What's new

Actual-Cost Of Production

• Total voters
Greetings fellow Earthlings. After reading around, and finding a few similar threads, I am curious as to YOUR actual A-COP, Actual Cost Of Production.

I would do this as a pole, but dont know what a good question would be >>> or what three>> four good answers would be!
:blowbubbles: found how to poll!

Miscellaneous Options
Allow multiple choice: YES
Give users the ability to select more than one answer:YES
Make votes public:YES
Displays all users who voted, and what choice they voted for:YES

ANYBODIES math is acceptable :dance013:

?over/under? UN-believables?:artist: I think your name/avatar may speak for itself here :laughing::moon:

If you do-not agree with what another has posted, so what? This is about averages, massive, national, maybe international averages.

Feel free to post as much or as little A-RIGI, Actual-Real Intimate Grow Information.

it still comes down to (?)x(?)x(?)x(?)x....

:thank you:

I recently built a 'discreet' grow box with a 'planed' production of 20-30 grams, 3/4 to one oz, per week, to start... :chin: :shucks: :peek: :whistling: :jerkit:

Even with new energy rulings in my area I am projecting a bump in my power bill of approximately $75.00 USD month

Ongoing cost are: ( i'll put real world numbers here when I get more hard numbers!)

MY TIME/YOUR TIME... Local/ standard/ prevailing? Minimum wage? charity stipend of $5.00 USD per hour of actual work. Rounded up to 1/4 hour?
Fertilizers and additives and preventatives.
Kilowatts
EVERYTHING ELSE:>>>

Even if I had bought everything NEW I wouldn't even have $500.00 USD invested.

Math is not my strong point, but I know there are some very smart people on here that do the math daily for their own production standards.

Maybe the more high tech the grow is the higher the A-COP?

Is (?) there a 'stander measurement' we can all use? or three?

GPW= Grams per watt, GPSf= Grams Per Square-foot ...TKS= Time X Kilowatt X Square-footage...

Please, play nice, love your neighbor and be kind.

:tiphat:

:wave:

:ying:

/EDIT/
I have to look at the question at least two ways:

The local pot head who has made a living off selling weed-For-Ever, may not care what YOU or I think of his Actual-Cost Of Production, but may not want his fellow stoner-pot-heads to know.

Cash Croppers: BIG FUCKING MONEY, wether it is in a quasi Legal state or not. How many Medically eligible persons would FREAK the fuck out if they found out how CHEAPLY they could grow their own, or form a Quasi legal Collective to do it with them?

This will NOT be a popular thread for those reasons. The ones in the know, making coin, making poundage, will not give their info out, would the CCC's even bother...

Must be up to us providing our own health care to come up with some SWAG numbers: Some Wild Ass Guess

There are many of us that are finding out that there are inexpensive ways of procuring Medicinal Cannabis.

/EDIT/

Stay cool, stay safe.

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You will get answers all over the spectrum. I reckon it costs me about a grand per pound of of fine nuggets, and I also get a bunch of leaf and trim to deal with that has no dollar value. That is costs, no labor or marketing costs in there.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
the problem with calculating this is you could go top of the line indoor hydro paying full electricity rates in some expensive suburb, OR you could have acres of already owned land, no rent payments (minus taxes on the land, minimal), and grow far more actual end product for far less time/money.

you can make a gram cost a cent to produce, or cost nearly $5 to produce.

the variables are so great that the true cost of production is an unreliable way to go about measuring "cost".

just like there are coffee shops that charge $5 a latte, McDonalds uses similar ingredients and charges less, they may or may not have higher margins.

What the end result I think most people are looking for, is end product value.

you are paid for your harvest, not the actual work you did to get it. Just like the farmer at the farmers market.

When you pay $5 a pound for heirloom tomatoes, you are paying for the farmers water, nutrients, time, effort etc., not what that individual tomato itself cost to produce.

By growing tomatoes (for instance) in huge outdoor fields, you could sell them at $2 a pound and still make a nice profit, whereas if you grew them indoors under HIDs with C02 and hydro, sure you might crop more product, however you also increase your overhead 10 fold., thus leading to higher end prices for the consumer, AND a reduced income for the grower seeing as how you now have to pay for all this other stuff.

cost of production could be Ford price or Ferrari price each one separately being capable of producing Ford quality or Ferrari quality. End product value is the price that matters.

You will get answers all over the spectrum..

I am so SO expecting that! It is kinda like math-ing out building cost, regular maintenance, deferred maintenance and depreciations... can be mind boggling. I know that ^^that example^^, for example, isnt much more than witchy-math-craft for the money changers.

If I may ask, Haps, if you're thinking your poundage cost is aK... ///what, in theory, could you get to a dispensary ... or out your own door... in theory...?///
/edit/ strike that last, I would love to know, but that aint the thread question...:dance: /edit/

Last edited:
G

good drown

leaf and trim can be made to bho, which will be way stronger than your buds. if you have a decent grow, you can pretty much just live off bho, and sell the rest, if thats your thing

cost of production could be Ford price or Ferrari price each one separately being capable of producing Ford quality or Ferrari quality. End product value is the price that matters.

Hi Zen Master. Thats why no -dis-believables :dance013:

What are YOUR actual cost per... what-ever? Just as gasoline cost an arm and a leg in Europe per Litter, that just means their ACTUAL cost are just another ad-in for the averages.

This isnt about start-up costs, but I would LOVE to see some stuff on THAT subject, just about Joe Smoe, Joes Farm-stand and Joe Smoe International Inc A-Cost Of Production

leaf and trim can be made to bho, which will be way stronger than your buds. if you have a decent grow, you can pretty much just live off bho, and sell the rest, if thats your thing

Morning, good drown!

... Yes, AND how much did it cost in hard money to produce that grow/product/production-run?

