What's new

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

onegreenday

Veteran
where does one find the insulated ducting at? and do you have any condensation issues with the ducting,im pulling air from a cool spot and once it hits the warm air in the grow room the ducting is condensating for the first 5-6 feet in the room and its getting messy,any ideas,thanxs and great thread!!

check online or granger.

amargas

Pico, it would be really great if you could put all your results (and DarthVador's and Yamaha1Fan's) in a spreadsheet listed in your first post. That way, people do not have to search through 45 pages of thread trying to find the data. It would be really helpful.

Great work.

2nd that!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I went air-cooled a few years back and love it......I have 4 total hoods so it helps to keep all the hot stale air out of the grow......Air-cooling your hoods is very smart.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
What we have here folks, is a Compulsive Liar!!

What we have here folks, is a Compulsive Liar!!

first he comes in here asking for shit like this
PICO!!!!

I need 20 1000 Watt ballasts!
240 volt
Swithable if possible but HPS only well do.
A couple pages back you said you would practically give them away!!

but the man already has ballasts doesn't he? and how!

I have 16 unopened 1000 watt ballast set for 240. I have 4 of the 1500 watt ballasts and 5 hps bulbs to go with them

I have 10 Master Blaster 1500 Watt Ballasts. (Dont ask how ill have to lie)

I have 4 1500 Watt HPS ballasts as well as 10 1000 watt ballasts

He is also well stocked with reflectors :whistling:

I also
have 10 4ft parabolic hoods

. I have 4 - 7 foot parabolics as well

This will be my fifth crop. I have been using 6 parabolic hoods

And... strange, he seems to be running 5 or 6 different rooms simultaneously -

I have a 13x13 room with 10 foot ceiling

My room is 12.5 x 11

And in my 8 X 11 room i will have four more

Im thinking 4 in a 12x13

and 4 ligts in my 10x10 room for a total of 10.

Finally, the expert discusses his well-refined technique:
I have 3 13 foot beds that are two feet deep. I also have one 10 foot bed thats 2 feet as well. I have plants that veg for two months in another location. So i can harvest every 2 months.

then..
I am curious what people have to think about Soil Beds indoors and the best way to go about building them
then..
The more people write though, i think it would be a pain in the ass to have beds.

so.... what the fuck?? why even bother opening an account? just to make yourself feel better by making fake threads?

here's my favorite one:

cool, cool not your first rodeo....

What country you live in? If you don't mind me asking.

I Live in Humboldt. I spent 2 grand on four 1500 watt ballasts.

-thanks for the laughs.
edit: reply#666.... nice... this thread needs a... sticky

G

Pico............Mad Props man! I still love it when I see this thread pop up. I bought my SS2 before I found this thread, but felt a whole lot better after based on the research you did. :respect:

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
BEST REFLECTOR: HYDROFARM RADIANT (most reflected light)
RUNNER UP: SUN SYSTEMS SUPERSUN 2 (best spread)
question is, are the radiant reflectors worth the extra $ over the SS2's?

Marylandhydroponics has the 6" Radiant hoods for $111.08. Thats cheaper than some places sell the SS2 for.

I love the cooling and foot print of the Radiant and the quality of the SS2 .

The hinges on the Radiant are cheap and I dont see them lasting for the long haul, but it was easier to make air tight than the SS2.

Now if we could get that in one package.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Sorry gents, I don't conduct any business online or with randoms of any sort.

LISTEN TO THE MAN!

We like to think of ourselves as family but, the truth is we're strangers. Someone asks for personal info, JUST SAY NO! Depending on how creepy the request was, consider reporting it to admin.

We could be talking about 20 years of prison time. Don't ask, don't tell.

Please Make This Thread a Sticky

Please Make This Thread a Sticky

I have been wondering same thing for a while now, how this thread aint a Sticky yet? :dunno:

I am getting ready to buy hoods, have been going to this thread constantly last couple weeks. Only thread I go to more is the CMH thread............

:prettyplease:

G

Guywithoutajeep

Marylandhydroponics has the 6" Radiant hoods for $111.08. Thats cheaper than some places sell the SS2 for.

I love the cooling and foot print of the Radiant and the quality of the SS2 .

The hinges on the Radiant are cheap and I dont see them lasting for the long haul, but it was easier to make air tight than the SS2.

Now if we could get that in one package.

Yeah I almost bought one from that site except the shipping prices are insane. Any other sites to find a cheap one?

