What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Afropips Malawi Gold alive and strong!

Rinse

Veteran
Thanx guys,

Hey Rinse,

I did African Seeds version of Malawi Gold many years ago. The difference, well, the old African Seeds version delivered a notably more complex high that scrambled your head so that you couldn't function-perhaps one man's medicine vs another man's poison. Further, they didn't taste nearly so good, it was a lot hotter to smoke and didn't produce nearly the resin, nor did it have the intensity of upness to it's HIGH. Also, their version was prone to setbacks in growth as they were entering the budding phase so that they would not recover nearly so easily. Yield wise, they were probably similar in the final outcome but all in all, Afropips version shines out head and shoulders above IMHO. Despite what people may have thought of Jim, he was really onto something when he released this strain onto the market and I see it really stands as a legacy from the man now that he's passed on (may he RIP).

I haven't tried ACE's version yet but from my experience with their Golden Tiger, which is a cross of their Malawi with a Meo Thai, it appears that she's not in the same league. After it's initially intense high, she lets you down with an indica like stone that lays me out with a heavy thud everytime. That's certainly not the Thai factor in there creating that effect, so I gather their standard Malawi, while reputedly being dreadfully potent (as is their Golden Tiger), doesn't bear a lot of resemblence to Afropips version either. But if you simply want your head ripped off and hammered into the mud after an exhilarating rocket ride, Golden Tiger's one to try for sure. I can only imagine their Malawi must be a real shocker!

billy

Yeah the Ace Malawi is a more narcotic variety, the heavy comedown would put me off, one of the most important thing for me is that a herb wears off clean, and you can "top up" the high as desired without ending up tired/stiff, Afro's Malawi sounds like the one :tiphat:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
great thread, good to see you rocking the next gen! i found Afropps mini malawi the same with the come down, also the same for a nycd x malawi hybrid..never nice to be left hanging after a high...;) looking good mate, keep it up!!:respect:

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm confused. You said you smoked your lone male and he turned out to be twice as potent as the females?

That's right Quasi,

A number of us smoked preflowering tips from the male and compared this to the same as gathered from the 9 females. Although this may not present as an accurate way to determine potency, experience would have us believe that the male was somewhere in the vicinity of being twice as potent. Half the amount would do the same for us as double the amount collected from the females.

That male reeked of lemonescque turpenes and we are now suspicious that this trait may be associated with potency in this particular strain, although we have to be somewhat skeptical of this conclusion at this early stage, it merely serves as an indicator for us to be more observant of these traits in the future, though we strongly suspect we might be onto something good.

billy

Hoots

What a sight!

Grown in the jungle and walking through those stands - what an experience.

Love the description of the Malawi smoke. I find ACE malawi to be a very heavy stone but clear as well. Not indica like at all though I can see why that description is added to her. The more Malawi golden tiger I find to be the most powerfull smoke I have encountered, for sheer potency the hybrid is a dream. However doing anything after a smoke of her requires immense amount of will, except smoking more of course! I find I prefer the more thai leaning as they still have the body power of the malawi but but with far more expansive high.

The qualities of your Malawi BillyBlog sound just excellent. I am aware that ACE malawi does not represent the more usual African experience and your malawi sounds like she has captured Africa in plant form - beer can thick stems - lucky lucky man!

Cheers for sharing!

homebrew420

great info and story Billy. These sound wonderful. I have and am going to start a pack of Golden Tigers this week. Honestly a little bummed my your description of GT. Hopefully I will end up with a sat leaning clear electric pheno. The Mikado is popping with those as well. Thanks again.

Peace

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
some strains produce staminate plants with higher concentration of THC etc..its in the 'Mj chemistry' book, cant quote from memory exactly..:D

inquest

Billy, sounds like you and your buds are pretty intuitive breeders. It would be nice to hear of your upcoming experiences regarding the Malawi's smell vs potency.
As for the high of Aces Malawi, I have only one fem to go by but, for me her high is like I just smoked the best mood I've ever been in! Just comfortable, clear headed/minded, smile on my face for three or four hours, taste and smell of super sweet mango..... just awesome stuff!

