What's new

Advice On Protecting My Genetics

keyplay

ICMag Donor
Hello, Just a question for the common sense veteran's out there, please. I have a strain I want to protect. What is the best way to record, document, and patent my strain(s)?

Are there any breeders who have attempted to copyright their seeds and cuts? Many of us foresee upcoming industry theft and genetic appropriation becoming a huge problem soon-much more so than what has been encountered so far and by corporate monopolies who have legal teams on salary. Other than DNA testing and documentation, what would the process for the independent small businessperson be?

robbiedublu

I don't think it will be possible until weed is legal and even then only genetically modified seed lines will be able to be protected. How can you patent a seed line that you got from someone else? Maybe you bred a new line but you got the original genetics somewhere, and someone else can do the same thing. It'll cost a lot of money also.

keyplay

ICMag Donor
I know you can archive seeds with the USDA seed program. I am tring to protect the things close to me from genetic modification and theft. Other than hoarding it-which kind of sucks for multiple reasons. Come on guys-lets get creative here

K1ndBudz

HOARD like a muthafuck*! Only sell your seeds through legit distributors and keep your parents locked down tight(Keep your breeding stock copied at a secure location in case of busts, ect). And if possible keep the actual crosses a secret, so the copy cats can suck it. lol

But in all honesty, once a cut hits McDonald's you know everybody and their momma have their grimy paws on it.

nordic_grower

I know you can archive seeds with the USDA seed program. I am tring to protect the things close to me from genetic modification and theft. Other than hoarding it-which kind of sucks for multiple reasons. Come on guys-lets get creative here
Please don't use the word theft unless your talking about actual theft (as in someone removing something from you). Someone growing or selling or breeding your seeds/clones is not theft. I suppose you could go as far as calling it "infringement" or some shit like that, but come one, do you really want to be that douchey?

K1ndBudz

keyplay has put in time and effort to create something special, I see nothing wrong with him wanting to protect what he was worked hard to achieve.

It's truly a shame our community has come to this, when someone who is creating true medicine is hesitant to freely release his creation to the public in fear of losing any genetic exclusivity and having every tom, dick, and harry around town claiming to be the absolute shit, just cause they paid twelve bucks to a third party (not affiliated w/ keyplay) for a clone.

So what, keyplay is supposed to just give away genetics for a pittance so other folks can profit from his work, wtf.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
sorry keyplay, but its open game out here in oaksterdam. i think hoarding is BS...the only thing you should be able to patent is your company brand thats about it.

if you want to hoard your strain dont sell clones or seeds simple. and if people wanna backcross your shit what are you gonna do? pull some RIAA shit and file lawsuits??

sorry but i think patenting A PLANT is BS thats like saying red lettuce is patented only a certain farm can grow red lettuce instead of green lettuce....
So what, keyplay is supposed to just give away genetics for a pittance so other folks can profit from his work, wtf.

who said keyplay HAS to give out genetics? if he want a certain strain to be his alone...he must have created it from seed. so he has to NEVER sell clones or seeds...very simply. no ones putting a gun to his head and making him give out clones. if i created a new strain from seed that was freakin awesome and i wanted to hoard it...DONT GIVE OUT CUTS only sell finished product!!

keyplay

ICMag Donor
HOARD like a muthafuck*! Only sell your seeds through legit distributors and keep your parents locked down tight(Keep your breeding stock copied at a secure location in case of busts, ect). And if possible keep the actual crosses a secret, so the copy cats can suck it. lol

But in all honesty, once a cut hits McDonald's you know everybody and their momma have their grimy paws on it.

What library of cannabis strains do you think Philip Morris has? R J Reynolds? etc..

And if they were using a special strain for a product with their DNA copyright, what do you think their reaction would be to someone starting production with said strain? LOL

Protecting your work is necessary ALWAYS-some things were meant to be hoarded and were promised as such.

I believe everyone has a right to earn a decent honest living for their hard work and creativity.

K1ndBudz

patenting A PLANT is BS thats like saying red lettuce is patented only a certain farm can grow red lettuce instead of green lettuce....
Tell that to the folks working at Monsanto corporation...

DONT GIVE OUT CUTS only sell finished product!!

