What's new

Advice PLEASE!! Landlord coming on Monday to 'investigate my power bill'

Macster2

I didn't originally agree with alot that was said on this thread, thinking how could the superintendant know anything about a 250 watt grow. Its to small to impact a electric bill enough to bring suspicion on you but that said why did the bastard want to go through you personnel closets and why did he focus on the closet you had your grow in.
Seems likely to me, he's been in your place when your not around , found your grow and it took off from there. I doubt there is anything he can do because he'd have to admit he broke into you apartment. But it sounds like a good idea to move on. Again don't sweat it, he's got nothing he can move on, but I wouldn't want to live in a place where a super is walking into your apartment when your not home

leaddraft

My .02
Your LandLord KNOWS/KNOWS/KNOWS..
Think a "new" computer draws over 250 watts now a days...
He KNOWS your growing..
Don't take revenge, just shut down and MOVE....... ASAP

No hassels, NO revenge, just get the **** out..
/Be HAPPY you STILL CAN WITH YOUR FREEDOM...
LD

Hahaha.... if this ****er has been in my apartment, me and the girlfriend are going to screw him over good. Not by being vengeful and malicious (necessarily), but we're going to catch him in the act if he does it again.
My desktop PC is running almost 100% of the time and is situated very close to my front door. I noticed a cheap webcam on sale locally... I'm gonna go pick up one of those, and set it up to act as a motion-activated security camera. If he tries to come in when we're not home, he'll be captured on video, and then we own his ass. See this link for info on how to do this:
http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/09/2...tion-detecting-and-recording-security-camera/

This guide shows how to use a free program that will automatically capture images when motion is detected by the webcam. There are lots of options and it is not bloatware. There is even an advanced guide that will allow you to set up multiple webcams to monitor multiple areas of your property, then upload all the images to a remote FTP server so you can check everything even when you're not home!!

If he comes in again we'll bust his ass for sure. Awesome!

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there ya go genius, keep pushing your luck.
"let's **** w/ the landlord"
who's to say he hasnt been in your apt. and taken pics of the grow already?
he OWNS where you live and can do whatever he wants to do with HIS property.
i dont get people like you, you grow pot. you have no rights in the laws eyes.
let it be man. let it be.
be happy your not getting ass raped in prison right now.
your LL was kind enough to give you fair warning about everything.
why push your luck?
keep effing around, you might get that prison bromance youre obviously dying to have.

Uhhh... if he trespassed in my apartment without my knowledge/consent and took pics of the grow that evidence isn't usable in court since he obtained it illegally. I think this is a pretty good idea to **** my landlord over if he tries to pull any more shit. Growing or not, I take my privacy pretty seriously and I dont want some asshole waltzing into my living space. Although he does own the building, he and I signed the tenancy agreement both understanding my rights to privacy. I should be able to expect that those rights will be maintained and not have to worry about him abusing them. Just because he owns the building doesn't mean I have no rights to privacy and he can walk in at any time and do whatever he wants.

Why the hell am i bothering to post about this shit if everything I do is gonna get criticized? I'm getting sick of this... I did most of what you guys wanted and what was possible for me to accomplish. I'm tired of all the negative comments.

Maybe you should try and read more of the thread before making unwanted and unnecessarily critical posts, cocktail frank. If you're not gonna give me constructive criticism then don't ****ing bother. I dont know how many times i've been told i'm a moron in this thread and its getting pretty tiresome. I dont see why I should bother contributing to this forum when i get so many critical responses.

So, cocktail frank and others who feel the need to try to make me feel like a dumbass for not thinking the way you guys do, you can all **** off.
Thank you to those who took the time to actually read the thread and post constructive comments. I value your opinions.

Last edited:
G

Put a trap inside like a piss device(bag of rotten piss that pops over his head) The creep has been sniffing your y-fronts. He is a typical landlord. If you can prove he has been invading your privacy jail him.

G

Had a landlord come over and check an apartment years ago, Imagine his surprise when he found his wifes underwear on my nightstand LOL true story

B

British_Bulldog

octodiem said:
Had a landlord come over and check an apartment years ago, Imagine his surprise when he found his wifes underwear on my nightstand LOL true story

LoL :D

And bbfarmer - film him coming in if you like, but make sure the apartment has absolutely no drugs in it now, and nothing else illegal, or it won't be you having the last laugh.

