What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

African Strains

Redrum92

a lot of the pure sativas have the carrot radish mango thing. especially the africans and reunion island varietals/zamal.

Thanks, good to know. I was wondering if it was generally a sativa/narrow leaf trait, or specifically African. Not sure if I've ever heard of those smells coming out of an Asian or American sativa "landrace", mostly African. Would love input on that, where it's found and theories as to why

IndicaFarmer

So I failed to get viable Ugandan Mamba seeds from my sts spraying but did keep the pollen branches from that experiment. I froze them and now did pollenate my Congo Black and can see it did work. So hoping the seeds are Ugandan dominate.

Wondering about Kidete and his Ugandan. Mine is small delicate leaves, much like the Congo. Wondering if he has the same stuff. TLT says this strain is hypnotic and used by shamans.
sounds awesome, we would love to see some pics if you have some or take some at some point. i love the super razor thin leaves. what kind of soil you use for your landraces? i used too much compost in my mix this time, next time ill use maybe 1/4 compost. Id like to use a large amount of sand too. i have seen grows in Africa where the plants are literally growing out of sand, like natural hydroponics. i assume the water they feed them has natural nutrients enough to fulfill the plants needs. amazing how efficient landraces are at utilizing available nutrients and minerals. thanks man keep up the good work Yesum. -Andrew

IndicaFarmer

Once I grew some Durban out, but I had yellow leaf trouble and the HID stripped the leaves. In the end I gave up and just tried to flower them. Only this worked beautifully. The stunted plants were nice and squat, and grew quite fat colas. The best I have ever grown. Wish I could do that every time.
I have had this happen too, like the plant corrected its ph after a bit, and in the end the flowers run the whole length. like when you intentionally strip leaf for light penetration and to encourage bud sites.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was using a coco based soil and now have changed back to foxfarms with me amending it some. I had a cal/mag deficiency using the coco and put dolomite lime on top and water it in to help. Could not figure it out till someone here said cal/mag was the problem for another person. Same thing here.

I went thru two packs of Ugandan to get one plant to live. Then I tried to self it without taking a clone, just sprayed a side of the plant. ugh. I hope the seeds from this are worth all the trouble.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Are there any African Indicas ?

No one i think, except modern import of Hindu Kush and Lebanese in Marocco. 100 years ago only NLD kind there for the kif of the rif. At the time no hash culture btw, only herb smoking in sibsi.

1679913389235.png

pure or mix with tobacco
1679913449705.png

1679913523797.png

Last edited:

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Are there any African Indicas ?

I have one thats a fairly broad leaf variety, but nothing like the really fat leafed ones from Afghanistan and that region. It was shipped over to from South Africa about 6 years ago, I wasn't told exactly what it was other than that it was very good, so I'm calling it SAMM (South African Mystery Meat) for now. I think I might've solved the mystery, but not sure enough to venture a guess in public yet. One more round of growing should do the trick. The team that sent it over are volume handlers and they picked out seeds from the stuff they liked best to send out to well behaved gents in other parts of the world, both seed packs I got were excellent, one I was told was Swazi & the other unidentified one became SAMM.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Heres a picture of a SAMM male that shows off his broadleafedness a little. He has been outside in pretty rough spring weather, in an unheated greenhouse, but that doesn't make much difference in cool temps & with very little sun, so not looking too great.

DSCN7824.JPG

Rastafarout

Premium user
Mpanbe, Pondoland. Transkei
Not to rain on your parade bru but it’s Mpande bay or sharks point as it is known in english
is near the village Sihlanjeni in the Transkei and is a tourist hot spot
The weed there is a melting pot of all sorts I myself have given them seeds way back in the 90’s
And many many tourists , backpackers, hippies, fishermen, surfers before me to this day
it’s a well known surf and chill spot
Same for mdumbi further up and
coffee bay even further up the coast (even more touristy)

And I know those genetics there are 100% mixed and have been for a very long time
You need to be very far away from the tourist areas To even get a glimpse (if that) of proper Transkei ….

St. Phatty

Not to rain on your parade bru but it’s Mpande bay or sharks point as it is known in english
is near the village Sihlanjeni in the Transkei and is a tourist hot spot
The weed there is a melting pot of all sorts I myself have given them seeds way back in the 90’s
And many many tourists , backpackers, hippies, fishermen, surfers before me to this day
it’s a well known surf and chill spot
Same for mdumbi further up and
coffee bay even further up the coast (even more touristy)

And I know those genetics there are 100% mixed and have been for a very long time
You need to be very far away from the tourist areas To even get a glimpse (if that) of proper Transkei ….

Is there enough electricity for indoor grows or is it all outdoor grows ?

Rastafarout

Premium user
@St. Phatty there is electricity but enough? No not really
load shedding and price of electricity/equipment
is a deterrent especially when you have the African sun
They do use ( mostly fluorescent bulbs ) to stop early flower , you see this very sparsely but is slowly getting popular

Maybe there’s the odd small indoor grow but I haven’t seen/heard of any
and it would probably be personal or to get the seedlings a head start for the outdoor season

Last edited:

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

@St. Phatty there is electricity but enough? No not really
load shedding and price of electricity/equipment
is a deterrent especially when you have the African sun
They do use ( mostly fluorescent bulbs ) to stop early flower , you see this very sparsely but is slowly getting popular

Maybe there’s the odd small indoor grow but I haven’t seen/heard of any
and it would probably be personal or to get the seedlings a head start for the outdoor season
Thats a big part what I like about my seeds from Southern Africa, when I got them I knew I could depend on them to be rugged outdoor types which had never been pampered or turned into crack babies via generations of indoor growing. Unique flavor profiles are a big plus too. They all flower way too late in the season for 45ºN, but I've been working on that for a few years, in a few more I'll have the issues solved.

Rastafarout

Premium user
I don't think there's much worse than seeing shitty hybrids growing in areas that still contain landrace varieties. Exploitation at its worst.
Bro don’t even go there , they have fucked so much it needs it’s own thread … modus operandi take pure put in your vault in Switzerland …ruin local place , be only one with original genetics.. not to mention ripping off said locals ….

OntologicalTurn

I don't think there's much worse than seeing shitty hybrids growing in areas that still contain landrace varieties. Exploitation at its worst.
What i think is worst is they don pay fairy to the "3rd world" farmers who actually are the ones preserving the cultivars, they just make money through branding their new hybrids where the people with biocultural history linked yo the plant is living in the worst of poverties, and this guys have now the "rights" over the seeds in order to make a monopoly with the strain while by introducing their hybrids si the landrace go to extintion and they Even are as cynical to claim they are helping the farmers that way, is what Vandana Shiva calls bio piracy.

Is not ethical. Pretty of colonizer mentality there.

Last edited:

Rastafarout

Premium user
What i think is worst is they don pay fairy to the "3rd world" farmers who actually are the ones preserving the cultivars, they just make money through branding their new hybrids where the people with biocultural history linked yo the plant is living in the worst of poverties, and this guys have now the "rights" over the seeds in order to make a monopoly with the strain while by introducing their hybrids si the landrace go to extintion and they Even are as cynical to claim they are helping the farmers that way, is what Vandana Shiva calls bio piracy.

Is not ethical. Pretty of colonizer mentality there.
Go watch the Congo episode ….if you haven’t already seen it ..
angry locals, and pretty much had the army blokes protecting them
The “extinction” is the plan but only in the wild/outdoors .To be the only ones with pure ..
I met a grower
where they had been before and he was not stoked
bugs, mould and much more watering is what he told me and he wished he never took their seed

Latest posts

Latest posts