What's new

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

pico

Veteran
I didn't. I want to but I don't own one and don't have a good reason to buy one. My next test when I get around to it will be with the cooltube.

G

pico said:
I didn't. I want to but I don't own one and don't have a good reason to buy one. My next test when I get around to it will be with the cooltube.

Good deal Pico. I'm thinking about buying some, so this will help me with my choice. Thinking about running all my tubes 220 or 240. Which every it is we have here. Been eyeing those tubes for some time now. Good luck and let me know when you get around to them
Later,
BG

_Dude

Don't bother with the parabolics, they're shit. I have a book with a diagram of a light test of several types, and parabolics by far had the least even coverage, with a big ol hot spot in the middle. I'm going by memory for the specifics, but I do remember for sure that they were shit.

Sounds like the cool tubes are only good for vertical setups, or growers who don't much care about coverage.

Great thread Pico. It's kinda sad that someone like you has to do out of his own pocket what the blockheads at places like High Times should be doing but aren't.

V

vaprpig

Hey Pico, How about a Gavita bulb?

I am thinking of using 48" Cool Tubes, for the laminar air flow, with 600 Gavitas in each end.

Thanks for your efforts and dollars in all of this, great info.

G

_Dude said:
Sounds like the cool tubes are only good for vertical setups, or growers who don't much care about coverage.

or those who combat heat with them :bashhead:

Great thread for sure.Hey Bro, you do the parabolic yet?And how did the difuser workout for you,i was thinking of picking one up awhile back but wasnt sure of the benifits besides what the maker claims.Once again,great job.Peace and stay safe,PVP :wave:

texasluv

It looks like pico is getting swamped with requests for light tests. I have a light meter myself and I was planning on testing out my lighting on my new 3 x 6 table. I should be doing the test this weekend so I will have some data to post on monday.

I use sun system super sun 2 reflectors which have already been tested (and they dominate :headbange ). I was going to model my test to be the same as pico's so I will post my findings once I have them in a couple days. Tests will be performed with a Sun Systems Dual 600W ballast and Solarmax 600W HPS bulbs. Both the ballast and the bulbs are only 7 months old.

I have two types of super sun 2 reflectors to test; old style and new style. The old style reflectors used dimpled reflective aluminum only directly above bulb, the sides were lined with flat aluminum. The new style reflectors use the dimpled reflective aluminum throughout the entire unit. Both units look identical except for the aluminum material on the inside.

pico

Veteran
texasluv- nice man, look forward to seeing your test results. There is only one super sun 2 model unless I am mistaken. The other model you are talking about is the original super sun. Both of which I have tested on here. The super sun 1 is not aircooled. You won't be able to compare your numbers to my numbers, but you can test the super sun 2 and then test something else and compare your results. You can't use my numbers because there would be too many different variables. Different space, different ballast, different bulb....different test procedures possibly, different light meter... but if you tested the super sun 2 and then did the same test with a cooltube then we would know if the cooltube was better or worse than the super sun 2 and could have a good idea of where the cooltube would rank in my own testing. Don't forget to let your bulbs start up for 30-60 minutes before testing. Good luck man.

To everyone else that has been interested in new tests. Sorry for slacking. I have a million and one things going on right now. I will try to get back to this sometime next year.

I never tested the hot spot diffuser, but I have it installed in a coolsunXL with 1000w light. The light with the hot spot diffuser has a more even canopy than the other lights without the diffuser.

masterlow37

Veteran
AC Reflectors

AC Reflectors

pico said:
To everyone else that has been interested in new tests. Sorry for slacking. I have a million and one things going on right now. I will try to get back to this sometime next year.

I never tested the hot spot diffuser, but I have it installed in a coolsunXL with 1000w light. The light with the hot spot diffuser has a more even canopy than the other lights without the diffuser.

:wave: Thats Cool pico, maybe we'll get to see that new Radiant 8" hinged lens reflector tested next year...

Peace :yeahthats

texasluv

pico said:
texasluv- There is only one super sun 2 model unless I am mistaken. The other model you are talking about is the original super sun.

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive. There is only one Super Sun II model. I have 3 Super Sun II hoods to test, 2 of which I bought the day the local store got them in stock. I guess shortly after releasing the initial Super Sun II model, Sunlight Supply changed the reflective material. The current Super Sun II model has all dimpled aluminum in the reflector, where my old Super Sun II units have a combo of flat and dimpled aluminum. Both reflectors are EXACTLY the same design, down to the shape of the aluminum. The only difference is the dimpled/non-dimpled aluminum. My guess is that Sunlight Supply realized that if their customer is going to pay $200 for a reflector it better come with the best reflective material available. I wish I could return the two old ones I have for a new one, I know for a fact that dimpled aluminum reflects light better than flat aluminum. I'm guessing my tests will prove this to be true.

G

gdawg

hey pico thanx for all the information provided here. priceless bro! were you ever able to test the silverstars? i love em and got to get a couple more to replace some crappy hoods in my lineup. anyways if you still haven't been able to test one in the next 3 weeks hit me up and i will shoot one to ya, only on loan though, i gotta shutdown for a month and i would need it back for the new place. i'm thinkin you will like it, i'm curious about the light distro though. peace and thanx again for all the info.

MPL

Yeah I may be getting a SilverStar today. :) No glass on it, but I can go buy a pane of Starphire glass to go into it for not too much I imagine.

G

Hey bro, sorry to be a pain in the ass.. but did ya ever get around to testing that diffuser thing?

and by a quick glance, what do you think about this reflector as opposed to the supersun 2?sun systems yield master 6"

Last edited:

pico

Veteran
It will happen sometime. Been in the process of a major move the last month and still am setting up shop again. Not much time for IC right now but I should have some fun stuff when I return.

I don't think that hood will test near the super sun2. There is no spectral aluminum on the ends like the ss2 has.

I did hear that the new Super Sun design has a gasket to seal the glass. Anyone seen these around yet?

Latest posts

Latest posts