off at temperature. This vape used a lighter, to heat the end, until it made the click. No power except the lighter. So was really quite small, and would last a while.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
On aside note, a friend bought one round like a chillum. Only it had a pen cap, with a bit of bi-metal from an old kettle. The type that clicks the switch off at temperature. This vape used a lighter, to heat the end, until it made the click. No power except the lighter. So was really quite small, and would last a while
Dynavap is the common brand of that kind of vape.

Ca++

That's a good point there @Douglas.Curtis
We don't actually need to smoke or vape, we could all buy instant cookie mix, and figure it out. Though I must say, it's not just the flavour and effect I like. I also like to see a nice bud. Break it up. Practice some sort of assembly, then feel consumption is a reward. Worse than most things I like doing though.. I like to smoke it.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
No, I have vaped very little compared to many here.
I'm usually one of the first coughing. My experience has found it's exposure time. The moisture level in my throat needs care. I'm better to take a small sip at a lot of smoke, than a long airy draw on something. I found the volcano wasn't good in this respect. As there is a lot of air in one of them bags. While I need to regularly close my throat to keep it moist.
I think the general advice is that it's smoother though. A bit like loading a pipe, but only letting the flame lick at it. That gets the good stuff steaming off, without actually having to incinerate the green. It seems fairly logical, that this technique tips the balance of whats inhaled. I never finish a pipe to the extend others do. The first bit is all the flavour. Then you get the lighter oils. Followed by the tars. At which point, a flame has ignited the pot. A vape can get them heavier components hot enough to leave, without starting a fire. The green comes out simply scorced. In the same shape in went in. Just very tanned.
The reasoning behind your cough makes a difference, but I like to think anyone would be better off without the combustion products. With just a few exceptions, such as the big bag of dry air from a volcano, that needs consuming. Not everyone likes the same vape.

On aside note, a friend bought one round like a chillum. Only it had a pen cap, with a bit of bi-metal from an old kettle. The type that clicks the switch off at temperature. This vape used a lighter, to heat the end, until it made the click. No power except the lighter. So was really quite small, and would last a while.
I have asthma. So smoking is rough on me. I cant always wait for an edible ti kick in. Someone suggested a dry herb vape. It does take out some of the stronger flavors, but no coughing and no sore throat either. I Use my strongest weed in there because after 3 or 4 hits you start to burn you fingers.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Ok, since it seems most of you missed the reference... (yes, I am autistic and often have difficulty wording things the way NT's need it.)

You can ferment and then eat your cannabis. It will be SIGNIFICANTLY more complex and potent than simply drying/curing and smoking it. PLUS, you have no need to use your lungs to use it at that point. ;)

You can find the information in the Malawi Cob Curing thread here on icmag.

You're welcome. ;)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I agree... Maltodextrin is No Bueno! Avoid for all blood types and I personally agree for my blood type.

However... if inflammation is your goal Maltodextrin is a PHENOMENAL product to chase it with. :D
Here's a good study on the subject.

Chrons anyone?
Altogether, these findings show that maltodextrin detrimentally impacts the intestinal environment by promoting depletion of the protective mucus layer and favoring the development of intestinal inflammation. Interestingly, another study recently showed that the artificial sweetener Splenda, which contains both sucralose and maltodextrin, impacts the intestinal microbiota in a manner that promotes Crohn’s-type disease in genetically susceptible hosts.5

I Care

Your issue with the volcano is that you require less volume and more concentration. I think the volcano with the bags is basically a fan powered oven and I agree that they are really not that desirable for the amount of money they are.

I personally had a Pax vaporizer many years ago, before it was stolen by my old roommate for their dumbass drugs. That thing was great, had three heat settings and I think it would provide the vape hit you’re looking for if they’re still available. The slower you hit it the denser the puff was and on high it was enough to choke you out if you took a big puff.

If you’re a pipe smoker like me, it’s hard to find a substitute, the Pax was pretty close. Another idea if you need small puffs and dense smoke is to get a water pipe of some kind. The suction of some of these new water pipes with the shower-head/honeycomb percolators are great at having a cool moist and dense fog without choking you out.

Another idea, maybe you can like plumb your volcano to go through something like percolated water pipe to get some moisture in the air for your requirements…