What's new

African genetics in legendary strains :why not?

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Only Ornamental, np I wonder about stuff like also at times. Ok I can point you in the right direction but no I can't link anything on here (don't know how yet). The easiest way would be to go to thread title search (you don't even have to sign in if I remember correctly) at the top of the page and type in Blockhead. Look for older threads that focus solely on BH (from nokuy, and Steel Savage) and have quite a few replies (usually around 100 for the bigger BH threads).

Also you can type in "African" in the search bar. I just saw a few huge threads with hundreds of responses should be a lot to check out in thoses. Most are in this forum actually. Hope that helps, take care 1

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
good question!

could be it's hard to get access to the breeding stock, as well as the hippies hasj trail of yesteryear never bothered to venture into "black africa"???

blessss

I believe we have a winner.

I've got some Golden Tiger (Malawi X Meo Thai) that is being crossed with Pakistan Chitral Kush and with itself. Saving pollen for some later crosses and back crosses.

picture.php

One of my best friends is from Ghana. LOL! He's such a straight laced type, doesnt know anything about weed

Last edited:

Classic Seeds

Veteran
hi the main reason for the lack of tropical African seeds is the danger and unrest that has been a travel concern for decades and language differences.lots of the African strains are known but don't flower well above equator areas and take up to 1/2 a year to fully flower 20-26 weeks is a lot longer than most people want to wait ,plus a lot of hermies in the different strains so finding pure females and males can take a lot of room and time .I have quite a few African strains I have never worked with after trying the congo black and red and discovering it took as long as the real Vietnamese black .there have been a few introductions by companys of African seeds they just did not sell well would be my guess as to why they are not around still or have been crossed to shorter flowers strains to get them to finish in 14-16 weeks if your lucky .but you still have swazi , Durban ,Kenyan,nigerian,and milias around the seeds world as far as I know and a few newer companys offering other locations in Africa they are around if someone wants to take a crack at working them .in 5-6 generations you might have them acclimatized to your area aloha cls

vapor

Veteran
strange i never new p19{Zeus?} was African, any ideas as to which it might be>?
I still have a wack of original blockhead seeds via steve in the freezer. A friends grew some a few years ago but africans experience has grown much since then would like to look through them again and look for the p19 pheno{had a weird leaf if i recall}

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Classic,

I know I don't want to run around west africa looking for seeds. Disease, war, violence, corrupt governments.

20 weeks is a serious investment of time and resources but I love sativas

Classic Seeds

Veteran
hi vapor I looked up blockhead after all these assertions it was African genetics ,breeder steve said they came froma yacqui medicine man or in other words its a Mexican genetic not African . aloha cls

60's_girl

I have some Durban Poison and Malawi Gold coming along nicely. They have a LONG growing requirement but I have an 11 month growing season myself. Harvested OG Kush a week before Xmas. Long time to grow= big plants= big harvest. Keep an eye on the trichomes under 40X magnification daily as time gets close to chop. African satiivas are usually pure landrace and are great to cross pollinate too. Just respect the pure plant genetics so they don't disapear forever.

60's_girl

Did I mention that I have a hot humid climate to deal with and the African strains come from a similar climate. Disease resistance is an issue for me so I purposely look for strains that can tolerate my climate. Not that Jack Herer is not among my crop... I'm patient. Plants over my rooftop are a joy to see.

vapor

Veteran
hi vapor I looked up blockhead after all these assertions it was African genetics ,breeder steve said they came froma yacqui medicine man or in other words its a Mexican genetic not African . aloha cls

I will ask steve in person next time i see...