What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

affluenza defense

Green Squall

Dumb ass actually used his own cell phone :biglaugh:. He looked drugged out in the photo on the news this morning. I wonder if he was hittin up any of those famous Mexican pharmacies :thinking:.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's hoping for the "beaten to a bloody pulp on first day in jail" headline.

C'mon people serving time, don't let us down.

igrowone

Veteran
not what anyone here will want to hear
but cnn is saying that the most jail time he can see is 120 days
didn't read further, that made me sick enough

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
not what anyone here will want to hear
but cnn is saying that the most jail time he can see is 120 days
didn't read further, that made me sick enough

and 40 years if he violates his probation again. 120 days is plenty of time for a pretty, pampered little snot like him to get a nice slice of humble (cream)pie in the big house, though.

St. Phatty

leaving the country is a lot easier without a passport then entering the country...going into mexico the chances of em checking your passport leaving the us is real low....yeehaw

The Mexican cops stand at the border. I'm pretty sure they are watching for rifles & other firearms.

If you have a bulky bag, you are likely to be searched.

I talked with some Yuppie Mexican friends in Tijuana. Not wealthy, just working, got jobs cars houses etc. They said it is normal for Mexican folks to have serious firearms protection, e.g. AR 15.

It's illegal and it is also standard operating procedure.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who the fuck made this lame ass defense?? Some rich fuck I'm sure, what non-sense!!!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have crossed the boarder into mexico many times and never had to show anything....haven't been recently as its time to get my passport....yeehaw..being in san diego I used to cross a few times a week once upon a time

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
the rich can afford lawyers that are friends with prosecutors and or the judge...yeehaw..its all about money and who ya know....like I said it wouldn't work in reverse for a poor person or just an average person like me...

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
They showed the rundown apartment they were living in very far from the resort area. It looked like roach hotel. They got busted because they used a cell phone to order pizza. LOL. Now the fun starts. They will get so tangled up in the legal red tape they would wish they were in the big house on the hill with all the bars over the doors.

Green Squall

They showed the rundown apartment they were living in very far from the resort area. It looked like roach hotel. They got busted because they used a cell phone to order pizza. LOL. Now the fun starts. They will get so tangled up in the legal red tape they would wish they were in the big house on the hill with all the bars over the doors.

And Dominoes at that! Who the hell orders Dominoes in Mexico?

shithawk420

Veteran
Mind is blown that there are Dominoes in Mexico.and why would you order pizza when certain places in mexico has some of the best cuisine in the world.thats proof right there that they are rich,spoiled,ignorant fucks that dont know shit about the world.i apoligise mexico,for even introducing that shitty,awful pizza to your country.that is not what pizza is supposed to taste like.i hope they get food poisoning

igrowone

Veteran
i see our affluenzic friend is fighting extradition from mexico
guess he prefers it mexican style, what's the spanish equivalent to bubba?

lawlrus

Playing the Devil's Advocate here, in this case specifically (Ethan Couch) the judge gave him 10 years of probation for a very specific reason and it was not that they bought the "affluenza" defense. 10 years of probation is no joke and is extraordinarily difficult to make it through without violating the conditions that go along with it. The idea was that if the kid actually made an effort to rehabilitate himself, it would be possible that a decade down the road he could be a totally free man and not repeat the horrible mistakes that got him to this point. The judge also knew that hitting him with a harsh sentence right off the bat would make it easy for his attorneys to turn that around, but giving him the probation and then letting him violate it himself (as was pretty obviously going to happen, given the nature of the case and the family's story -- go read about them, totally fucked up family dynamics to say the least) means that he essentially put the nail in his own coffin.

I can appreciate that because it hits two salient points of how the criminal justice system is supposed to work -- the idea of attempting to rehabilitate versus simply locking people up to repeat the cycle, and the idea of personal responsibility which allowed this idiot kid to take what should have been seen as a totally undeserved blessing and bend himself over to fuck his own ass with it.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Playing the Devil's Advocate here, in this case specifically (Ethan Couch) the judge gave him 10 years of probation for a very specific reason and it was not that they bought the "affluenza" defense. 10 years of probation is no joke and is extraordinarily difficult to make it through without violating the conditions that go along with it. The idea was that if the kid actually made an effort to rehabilitate himself, it would be possible that a decade down the road he could be a totally free man and not repeat the horrible mistakes that got him to this point. The judge also knew that hitting him with a harsh sentence right off the bat would make it easy for his attorneys to turn that around, but giving him the probation and then letting him violate it himself (as was pretty obviously going to happen, given the nature of the case and the family's story -- go read about them, totally fucked up family dynamics to say the least) means that he essentially put the nail in his own coffin.

I can appreciate that because it hits two salient points of how the criminal justice system is supposed to work -- the idea of attempting to rehabilitate versus simply locking people up to repeat the cycle, and the idea of personal responsibility which allowed this idiot kid to take what should have been seen as a totally undeserved blessing and bend himself over to fuck his own ass with it.

I don't know which would be worse, giving him that insane sentence because she believed in it or giving him that sentence to prove a point. The point being, she knew he would violate the terms.
If to prove a point, what would the point be if this punk did it again and killed another 4 people while on this "probation"?