What's new

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First, I’d like to say thanks to Pico and all of the other contributors. I’ve enjoyed going through this thread many times, and find new information each pass through.

I am about to jump into remodeling a spare closet to take the place of my DR120. The closet is roughly 30” x 60” with a 9’+ ceiling, so my plan is to treat it as (2) 30” x 30” areas with a lamp over each. This will allow me to put a couple of my 400w ballasts back to work and try out some CMH lamps, which I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I’ve been trying to figure out the best reflectors for this application – it looks like the SS2 is too wide to fit in this area because of the air connections coming straight out of the ends. This has led me to the PL Deep in the air-cooled shroud, and the Bell Lighting LR 400 MV.

The PL has a great reputation and seems like it would be perfect for this application – they could be tucked up higher than reflectors would normally be used, and be well out of the way. The air shroud would work particularly well because the vents are installed across the short axis. Unfortunately, the only testing I can find in here on the PL was done on a different model and apparently with a lamp that it wasn’t designed for. The Bell Lighting site has a link (see below) to a test done by the University of British Columbia comparing the Bell and the PL, and the Bell kicks it’s ass pretty brutally even at a 7’+ height above the tables. Again, the only test that I could find here on the Bell was a different lamp & reflector, and the results weren’t all that wonderful.

If anyone has some input on either of these two reflectors (or a viable alternative), I would certainly like to hear it. Thanks.

http://www.belllighting.com/ubc-report/ubc-rpt.pdf

onegreenday

Veteran
the Bell Lighting test does not look that accurate and no mention of
a specific PL reflector it just says 400. Test done in 2000.

I've got the PL Delta and it controls the light real well and very compact (no shroud)
it throws a good amount of side-light for blending with a reflector

next to it; so it could work well in that space ( I assume you'll blend the 2 lights)

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for getting back to me, OGD. That test looked odd to me - it seems like the Bell would be at a tremendous disadvantage at that height. I've emailed PL to get their recommendation, and asked them for their impression of that test - should be interesting!

I haven't been able to find much information on the Delta - it looks like it is for a more rectangular pattern and is made of Miro rather than the standard aluminum, is that correct?

onegreenday

Veteran
yup the PL Delta is Miro and the others their regular
aluminum (which I like just as much)

EDIT: The Miro is more shiny & hammered but I had the Medium
before and their aluminum is very reflective with microscopic facets
for breaking up the light beam and I got good results from the Medium reflector.

I had the Deep also which is more square pattern & deep penetration
they have graphs for all their reflector showing the light throw.
They are excellent reflectors.

Their philosophy for reflectors is different than the BIG American
reflectors & that is a very compact reflector that's close to the bulb for
light control & less distance for the beam to travel before it is reflected.

here's a link to their USA distributor & reflectors.

http://www.tradewindsgarden.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=46

I use the Delta in a 24 x 34" closet and it's
2800 foot candles at about 18" from the bulb.

a 30" deep space should work fine but he midi reflector is more square pattern.

Thanks for getting back to me, OGD. That test looked odd to me - it seems like the Bell would be at a tremendous disadvantage at that height. I've emailed PL to get their recommendation, and asked them for their impression of that test - should be interesting!

I haven't been able to find much information on the Delta - it looks like it is for a more rectangular pattern and is made of Miro rather than the standard aluminum, is that correct?

whazzup

Veteran
anodized aluminum has a reflective value of about 87% max, Miro goes to 95%. Anodized pressed reflectors have minute cracks in the surface which lead to faster deterioration of the reflective material by dirt and oxidation, we used to re-anodize reflectors for horticultural companies every few years. In horticulture Miro is the standard now. 400W lamps are no longer used in Horticulture, majority is now 1000W. So the test does not show any significant data, it is too old.

ExoSteve

Great test greeners! BUT!

I already have the 6" cooltube /w reflector. Low value.

According to their test...the best choice would be the xtrasun reflector. But the effiency is little over my cooltube.

If you have NO reflector the value section is good for you. If you already have a reflector and want an upgrade...look the effiency over the value.

Anybody know where to find the blockbuster in canada?

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
well i guess there is alot more factors involved in achieving a 30% increase over your current set up. I currently run 2 600s in blockbusters inna 8x4 tent sometimes only occupying 6x4 of the space and avg around .75-1g per watt using coco. Yield varies according to strains im running or if its cuts or seed run. Overall im pleased at the spread they give and would recommend them if u looking to get a new reflector. I bought them after reading another members journal on ic who got great results using them as well. Good vibez

Irie,

do you find the Blockbustes have a big hot spot? I'm looking at that or the 6" xxxl for either 2 1000's or 3 600's over a 4x8 table. how far you keeping your 600's away from the plants?

thank you :)

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
No I wouldn't say they have a big hot spot....then again I don't keep them right on top of the plants so maybe that helps too? The reflectors are about 8-12" above tallest plants...just enuff to give me an even spread over the outter rows of plants. Good vibez

anodized aluminum has a reflective value of about 87% max, Miro goes to 95%. Anodized pressed reflectors have minute cracks in the surface which lead to faster deterioration of the reflective material by dirt and oxidation, we used to re-anodize reflectors for horticultural companies every few years. In horticulture Miro is the standard now. 400W lamps are no longer used in Horticulture, majority is now 1000W. So the test does not show any significant data, it is too old.

really..odd because my NIST light meter shows just the exact opposite of what you stated...hmmm