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
plantlightinghydroponics.com has the cheapest online prices for pretty much every piece of equipment out there. Check with them.

BLOCKER!

SuperSun2 UK supplier:

SuperSun2 UK supplier:

Anyone know any UK retailers selling the SuperSun2'z ?

Boy our reflectors suck!!!!

I notice the tests were done using a square area but most the reflectors are rectangle although the tests are fair surely we wouldnt be seeing the best footprint for each light.

I know the tests haven't been done but assuming the SS2 is rectangle would I be getting better coverage from reflector lighting say 5' 3' area with 1000w bulb or 4' 2' with a 600w bulb.

Basically just trying to suck every lumen out the buggers, Im after the perfect coverage for the light lol, So then I can design my aeroponic units to match the best footprint for the light.

thankyou.

sumncleaver

1.Have any of the reflectors been used with the diffuser? I'm using radiant 8's and have had hot spots.
2. Have you seen more than one make of diffuser?
3.Know of anyone trying to make the flimsiest thing you ever seen?
I find on long runs of ducting the 8's on the end help move the air. Or prehaps I should say that when running longer duct it helps to reduce duct size as you move away from the fan source. And as I was running six inch on the far end of the run, 8's made sense.(creating a venturi).
I have run the Lightubes 6" (Copy of the cool tube about fifty bucks cheaper)and I find that they don't put as much light where I want it as the radiant 8. I say this because I had to move the Lightubes closer to get the same results.
By the way the lightube does not come with a cord set or anywhere to mount the connections. Ended up putting the connections in a receptacle box. There's your fifty bucks in parts and labor.

Weed Nazi

That was one seriously informative thread.

That was one seriously informative thread.

Pico, great work, and to the guys graphing too! Thats was incredible. 2 8" xxxl s for me! You hear about the adjust a wing all the time, as it was in jorges bible, and since has reached cult status it seems. I feel ol jorge prolly likes and works with whoever makes these overpriced (at least in the USA) reflectors. I dunno how good they work, jorge loves em. Now Im not against jorge or adj a wings, but that test in his bible is the only evidence I have ever seen of their performance, and after inspecting one, I am not overly thrilled with them, and chose not to be the guinea pig. They may just kick ass all over the sun 2 or magnums, but I am inclined to doubt it. Sooo does anyone here have any links or info on adj a wing relector tests? Id like to know how well reality and their reputation match. thanks again, havent put them 8"ers to use yet, but couldnt help test firing them for awhile...whoooaa, they leave a nice big evenly lit area beneath them for sure. Kinda wish Id of went with the sun 2s, cause "kinda a pain in the ass" was a nice way to put it. these mamas are over 40 pounds, awkward to lift, and have a huge sheet of glass in them. yo-yos and light duty lightmovers are almost totally out of the question. They perform like crazy, but can create some logistical headaches for sure. Work them out, and its nothing but a big ray of sunshine..not to mention the gasps from anyone lucky enough to see a couple of these bad mamas in action. Thanks, and again awesome thread.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Sooo does anyone here have any links or info on adj a wing relector tests? Id like to know how well reality and their reputation match. thanks again, havent put them 8"ers to use yet, but couldnt help test firing them for awhile...whoooaa

I have most of the hoods tested in this thread, and IMO the large adjustawing with a 1000W bulb smokes all of them....

i've never done tests with a photometer, but it is visibly better at spreading light over a large area

D

dongle69

I have most of the hoods tested in this thread, and IMO the large adjustawing with a 1000W bulb smokes all of them....
i've never done tests with a photometer, but it is visibly better at spreading light over a large area
The point of most of the hoods in this thread is to spread brighter light over a limited area as opposed to more diffused light over a larger area.
Not really comparable on those terms.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
If you had a growspace that was 32" wide x 26" across, would you:

A) Get the reflector closest to those dimensions, so that it's footprint matched the size of your growspace

B) Or get a smaller reflector regardless of footprint

Just interested in hearing the opinions of others

UnKlE_SaM

This one right?

289_large.jpg

It would be interesting to see if it does score better, as the design is very different from the air cooled reflectors that had the highest scores here.

Are they designed for specific applications? Wondering what to attribute the shape too . . . .

where can i find this reflector or what is its name?

basically i have two magnum xxxls w/ 400w CMH and i want to put a 250 HPS in between them so i want a reflector that spills light out the sides so i can get a lot of coverage with a small reflector. nothing more than 16 inches wide...

Latest posts

Latest posts