Homebrew: I hope you end up with a girl like mine! You wont be bummed, promise! lol

Cheers!

the gnome

Veteran
great read billy!
loved looking at the pics of cola'as swaying in the tropical breeze.
takes me back to the 70s in florida when i was doing the outdoor grows

Quasimodo

That's right Quasi,

A number of us smoked preflowering tips from the male and compared this to the same as gathered from the 9 females. Although this may not present as an accurate way to determine potency, experience would have us believe that the male was somewhere in the vicinity of being twice as potent. Half the amount would do the same for us as double the amount collected from the females.

That male reeked of lemonescque turpenes and we are now suspicious that this trait may be associated with potency in this particular strain, although we have to be somewhat skeptical of this conclusion at this early stage, it merely serves as an indicator for us to be more observant of these traits in the future, though we strongly suspect we might be onto something good.

billy

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression you meant you were getting twice as high off of a male then you did off of the females. Interesting theory though.

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
great info and story Billy. These sound wonderful. I have and am going to start a pack of Golden Tigers this week. Honestly a little bummed my your description of GT. Hopefully I will end up with a sat leaning clear electric pheno. The Mikado is popping with those as well. Thanks again.

Peace

Hey Homebrew420,

Don't misunderstand me, Golden Tiger are a truly exceptional sativa. On first impression, they seem similar to the Afropips Malawi experience but the buzz definitely turns down along the way, particularly if you compare the two strains side by side.

GT has a notably more complex high than Afropips Malawi but initially she's very 'UP' and intense but not as clear. I smoke a lot and when you rip into a decent jay of GT that has been well matured, she ends up taking you back down with what feels like an indica stoning. It's that heavy effect that would have you wondering if it didn't have an indica influence somewhere back in it's genetic history. Most of us seasoned tokers at this end fall asleep on it after a good smoking session and usually within a couple of hours or so whether it be day or night.
I did a smoke report on it over in the ACE forum titled "Golden Tiger smoke report," where Dubi and a host of Golden Tiger fans confirmed the accuracy of my description.

I guess I'm more into elite energy highs that just keep on enduring within the 'UP' register. I did 4 packs of Golden Tiger in my first grow but I didn't have a chance to separate the phenos and smoked the homogenised mix of their phenotypes. I am currently growing out around 150 females of GT on the same site as you see in this thread. I can clearly see the two main phenos standing poles apart and will do a more detailed inspection of their individual traits when I harvest. The Thai phenos are certainly going to come in quite a long way behind the Malawi leaning phenos, so I see I'm going to be doing two separate harvests to get it right.

Hope the Mikado's go well for you!

billy

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I like your educated and respectful opinions billyblog.
Thanks again for sharing them.

Braindead#1

Omae wa mo shindeiru
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent thread. What is the difference beteween the African old stock and Afropips version?

I Bought few Afropips pack few years ago...

:tiphat:

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Well opined, billyblog. I've been keeping an eye on your GT grow on the Ace page. I've got an old pack of Afropips Malawi mini. Sounds as if it is time to bust it out.

bogatin

Something I will probably never be able to enjoy at my latitudes. This is the kind of high I always looked for. I can dream about it though. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Homebrew420,

I guess I'm more into elite energy highs that just keep on enduring within the 'UP' register.

billy

What other varieties that you've grown have given you this elite energy high that you prefer, as that is exactly what I look for in strains also, and seeing that this Malawi version can no longer be easily had?

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
braindead#1,

If you scroll back a bit through this thread you'll find your answer.

twatticusfinch,

for a quick suggestion and a strain that always impressed me, c99 for a clear and intense energy high, though a good pure haze could be even closer to the mark.

Perhaps what stands out the most about Afro's Malawi is that the energy is not interrupted because it delivers such a clean, clear buzz that in real terms, it equates to real energy because it allows you to get much more achieved, where as it's nearest competitors to it's own class all tend to scramble you more so that at the end of the day, their energy is more just going around and around in your head and you don't actually achieve nearly so much. Because I am into creative stuff, I way prefer this as I don't lose my train of thought and end up pulling a lot more together in my day without being hampered as I'm not so wasted. Also, nothing else delivers such a lingering UP buzz that you wake to energy the next day without residual hangover effects.

For anyone who is interested in beans, I'd like to do a donation to Gypsy's Server Fund at sometime in the future but as I am about to go away for a month or so, I'm not going to have a chance of doing anything like that until after then, so I'd deal with that on return.

edit:

billy

Latest posts

Latest posts