Peace

Last edited:
G

I'm not trying to be preachy man, I have been in this EXACT situation more than once and I know how it will play out. People like Cocktail and I are trying to help you because we're old and wise(er). Video is great, but after the fact the best it can do is put you and the landlord in an impasse where you still don't get to run your grow and he really doesn't lose out on all that much. What are you going to do with the video? take it to resident/landlord arbitration? As soon as he starts talking about you growing you'll have a rough time getting any kind of consideration out of them and you'll be stuck looking for a new place to live with a nice big blotch on your permanent record. I went through this exact same thing after a landlord of mine let a contractor into my apartment without my permission, the contractor stole plants and other personal belongings of mine and then ratted me out to the landlord. When I approached the arbitrators office, they basically told me that they couldn't help me once the subject of growing came up. I even had the landlord trying to blackmail me for 2 months rent, threatening to deliver photos he claimed to have taken to the cops. I called his bluff and crossed my fingers and luckily nothing came of it, but this stuff CAN and does happen. Get a new apartment and start security measures from the first day there, the webcam is a great idea. You can move into a new spot and grow all you want, why are you so hung up on trying to continue growing in a place where your security has been totally blown?

Well thank you for at least posting in a constructive nature, SuperNuck (unlike cocktail). But please do read the whole thread before commenting on my actions and offering suggestions... sorry I dont mean to be rude.

"You can move into a new spot and grow all you want, why are you so hung up on trying to continue growing in a place where your security has been totally blown?"

As I stated in post #90 of this thread, we intend to move elsewhere and do not intend to ever grow again in this apartment. Once the buds are done drying they will be packed up and moved to a safe location. There is nowhere else right now that can accommodate my drying buds. If I do get any footage of him coming into the apartment, it will be used once everything is safely out and there is nothing illegal in the apartment (as British_Bulldog mentioned). I dont see how he can possibly try to fight surveillance images of him entering my apartment without notice. He will have nothing other than his suspicions that I had been growing, and that is no grounds for entering my apartment without notice or consent. He has no proof that would stand up in court. If he took pics of the grow (which i doubt), then they would've been taken when he entered my apartment illegally.

That sucks to hear about your situation with your landlord, SuperNuck. At least you got out of it okay (more or less)! Thanks for your input.

droopy

Hi Blueberry,

I've been reading the whole thread since it started and it was quite "Hitchcockian" at some point (are you going to take them out or not !? You finally did, congrats).

I'll be trying to bring a few constructive critics :
- Like said before, your LL has not been a total ass (even if he entered your home). Basically his message when giving you notice of the inspection was : "Listen, I know you grow, let's not talk about it but take everything out. period").
He could have called the Leos, he did not. That's an excellent point (no matter the reasons why he didn't call).

Now, the thing that upsets you the most (as I perceive it) is that your LL entered your home while you were not there. And you are right to feel so. And you want now to spend time/energy/money/frustration in trying to catch him with a camera.
What's the point of doing so since :
1- it's clear that he did it before (yes, he breached the contract, but so did you : 50/50).
2- it's evident he'll do so again until you leave (and you are about to leave).

The question is : what will be the benefit of fueling any controversy with your LL ?
* Doing stupid things in the appartment ? : put the oven on for 1 month and if a fire breaks out and kills a few neighbours ? increasing the energy bill as a revenge (if the next occupant is too a MJ grower, this time the LL will call the Leos first hand) ?
* Getting a screenshot of your LL entering your home ? You know he/she did it before, and you know he/she will do it again now until you leave. Using those screenshots in Court (are you serious) ?

Conclusion :
- Enjoy your new home, sincerely !
- your LL has not been a total ass, so there's no reason to "punish" him
- The motion-cam story is a possibility but for what use since you know that LL entered your home, that LL knows you know he/she did, that LL didn't call the Leos... Just pass on !
- Politeness & diplomacy is a far better weapon than any motion-cam or agressive words.

Good luck with your future grows, they'll taste better I guess after this unfortunate -but not totally- experience.

Well, i'm not 100% sure he's been in the apartment when i'm not home, and i'm not 100% sure he ever definitely KNEW about the grow. There are so many mixed signals its impossible to tell at this point. Yes he 'tipped' me off by giving me notice of the inspection, but he also ruthlessly inspected every inch of my apartment once he got in there as if he was looking for anything he could find to evict me. What i haven't bothered to post about yet is that after he looked through the apartment, he gave me an eviction notice, citing the adjusted thermostat and extra appliances that he found while inspecting that contradict our tenancy agreement (I left them out and didn't bother to hide them to provide reasons for my high power bill). He also listed on the eviction notice that we didn't report a small patch of mould in our bathroom to him (which was there when we moved in, just painted over). He put a wireless temperature monitor near my thermostat in the guarded box so he can monitor the temperature of my apartment wirelessly (so he can be sure i'm not using more heat (and subsequently more of his $$$) than i'm entitled to). The eviction notice states that if I dont keep my temperature within the range he wants for the next week, then we have to move out (by December 23, no less). I'm not too worried about this, but it just goes to show that he's trying to find everything that he can to screw me and my girlfriend over. And now he's contacted me twice since then, trying to be all nice and trying to arrange a time that he can come over and deal with some of the little things that he found that needed to be fixed (this is opposite to his attitude after the inspection where he said i can expect my 24hrs written notice of him coming any time this week). I have no ****ing clue what to think about this guy. he's totally confused me.... Always mixed signals. Anyway, i'm gonna play it safe and cool with him, and set up the security cam. If we have any more problems, then hopefully I'll have some evidence of his wrongdoing (and he wont have any evidence of mine!).

