What's new

Adventure to Big Island, Hawaii

Hey,
As part of this organization called wwoof aka world wide opportunities on organic farms I am taking the chance to go to Hawaii with my partner.
Ill be there for three to six months and wanted to know whats to be expected coming from dirty jersey/philthadelphia.
I am seeking anyone with experience on living on the big island.
Thanks

SpayceRayce

Wifes uncle goes couple times a yr, loves it. Regular daily rain, a.m. I think. Breezy, no bugs. Warm. Check with the USA forum, might be Hawaii regulars to give specifics. Enjoy.

I

Iron_Lion

That sounds like a really interesting project to be involved in. Good luck and have fun :wave:

G

Goodkarma

Hawaii is the 50th state. So, you will still be in the USA

E

el dub

Nope. No passport needed.

20 miles north of Hilo, so you will be on the east side of the island. Its a beautiful area that sees a lot of rain. I have a few friends in that general area and a couple on the west shore.

Enjoy.

lw

I figured I wouldn't need my passport but I still can find it.There is a Burning Man Regional on the Big Island; basically what happens is that a temporary city is built than burnt down leaving no trace. El dub, you should look into that if your interested in camping a few nights.
I guess I can post up where my adventure in Hawaii takes me.

E

el dub

I don't live on the big island, AT, but we have spent some time there. Matter of fact, its about time we get back that way.....

Keep us posted, eh?

lw

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
I've spent quite a bit of time on the big I....I actually went down there as part of the wwoof program. Hit the Natch (health food store)in Pahoa to see whats going down around town. Definitely ask where the Garden Temple is (ganja sanctuary)and check that out! Tons of snorkeling and good vibes all around. You'll have a blast! I am planning on going back for a little visit soon.

peace!

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AB, you will be close to Volcano National Park. Do yourself a favor and check out Fern Forest. The first time I hiked there I couldn't believe it... the land is so new it almost has what I would call a new car smell! Akaka Falls is also a must see.

Lots of Vog to deal with these days (ariel discharge from the continuous volcanic eruption), and not many employment opportunities on the Hilo side. Land is cheap and the attitude towards cannabis is laid back, but watch yourself. There are plenty thugs that make their living from jacking ppls crops.

Mainlanders have a better chance of being accepted when they don't bring an attitude with them. The way you did things on the mainland doesn't mean squat there.
Be humble, be friendly and you'll do fine.

If you're planning to cash crop, it may be difficult. You'll have to export to get decent $$, as weed is plentiful and cheap.

Good luck Anita! :)

I loved Hawaii, I just got back to the east coast. Philly and New Jersey life is bullshit I am going back really soon to live in waipio valley!
Aloha

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I loved Hawaii, I just got back to the east coast. Philly and New Jersey life is bullshit I am going back really soon to live in waipio valley!
Aloha

:woohoo::ying:

glad to see ya made it back!

how did I ever miss this thread to begin with???

been there twice long ago ('76 & the holidays of '78/'79) and both times were a gas! X-Mas & NY eve as we honeymooners island hopped was a dream come true, way better than my 1st visit.

I'm sure you were able to see how to live affordably in paradise even if it takes some sacrifice the difference of dirty jersey (I was born there) to Hawaii is day n' night.

K++

I hope you find a way to make your dream come true BongHit.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
spam spam spam spam and eggs , spam and potatoes , spam capitol

whoever found that post 'Unhelpful' is at the very least 'uninformed', Hawaii IS and always will be the Spam capitol of the world. Go ahead and wikipedia (or countless other sources) it, it's a fact.......

supermanlives

Veteran
gave out too much rep and votes today ^^^^^. i dont care much about not helpful or neg k . dont mean much too me

lol hawaii is the spam capitol for sure. ever hear of loco moco or the distinctive smell of kailua pig.
i ate like a millionaire in hawaii thanks the abundance of food there and people who know how to eat. poi is the reason why hawaiians are so large.