Yeah, just do that!:dance013:
some things were meant to be hoarded and were promised as such.
That whole fiasco was BS man, granted alot of folks (most of them just hard working nice people) are enjoying some fine meds as a result.

I believe everyone has a right to earn a decent honest living for their hard work and creativity.

Exactly!:artist:

MrBlue2

Hello, Just a question for the common sense veteran's out there, please. I have a strain I want to protect. What is the best way to record, document, and patent my strain(s)?

Are there any breeders who have attempted to copyright their seeds and cuts? Many of us foresee upcoming industry theft and genetic appropriation becoming a huge problem soon-much more so than what has been encountered so far and by corporate monopolies who have legal teams on salary. Other than DNA testing and documentation, what would the process for the independent small businessperson be?

strain hoarding should be done for a reason. Money is a good enough reason for me. If your doing it for an ego boost then your an idiot. You should plan to make as much money off of the strain as possible. Have an exit strategy. do you really want to be the only person growing this strain for the next 20, 30, or 40 years? do you want to take it to the grave with you?

You need too decide what you want out of your strain. If you want to make a shit ton of money off of it, this is what i would do.

First, keep it to yourself and grow a shit ton of it. do it right and keep your quality up. If people like it and it is marketed properly, you will have a hot new brand name strain. once you have a hot new brand named strain and get tired of blowing up warehouses, you can begin the breeding process. If its an unstable cross you can make a back cross or make the same cross as the original if its still practical to your situation. Once you have it figured out you can run big seed rooms and sell the seeds (which i hear can be very profitable).

once you have released the seeds to the public, make a new cross and repeat the process over again. (now your a professional breeder)

keep in mind if you hoard to hard, not enough of your strain (buds) will hit the street and it will be difficult to make it popular.

Also, there is a very high likelihood that you are not the first person to work with the genetics that you have. People have been breeding cannabis for thousands of years and most good base genetics have been worked on by another breeder at some point (or constantly) in the past couple hundred years. countless generations of selective breeding is what makes all of our good pot as good as it is today. So claiming a strain to be yours is like taking full credit for a project several hundred of your coworkers did most of the work on. I guess the point is to stay humble about it.

To sum it all up. make a ton of money and share it when your ready.

Hope this helps

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Mr. Blue made some great points.

I wonder if you could mail yourself a tissue sample from your plant or a bunch of the seeds in a sealed and certified envelope and one day in the future if it becomes possible to patent a strain, if you would be able to use that in your filing. Just a random thought, since that's what it seems like you're asking for.

I have to say I agree with two major points. If you hoard it too much then the strain won't be popular. I also laughed when you talked about getting tired of blowing up warehouse after warehouse. Like anything in life that is repeated, it gets quite boring.

Best of Luck KeyPlay

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Mr. Blue made some great points.

I wonder if you could mail yourself a tissue sample from your plant or a bunch of the seeds in a nitrogen sealed packet and certified/notarized envelope and one day in the future if it becomes possible to patent a strain, if you would be able to use that in your filing. Just a random thought, since that's what it seems like you're asking for.

I have to say I agree with two major points. If you keep it too tight then the strain won't be popular. I also laughed when you talked about getting tired of blowing up warehouse after warehouse. Like anything in life that is repeated, it gets quite boring. It seems like the only way to get it out there though, especially since it seems like you trusted someone and they did not respect your wishes.

Best of Luck KeyPlay

WelderDan

Veteran
I'm of the opinion that if I ever create something really special, I'm going to share the love and pass it around freely for others to enjoy. Kinda like I already do anyway, I just don't have the next Kush or other hot product. Yet.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
keyplay is just mad because his sour grapes got tossed around the local scene....and i know guys who even made their own sour grapes strain using GDP and Fire OG kush....came out way nicer than the purple x SD cross KP worked with....

hoarding is bullshit, and attempting to do so will always come back to bite you in the ass....ask the bruce banner guy out in CO lol..that backfired on him pretty bad. if you attempt to keep something from people they will do everything they can to get it or counterfeit it. and now theres a few different strawberry sour versions out from rez and bog. and then look at the pure kush hoarders lol...once KB got that cut we passed it around like the town whore! now we all are able to grow ourselves some of the best kush available.....SCREW HOARDERS!!