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
blueberryfarmer said:
Well, i'm not 100% sure he's been in the apartment when i'm not home, and i'm not 100% sure he ever definitely KNEW about the grow. There are so many mixed signals its impossible to tell at this point. Yes he 'tipped' me off by giving me notice of the inspection, but he also ruthlessly inspected every inch of my apartment once he got in there as if he was looking for anything he could find to evict me. What i haven't bothered to post about yet is that after he looked through the apartment, he gave me an eviction notice, citing the adjusted thermostat and extra appliances that he found while inspecting that contradict our tenancy agreement (I left them out and didn't bother to hide them to provide reasons for my high power bill). He also listed on the eviction notice that we didn't report a small patch of mould in our bathroom to him (which was there when we moved in, just painted over). He put a wireless temperature monitor near my thermostat in the guarded box so he can monitor the temperature of my apartment wirelessly (so he can be sure i'm not using more heat (and subsequently more of his $$$) than i'm entitled to). The eviction notice states that if I dont keep my temperature within the range he wants for the next week, then we have to move out (by December 23, no less). I'm not too worried about this, but it just goes to show that he's trying to find everything that he can to screw me and my girlfriend over. And now he's contacted me twice since then, trying to be all nice and trying to arrange a time that he can come over and deal with some of the little things that he found that needed to be fixed (this is opposite to his attitude after the inspection where he said i can expect my 24hrs written notice of him coming any time this week). I have no ****ing clue what to think about this guy. he's totally confused me.... Always mixed signals. Anyway, i'm gonna play it safe and cool with him, and set up the security cam. If we have any more problems, then hopefully I'll have some evidence of his wrongdoing (and he wont have any evidence of mine!).

I'd forget about any of that and just keep your head down and move out. I hate it when you're forced to move out (recently happened to me), but it's a risk anyone takes when growing.

It's nay good to see growers ending up in jail, move on and make sure you have no contact with your ex-landlord again. Staying safe is what it's all about. Good luck to you and your new place blueberryfarmer. :wave:

High Jinks

Tap out like a wrestler, yes sir.
Your time has come.
Next time, you'll know what to do, right?
No grow is worth your freedom.
I'm sure your next sitch will be 100% better.
Good luck

What are you pissed at Cocktail Frank for bro? You have to have common sense and be light on your toes to survive at any level of this game; you are failing miserably! You posted this thread because you were panicking you got advice that saved your life! be grateful and humble and realized that 3 + 4=7 simple arithmetic

The Jails are full of stoners/ criminals/growers who reacted the wrong way in a sticky situation, lose your macho bravado and use your head if you have one. If I were you I would soak up as much of the game as these old timers choose to give you! do not disrespect the game because the game is life and life is the game!

Last edited:

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you gonna give me -K for my comment?
ungrateful prick! i was just trying to help you.
i read the whole post and if it wasnt for the people here telling you how to handle your business, you'd be locked up right now!
anybody w/ 1/2 a brain would have known what to do up front.
but whatever buddy,
next time rot in jail.
your ll totally knows you grow, he let you know that.
that was a nice effort on his behalf.
then u say how your gonna try and fuck him over.
that is why you have a 1/2 a brain.
people like you are what give us growers a bad name.
you wont learn til you do a bid for growing unfortunately.
karma will come for you eventually,
keep shitting on people who try to help and watch what happens to you.
punk fucking kid

cocktail frank, you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to me and my situation. Thanks for trying.

By the way, ExcelAtIt and anyone else that might be interested, my girlfriend and I didn't get evicted (yet) - we got an 'eviction notice', but its a first warnign type of thing. If the landlord decides that we haven't been complying with his conditions laid out in the eviction notice, then we get evicted. We still have the option of delaying and trying to fight it and stuff, if we want to (and if he even follows up on it). But by the sounds of the way the landlord has talked with us since then, I think he might think he made a mistake in giving us the notice. Hard to say.

