What's new

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

MPL

Hmm I dunno why I thought that. lol

I might have to check out the SS2 then. Thanks for your work!

spurr

Veteran
Just a heads up:

I have a few different reflectors (SS#2 6", BlockBuster 8", SS#1 4", etc.) and a Li-cor LI-190-SA quantum sensor and LI-1000 datalogger, as well as Equalizer hot-spot diffuser. I plan to test (in the coming week/s) said reflectors and hot-spot diffuser over an area of a meter^2 at a distance from lamp (at center-point below center of lamp) that has irradiance above 800 umol/~inch^2/second.

If anyone wishes me to test other reflectors please ask and I will try to borrow those reflectors from the local hydro store. Or I could give my safe address out and have interested parties send me the reflector to test, and I will then send it back to said parties safe address (there are no worries on my end, I used a fake drivers license for my safe address :) )

I will make very pretty and useful data set graphs for irradiance over a meter^2 (horizontal; à la "pineappaloupe" style chart; link):

picture.php

... As well as a 'light-spread chart' showing irradiance at various distances and dimensions, à la UVBGuide light spread charts: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/makingspreadcharts.htm

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

onegreenday

Veteran
thanks spurr.

If u can find a PL Maxima or a vertical parabolic,
the readings may surprise people.

Edit: If you do 400 watt you'd want the PL Midi or Medium..

spurr

Veteran
i would also like to see results over a 4'x4' area

Sure, that is what I meant to write, instead of 3'x3'. I was thinking about testing 5'x5', but that would mean quite a bit more measurements per reflector and I'm kinda lazy.

spurr

Veteran
thanks spurr.

If u can find a PL Maxima or a vertical parabolic,
the readings may surprise people.

Edit: If you do 400 watt you'd want the PL Midi or Medium..

I do have access to a PL Maxima, a buddy has one (I used to have one). I'm pretty sure I can either have him send it to me, or I can send my quantum sensor to him and ask him test it for us.

I used to use a PL Medium, but I don't have it any longer, I think though, I know someone who does and will let me borrow it.

:tiphat:

Solidopc

Spurr mate, could you possibly test out the air-cooled diamond reflector? Has anyone here used one of these?

They are apprently pretty good the diamond hoods, and the aircooled version looks good. I'm pretty much stuck between the SS2, blockbuster and one of them.

Shafto

Great thread, just went through the whole thing. Thanks to all the contributors.

I was surprised to see no mention of the raptor hood:

http://www.hydroponicsxl.com/grow-lights/grow-light-reflectors/8in-raptor-reflector.html

I wonder how it would fair.

Was there any actual tests by a member here on the blockbuster I might have somehow missed? Seems like the way to go for a 4x4 but I'd love to see some figures. The purple chart suggests it's much better than the SS2. I do like the price of the SS2 though.

I currently have a silverstar and the hotspot is evident., though overall output is very generous. I get burn in the middle, My scrog is lower in the centre and is shaped like a bowl a bit higher on the sides to compensate. Getting another light now and I think I'll replace the silverstar eventually too with either a blockbuster or an SS2.

Thanks again for all the info, I was hoping to find a thread like this to help me make my hood decision.

onegreenday

Veteran
Check out PL Light Systems with air-cooled shroud
to compare:

http://www.greenacreshydro.enstore.com/browse/refl/1?menu=lighting

Great thread, just went through the whole thing. Thanks to all the contributors.

I was surprised to see no mention of the raptor hood:

http://www.hydroponicsxl.com/grow-lights/grow-light-reflectors/8in-raptor-reflector.html

I wonder how it would fair.

Was there any actual tests by a member here on the blockbuster I might have somehow missed? Seems like the way to go for a 4x4 but I'd love to see some figures. The purple chart suggests it's much better than the SS2. I do like the price of the SS2 though.

I currently have a silverstar and the hotspot is evident., though overall output is very generous. I get burn in the middle, My scrog is lower in the centre and is shaped like a bowl a bit higher on the sides to compensate. Getting another light now and I think I'll replace the silverstar eventually too with either a blockbuster or an SS2.

Thanks again for all the info, I was hoping to find a thread like this to help me make my hood decision.

41hope

Cool Tubes

Cool Tubes

Have a vertical grow and looking to add a cool tube but have no experience with them? Is there a difference between dif cool tubes?
Which is best for 600w and 1000w? Also if I string 2 tubes together what size fan should I use? What size fan for single cool tube?

pico

Veteran
not really the focus of this thread so you probably won't get much help. Try looking for a related thread.

-pico

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I saw these at the Kush Expo on Saturday.....Air Cooled Vertical lights ...these things looked liked they shitted hard on my Magnum XXl Ocho's ....I've never seen a hood look so bright ...i was placing my hand on the glass with a 1000 watt burning and my hand wasnt even warm....Im about to order like 10 of these and see what these babies are all about....

Anyone else seen these b4?

http://www.growlite.com/inc/sdetail/183/283

41hope

uh how does it shine light 360 degrees? Isn't that the purpose of vertical? Using 100% of light verse horizontal reflected light?

spurr

Veteran
I saw these at the Kush Expo on Saturday.....Air Cooled Vertical lights ...these things looked liked they shitted hard on my Magnum XXl Ocho's ....I've never seen a hood look so bright ...i was placing my hand on the glass with a 1000 watt burning and my hand wasnt even warm....Im about to order like 10 of these and see what these babies are all about....

Hey SS,

Hm, I'm not sure that's a good idea on part of the maker. The end of the bulb has considerably less irradiance than the sides of the bulb. To me, that seems like the opposite of the problem when using horizontal lamp in reflector where the hot spot is a problem; i.e., with that reflector it seems a 'cold' spot (less irradiance than the surrounding area) would be a problem. But testing with a quantum sensor or spectroradiometer is needed to know for sure ...

I think it's a gimmick, made to sell reflectors because they are different. I would need to see data (ex. spread chart) of the irradiance before I would buy one of those setups.

My 2 cents.

nomaad

Veteran

bad design. pretty much eliminates any advantages of vertical lighting. i hope the manufacturer wasn't banking much on this concept...

I was offered more money than I paid for my two year old SuperSun2 and was on the market for a replacement
the Magnum XXXL would require a bigger space than my aloted 2x4x8 space so the 6" SS2 replaced the old 6" SS2
for a bigger space those Magnum XXXL units sure look nice though

Quitters

Pico, any updates

Pico, any updates

I've grown with 3 600s over a 4x8 table with super sun 2s and always just got around a 1/2 lb more than with 2 on a mover but am giving the XXXL8s a shot with 2 1000s on a table I'll let ya all know where it ends up at same strain same nutes just different lights

luv to know what the 2k with XXXL's gave you on the 4x8 table

Latest posts

Latest posts