What's new

Air cooled lights: the right way

See thats what i'm getting to. I will not be using co2 and my room will not be sealed. Thats why i was wondering if it would still be worth my time and money to use air cooled hoods.
If i were to go that route i would hook the carbon scrubber to one end of the string of lights, inside of the grow tent, and the fan at the adjacent side pulling air out of the grow.
I know if i do this my glass will get dirty fast from the soil and carbon particles. But would it still cool my space better than just running my lights in regular hoods?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Yes.

I have 1kw lights that are aircooled, drawing air from the room and pushing it through a carbon scrubber. Plants have repeatedly grown into the cool tubes with no problems what so ever.

I'm a big fan of Air cooled lights.

NiteTiger

Veteran
I'm using an 8 inch Vortex, but I've got it speed controlled all the way down, so yes, I think a 6 inch would be able to do it.

what are the dimensions of that tent?
You run 2 1000s with the 8?
I just purchased the hydrohut deluxe.
I bought so many packs recently and i'm too impatient to wait for one pack to finish before started another.

NiteTiger

Veteran
It's not a tent, it's the old room. You can check my sig for the newest one

fromOtodaG

Should 350mł/h Inline fan be enough for cooling down 2 x 600w cool tubed bulbs?
Sorry for asking twice in two threads..... Should i buy more ml/h or 350 ml/h is enough...
I am looking to buy this one click link :
http://www.head-nature.com/03886-350?id=TJptvD6C&mv_pc=666

I will use this cool tubes :
http://www.head-nature.com/04113?id=TJptvD6C&mv_pc=979

And 1 more question, i will use 1 inline fan to cool down tubes, and another for sucking air out of room.Now is it logical to use fan to suck out build up air or not since i will use cool tubes....But i suppose air needs to circulate so its all good to use 1 fan to suck build up air out of room...
Now i think 1 small ventilator to blow air into room shud be enough?

Regards... Nice thread :)

badmf

Howdy "Wick650" I'd opt for the 8" as more air is moved, thus a cooler operation.
from OtodaG, One thing to note if you use a fan to vent the room and cool your lites. It will have more resistance and use the scrubber all the time the lites on instead of only when its too hot/humid. The life time of your filter will be greatly extended if you only use it then. But if you are not able to add a separate fan certainly get the largest inline fan you can afford.
overgrow00, I'd stick with the larger fan as the price is not much difference once you factor in longer bulb life.
Remember the closer you can get your lite to your plants the more lumens! This isn't as relevate with one lite as you may wish to add a few more plants, but a mover would work well here. If you go waaaaay back you'll see mentioned the relationship in lumens to distance. At one foot or more the drop off gets very significant. I can run very close even w/o movers as I blow oscillating fans between the plant tops and the lites.
Scissors, I agree with having UV lite but in a side by side comparision a lite much further away negates the amount of UV, I have added UV lites but didn't notice enough difference to rec. them. I would say that once buds are firmly established (4-5th week or so) you may raise the lites and remove the glass thus you'll get the best of both worlds!!

Last edited:

jojajico

Veteran
badmf said:
Howdy "Wick650" I'd opt for the 8" as more air is moved, thus a cooler operation.
from OtodaG, One thing to note if you use a fan to vent the room and cool your lites. It will have more resistance and use the scrubber all the time the lites on instead of only when its too hot/humid. The life time of your filter will be greatly extended if you only use it then. But if you are not able to add a separate fan certainly get the largest inline fan you can afford.
overgrow00, I'd stick with the larger fan as the price is not much difference once you factor in longer bulb life.
Remember the closer you can get your lite to your plants the more lumens! This isn't as relevate with one lite as you may wish to add a few more plants, but a mover would work well here. If you go waaaaay back you'll see mentioned the relationship in lumens to distance. At one foot or more the drop off gets very significant. I can run very close even w/o movers as I blow oscillating fans between the plant tops and the lites.
Scissors, I agree with having UV lite but in a side by side comparision a lite much further away negates the amount of UV, I have added UV lites but didn't notice enough difference to rec. them. I would say that once buds are firmly established (4-5th week or so) you may raise the lites and remove the glass thus you'll get the best of both worlds!!
not true the a greater volume is moved through at one time but potentially at a slower velocity. it really depends on your fan pure and simple.

tuttlebudd

On my cool sun 1000w I'm absolutely AMAZED at how cool the room stays...fans in "snail" mode and the light is cool enough you can put you hand on top EASILY...room sits in the low 70's... Had two 400's that keep the room FRYING unless the fan was cranked...FANTASTIC is the only word I can describe...this is drawing air FROM the room thru the light.
tutt

2buds

greeny said:
Damn greeny, you be smokin alot man. :yoinks:
Messin, like the looks of the tubes all lined up, no resistance with turns. Drip loops on your light cords. :yes:
Go greeny go.:sasmokin: Nice

:2cents:Your lights will never be cooler than your intake air.:chin:
In the summer with those 85 degree nights, 100 degree days I found myself wrapping some r13 wall fiberglass around the outside of my duct work (intake/exhaust) and on top of the hood to keep them from radiating heat into grow.
Peace

badmf

jojajico, of course it depends on the fan, but all things being equal; a 8" opening will cool much more efficiently than a 6",which was my thought. When considering fans as mentioned remember drag pressure as some fans, squirrel cage for example, may have a great cfm number but can't overcome simple resistance. So a lesser cfm rated inline would be more effective. If your lite can be closer, you are "getting" the watts you are paying for, and extending bulb life to boot. So be cool, :smoweed:

K

karl420

soo is 2 x 178cfm canfan would cool a little a 1000 watter? or i must get 1x 6" 449cfm plus my 178cfm for the cab?

badmf

Karl420, Sorry for the delay but; it's better by far to have a fan larger than needed and adjust it down than to have one too small, as you can't "turn it up"! Use the larger one and "be cool" hahaha~!

Capn

For some reason my 6inch 400~cfm fan is having probs cooling my 600w hps. Pulling cold 40-60F intake from window and exausting through central air register. Using insulated 6" ducting.

Useing about 35-40 or so feet of ducting total. about 4 90 bends in the ducting but they're well rounded and supported.

I'm thinking maybe i need to attach an Inline fan somewhere to boost the airflow into the 8" central cooling ducting?

I would really appreciate some input! Any advise is welcomed!

For some reason my 6inch 400~cfm fan is having probs cooling my 600w hps. Pulling cold 40-60F intake from window and exausting through central air register. Using insulated 6" ducting.

Useing about 35-40 or so feet of ducting total. about 4 90 bends in the ducting but they're well rounded and supported.

I'm thinking maybe i need to attach an Inline fan somewhere to boost the airflow into the 8" central cooling ducting?

I would really appreciate some input! Any advise is welcomed!

seems like alot of ducting for a 600w. i prolly use a total of 10-11 ft of 6inch ducting for 2-1000w.. has 2 bends in them.. im also using an eclipse 630cfm fan. you should see if you can cut out some ducting..

Capn

Thanks

Thanks

I went and removed the excess ducting and it dropped my temps about 2 degrees. Still 86-82F in the cab tho when ambient temps from intake is 40-50F?

I guess I need to get some booster in-line fans to help out my 30' ducting problem lol.

Appreciate the advise!!