Anyway, many thanks to those who actually read the thread, listened to my concerns and constructively tried to advise me in this situation. If it weren't for you guys, I'm pretty sure I would've tried to keep everything locked up in the cabinet and just hoped the landlord wouldn't make a big deal out of it (which it turned out he did).

So i'm glad everything has worked out for the best so far. I tried to upload some pics of the harvest and the plants the other day, but ICMag seems to be having difficulty with pics lately... if i can get some pics up then I'll post back here. Hopefully you guys want to see what all this fuss is about! haha.. I think i got some decent nugs despite the early chop.

Thanks a bunch (almost) everyone.

texasluv

blueberryfarmer- I've read every single post in this whole thread and I can't believe you gave cocktail frank -K for the GOOD advice he gave you. I am not coming down on you, but I think you need to get back and re-evaluate the way you are reacting. You asked a question, and got an answer. Not the one you wanted to hear, but it was the right answer. If you don't want to hear the answers, don't ask the question. Just because you don't agree with what someone says doesn't mean you punish them. I agree that that was a dick move, but whatever. Not my problem.

You say you are not 100% sure that he knew about your grow?!?!?!?!? Is it going to take your landlord actually saying the words, "I know you were growing" before you believe it? WTF more do you need?!?!?! He gave you notice, he INSISTED to look in a wardrobe he has NO BUSINESS IN. HE ****ING KNEW WHAT WAS IN THAT WARDROBE AT SOME POINT!!!! If you can't understand that then sell your light, dump your seeds, and leave growing for those of us that understand common sense.

I'm not directly insulting you, you are just inexperienced. Please don't get offended, I'm not trying to be dick. It would be unfair for me to say "you should have known..." simply because I've been doing this FAR longer than you have, and on a much larger scale. You learn with time, consider this a learning experience. As you can see, a lot of people on this site knew exactly what was going to happen based on your first post. You didn't have the experience to come to same conclusion as all of us 'old timers.' That should tell you there are a lot of people here with more experience than you that can teach you something. Although cocktail frank came down a little hard on you, it was for your own good. Just remember, he did not give you a single piece of bad advice (trust me, I went back and read all of his posts....) He tried to help, you punished him for it.

Do what you must. Obviously, you are not going to get rid of the buds. I wouldn't either, even though I know better. I know its hard to hear the exact opposite of what you want to hear, but it is necessary sometimes. In the past 6 months I had to shut down an entire 4KW operation, cutting down every single plant and throwing them into plastic bags to be sunk to the bottom of the ocean. Trust me, it hurts to be safe- but it hurts less than getting ****ed in the ass in jail.

blueberryfarmer said:
Uhhh... if he trespassed in my apartment without my knowledge/consent and took pics of the grow that evidence isn't usable in court since he obtained it illegally. I think this is a pretty good idea to **** my landlord over if he tries to pull any more shit. Growing or not, I take my privacy pretty seriously and I dont want some asshole waltzing into my living space. Although he does own the building, he and I signed the tenancy agreement both understanding my rights to privacy. I should be able to expect that those rights will be maintained and not have to worry about him abusing them. Just because he owns the building doesn't mean I have no rights to privacy and he can walk in at any time and do whatever he wants.

Why the hell am i bothering to post about this shit if everything I do is gonna get criticized? I'm getting sick of this... I did most of what you guys wanted and what was possible for me to accomplish. I'm tired of all the negative comments.

Maybe you should try and read more of the thread before making unwanted and unnecessarily critical posts, cocktail frank. If you're not gonna give me constructive criticism then don't ****ing bother. I dont know how many times i've been told i'm a moron in this thread and its getting pretty tiresome. I dont see why I should bother contributing to this forum when i get so many critical responses.

So, cocktail frank and others who feel the need to try to make me feel like a dumbass for not thinking the way you guys do, you can all **** off.
Thank you to those who took the time to actually read the thread and post constructive comments. I value your opinions.

Actually, the evidence would be admissible since he is not an agent of the state. Cops can't get evidence illegaly, private citizens can.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Unless they changed the terminology recently " eviction notice " has never been interpreted as a warning. Its a legal part of the procedure to remove you from the property. Since you dont seem to be very open to decent advice unless its berated into you from multiple sources may I suggest you educate yourself on the specifics. Everyplace has a landlord tenants union where they lay out the local laws, you should look into them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eviction

Best advice I can give is learn from others mistakes [ as this is where most of this advice is coming from anyways.] By adhearing to that rule I have avoided a majority of the problems I havent firmly walked into with both feet by straying from that advice.

Latest posts

Latest posts