What's new

adding smell

C

cannagirl

bobman, a slow dry and good cure is about the only way to store weed and preserve your smell and flavor. Some strains dont have as much smell, for those strains, add more MgS04 or epsom salt. The MgS04 adds sulfur which help the terpenins develop, which help your aroma.

For your current bud, I would just say fuck it and not worry about trying ot add any extra smells now. Oh and the only bud I have ever seen fruit added too, was mexi schwagg. Not trying to rag on you, but I just want you to be aware of what your doing will be compared too.

Last edited:
C

cannagirl

cannagirl: u have any info u can share related to that??

The presence of sulphur is not only used as a micronutrient in the plant, but it assists chemical bonds and allows better uptake of Nitrogen. Sulfur is a necessary micronutrient and most people these days find themselves using additives like Bud Candy or Sweet or FloraNectar, or even just sulfured molasses. They feel they need these to augment flavor (this is today's main argument against hydro from the organic guys). This is because of the sulfur content, read the labels on those 'sweetener' additives, on almost all of them the main ingredient is Magnesium Sulphate.

Cannabinoids and terpenins are complex sulfur compounds and cannot form correctly without the presence of sulfur in the nutrient schedule. Most of these compounds form late in flower. Anything that we perceive as a strong odor (usually stinky) contains some amount of sulfur. Most complete nutrient lines and soil mixes used by growers today lack the correct amount of sulfur. The reason is that most of these nutrients and soils were formulated 15-20 years ago when there were higher concentrations of sulfuric acid (acid rain) in our atmosphere and ground water. Nutrient and soil companies back then reduced the amount of sulfur in their products to compensate. In today's world, environmental regulations have reduced a lot of the sulfur around us, and most indoor growers today are using filtered water. This resulting lack of sulfur causes a lack of flavor in the finished product. The nutrient companies are aware of this, but instead of adjusting their micronutrient line, they seem to find it more lucrative to sell you "flavor enhancing additives". If you are growing in hydro, the sugar in molasses will do very little to help your plant, the sugar only feeds the microbial life found in soil. The sulfur content however makes a huge difference in taste and smell!

Not to mention, MgSO4 has a natural pH of 6.0 and can be used as pH down or as a general pH buffer in recirculating hydro systems.

C

cannagirl

was that an article or the AN ads that look like articles?

We had a friend of ours, who is a botanist and herb grower, break that down for us. I've gotta ask, Greenmopho, for the ratio's of MSO4 per gal, Ill get that for you.

C

cannagirl

Im suggesting that for this current hay smelling bud, to cut your loses and maybe just give it away or something, if you cant sell it as is.

For future bud, Im suggesting that if your going the hydro route add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of epsom salt per gallon to your feed schedule or if your doing soil use sulfured molasses and try to slow your drying down. Also know that some bud just may not have a strong smell, either bad breeding or bagseed and might not have anything to do with your growing style.

bobman

Interesting, the hay weed is already gone. I just harvested plants that I am afraid are having the same smell issues. I have been growing ak47 and I am trying to find a mother and they have been very touchy. The good news is that the current harvest is starting to smell and look a little better. They have been drying for 5 or 6 days. It looks like the trichs are returning and they are starting to glisten and smell more like weed and not hay but I do not know. This is my first strain that needed this much attention all the way through the grow.

bobman

so canna epsom does not throw off ph. I usually mix up 20-25 gallons of nutes at a time. I have a bunch laying around here somewhere.

Dex seen it and read through before but I will need to do it again to dial in this strain.

Thanks both of you.

C

cannagirl

well MgSO4 has a natural Ph of 6.0 so you should be fine. you might notice your salts a little higher than usual but its fine.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Back in the old days (60s-70s) when we had dried out schwag Mexican or Jamaican herb, we would add orange peels or pieces of dried orange in with the herb, and the smell most definitely transfers. There was nothing sinister or dishonest about it. We just wanted better smelling herb!

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
You should try for Diesel... Or Model Glue. :joint:
I know i have grown weed that if you didn't know any better you would swear i added something to make it taste like it does.. I did.. but its a secret recipe from way back..
I'll let you in on my super secret flavor enhancer its h2o and good genetics they cant be beat...

C

cannagirl

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tripsick again.

A+++

Oh by the way I love your super secret flavor enhancer!

bobman

ok, this is day six of the dry and i want to give an update. The smell is returning. It is not overpowering and it smells like nothing else I have grown. It smells like a floral perfume or some sort of floral cleaner. Very chemical and very floral like and yes they were flushed for 3 weeks. Its very weird but the bud I kept on the plant is returning while buds I clipped off the plants are not turning back yet. I would have thought it would be the other way around. Anybody have any thought on that?

RetroGrow

Veteran
ok, this is day six of the dry and i want to give an update. The smell is returning. It is not overpowering and it smells like nothing else I have grown. It smells like a floral perfume or some sort of floral cleaner. Very chemical and very floral like and yes they were flushed for 3 weeks. Its very weird but the bud I kept on the plant is returning while buds I clipped off the plants are not turning back yet. I would have thought it would be the other way around. Anybody have any thought on that?

Because the bud still on the plant draws moisture from the stems, and thus dries/cures more slowly.

bobman

yea but its the other way around with these. The ones I left on the plant smell much better than the ones I have taken off. moisture content is about equal.

bobman

I have read it should not make a difference but it seems to be making a difference. overall the buds I left on look much better and smell much better. I have seen a few disagreements on this before.

V

venturablaze

next grow just add kool aid to the rez, makes the bud smell like it.