What's new

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

gus738

pico i truely respect your comment but i was told theirs really never too much lighting provided that all other areas are taken care of as well such as dedicated ac dehumidifier , exhaust for air cooled lights and another exhaust for room. so with that in mind is it still alot of light and why?

however i also am doing aeroponics aerojet 4 tray (12-16) plants and for this reason of accelerated growth i thought they would be thurstiy for lighting...

yeah i saw that ss2 , blockbuster and the magnum 6" are top choices, i am concern about the magnum being in the way as you said so how much feet does it become an issue? my total height is 8ft or a few inches close to 8ft so im not worried how tall the plants will be

will you get around those test for the blockbuster? this can impact weather i buy the mags 6 or the blockbusters.

also check out my thread or if you want to post there that be awesome.
Way too much light. I would do two 1ks in flower and maximum one 1k in veg. Don't really need that much veg for only 2k in flower.

I would go with the SS2, but that is because I have not tested the blockbuster, and the XXXL is just so huge it is hard to deal with. Also, after using the XXXL for a while, I don't think it works as well for larger plants like I am currently running. I am going to use it over a table full of smaller plants and see if that is any good.

M

mrred

Is there any AC reflector other than ArcticSun or Daystar which would fit into 60 x 60cm secret jardin DR60 growbox?

super sun, super sun2, any yeildd master,

most other reflectors are under 23.5 inch 60cm = 23.6 so yea

T

Teeg420

ive spoken with sunlight supply techs several times about the SS2, XXXL's & the newest Blockbusters...

the XXXL's light isn't as focused & concentrated like the SS2's and Blockbusters, the XXXL's are for a bigger footprint,, for instance the 8" XXXL's have a footprint for up to 5' x 6'6" and are optimally meant for shorter canopies..

SS2's and Blockbuster light is more concetrated and are better for taller canopies, meaning if your plants are 3' tall, the lower branches will recieve stronger light from the SS2 and BB's.. the 6" & 8" Blockbusters were developed optimally for a 4' x 4' area where as the SS2 works best with areas aproximately 3' x 3' or even smaller tho many many of us have sworn for years by SS2's abilities to cover a 4 x 4 with great success..

i predict that in due time peeps will be ravin about their Blockbusters !!!

:)

Good to know, makes sense that the xxxl doesn't have the penetrating power the super sun 2 does, works for my grow situation where I do bigger plants.

Tompo

I'm aware this is offtopic very much, but I guess could be very helpful for us european growers seeking sunlight supplys reflectors!

I found one shop selling all of those and shipping internationally too: http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_5045.html

I ordered SuperSun 2 last monday, total to Finland was 220e. Quite pricey, but well worth it if it is just as good as advertised here :jump:

ITryToGrow

I'm aware this is offtopic very much, but I guess could be very helpful for us european growers seeking sunlight supplys reflectors!

I found one shop selling all of those and shipping internationally too: http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_5045.html

I ordered SuperSun 2 last monday, total to Finland was 220e. Quite pricey, but well worth it if it is just as good as advertised here :jump:

+1 :yes:

Great company! I buy almost exclusively from them.

mars_to_uranus

Best thread i've ever read! Very addictive, once i started i couldn't stop until all 740 posts were digested. Thanks to all involved. Still waiting on the light diffuser results, i think they could be very interesting.

Absolut

So I can't decide which hoods to get.

SS2 or the XXXL 8"

Flowering room is going to be about 12x12. I was leaning towards the SS2's b/c of light penetration but also like the XXXL's b/c of the footprint.

Planning on 6-8000 watts depending on the hood. What do you guys think?

B

Bud Bug

ike you said but a standard 1000W bulb is about 145,000 Lumens. Although like you said, Lumens don't matter.

The regular HPS from Philips/GE/Sylvania are only about 120K Lumens the "Super HPS" bulbs like Hortilux/Plantstar/SolarMax are suppose to be 145K Lumens but they also create more heat.

Quitters

So I can't decide which hoods to get.

SS2 or the XXXL 8"

Flowering room is going to be about 12x12. I was leaning towards the SS2's b/c of light penetration but also like the XXXL's b/c of the footprint.

Planning on 6-8000 watts depending on the hood. What do you guys think?

:wave: withoutquestion go with the 6" or 8" Blockbuster,, this way your getting a 4 x 4 footprint of condensed light similar to how you would from the SS2, yet the SS2 optimal footprint is more on the lines of a sqare meter aka 3'3" :)

Absolut

:wave: withoutquestion go with the 6" or 8" Blockbuster,, this way your getting a 4 x 4 footprint of condensed light similar to how you would from the SS2, yet the SS2 optimal footprint is more on the lines of a sqare meter aka 3'3" :)

Are these Blockbusters better than Super Suns in terms of build quality? I'm willing to sacrifice lumen footprint for better quality.

I am in no way disagreeing with your answer. Just want the best for my girls.

Tompo

Are these Blockbusters better than Super Suns in terms of build quality? I'm willing to sacrifice lumen footprint for better quality.

I am in no way disagreeing with your answer. Just want the best for my girls.
This is just my opinion based on nothing but assumptions. I guess all of those reflectors are built with the exact same methods..

I'm a bit suspicious about the blockbuster being any better than SS2, because as bulbs arent square but long and thin, why should the reflector be square? SS2 is very uniform in that way, the distance from the center of the bulb across its length to the reflective material is equal in all places. I might be very wrong though.

I have an 3.5 x 3.5 table that the SS2 covers very nicely, I couldn't see how it could be any better! (Edit: now that I wrote this and thought of it, of course with a wider reflector you could in theory place the hood a little closer to the plants and still get the same coverage..)

B

Bud Bug

C

cheesey

im useing a ss2 in a 1m sq budbox and its great (400w)
also im useing a xxxl in a 4ft 2" room with 600w upgrading too 1000w soon .

both great hoods as well with the blockbuster .

ddd

After reading this thread, most would come to the conclusion that the SS2 and the XXXLs are the best reflectors.

I think there could be one that's better BUT it hasn't been tested yet. It's the P.L. Deep for the 250-600w range and the P.L. 1000 watter.

This thread is incomplete without the results from the P.L. reflectors.

Quitters

This thread is incomplete without the results from the P.L. reflectors.

:wave: Why is that ^ the thread title is: Air cooled reflector testing with digital footcandle meter so the P.L.'s dont even qualify for this thread.. The PL's were probably the best option at one time for dutch growers as they couldn't get ahold of the better reflectors from the USA in the past, but i hear they can order em nowdays..

ddd

P.L.s ARE air cooled with the shroud.
They stay cool too because air is circulation around the bulb and reflector.