In a real world we could also factor in such things as marketables for Hemp products. There has got to be a use/market for the 'byproducts' o f Cannabis, as it is being grown and provided in the quasi/Legal states.

How much inner-core ( ever heard of the De-cork-en-ator? I HATE spelling as much as I hate math!) is produced in the USA alone in it ### billion dollar under ground industries?

How many tons of Cannabis Inner Core would be needed to absorb that thing we are referring to as the Gulf Oil Spill?

Cannabis Core is VERY absorbant, renewable and sustainable.... :chin:

If my costs where such that $100.00USD an Oz/$1,600.00USD @ pound things would be a lot, A LOT deferent than if my ... sale was $100.00USD... See?

Other than a bag full of Swag Weed Seed, my costs are little when I grow on the hillside at Uncle Bucks Farm... Just 'handeling' charges.

If I trade my pound in at the local dispensary, for, say, $100.00 USD and in turn they trade it off at, what could work out to, at $55.00USD @ gram... $1567.50 an ounce... ( wether that is RIGHT, morally right, or WRONG, morally wrong, is not the point. My Littel SHop Of Horrors A-COP are so very low, I need very little in compensation. As a large Dispensary, I need staff, square footage rental, SECURITY, Legal Staff On Call and all the rest.

Does that make my #3.50USD a gram any better or different that the $55.00 a gram at the candies store costs any different ?

Is my willingness to 'volunteer' my time and be given a stipend of $##.## any different than a for-profit model of paying ... prevailing wage to workers/producers?

Im am still wondering...

G

good drown

goo'day
well outdoor vs indoor, medical vs non medical states has something to do with it as well. what is the risk worth?
to set up a small 1200w flower and a 400w veg room would cost around $1500. you can then produce 2-3 pounds every couple of months. power will cost around 100-150 a month. then you can bho or bubblebag all your trim for personal smoke.

2Lazy

Take the cost of multi-use equipment, lights, ventilation, some nutrients, etc. and divide by the number of grows the equipment has been used for to get M
Take the cost of the one-time use equipment, nutrients, media, planters etc. N
Figure out the total amount of KWH used and calculate power costs. P
Figure out the total amount of water used and calculate water costs. W
Use sqft to determine cost of space by rent or mortgage. S
Calculate wages or time spent and establish a monetary compensation value for time T

(M+N+P+W+S+T)/grams gives a $ per g

I think most growers should aim for $7 to $10 per gram in their first grow with a system, and then watch that number decrease into the $1 to $3 range as the equipment gets more use and the grower becomes more efficient.

goo'day
well outdoor vs indoor, medical vs non medical states has something to do with it as well. what is the risk worth?

Goo'day good brown

Indoors will be way different than out doors. And, since we are NOT talking about selling price or start up costs, it all still comes down to Actual-Cost Of Production.

I have to look at the question at least two ways:

The local pot head who has made a living off selling weed-For-Ever, may not care what YOU or I think of his Actual-Cost Of Production, but may not want his fellow stoner-pot-heads to know.

Cash Croppers: BIG FUCKING MONEY, wether it is in a quasi Legal state or not. How many Medically eligible persons would FREAK the fuck out if they found out how CHEAPLY they could grow their own, or form a Quasi legal Collective to do it with them?

This will NOT be a popular thread for those reasons. The ones in the know, making coin, making poundage, will not give their info out.

Must be up to us providing our own health care to come up with some SWAG numbers: Some Wild Ass Guess

Washington State is not a Dispensary state. There are those of us, Medically qualified, that have been talking about fair trade issues, income limits with SSD/SSI and and non-profit/not-for-profit status.

What do you do with a a small tribe of-over fifty y.o.-disabled people with spending power, finical backing, social contacts and hard-line experience with Massive Bureaucratic Bullshit-Machines i.e. Social Security, Labor and Industries, local Department of Social and Health Services and, in most cases, hands on Business experience... quasi legal and not?

There are many of us that are finding out that there are inexpensive ways of procuring Medicinal Cannabis.

Any input on Actual-Cost Of Production?

anybody?

:ying:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You seem to be looking for a certain answer, and you display animosity at the idea of a grower making a profit. Like we would not share knowledge, but of course that is what this world is about. What is your agenda?

You can grow weed for a hundred dollars a pound or two thousand, and anything inbetween. Real estate, utilities, capital costs, processing costs, marketing costs all have to be figured in or you are just playing a kid's game, in the real world you count all those costs.

Yes, it can be profitable, but it can also cost you your liberty or your life, and that is real.
H

bobcat1963

Parker Schnobel
Veteran
The ability to be self sustained to me is priceless.I grow and smoke the strains that I want and there is never a dry spell or I run out.Apparently in my neck of the woods right now no one can find anything,and I just agree that it sucks and go back to my grow,them being none the wiser.:):)

You seem to be looking for a certain answer, and you display animosity at the idea of a grower making a profit. Like we would not share knowledge, but of course that is what this world is about. What is your agenda?

Yes, it can be profitable, but it can also cost you your liberty or your life, and that is real.
H

Hey H
No agenda, just a simple question that is getting complicated. I can gold plate my $50.00 WalMArt acoustic guitar but that dotn mean its worth anything.

Yes, there is a time and a place to ad in all the costs.

But, to clarify: growing indoors, what are the actual costs?

I guess if you want to give a hypothetic real world amount you could add up the monthly receipts for EVERYTHING, mortgage, Lease, Insurance and EVERYTHING... and come up with a solid number, per, gram, once, pound, kilo whatever works.

I know that if I was going in for a business loan, the second question would be monthly expenses. The FIRST being start up costs.

Or, maybe I should have used a something other than 'A-COP'?

We have had one answer so far: $1,000.00 a pound.

YOUR profit means nothing to me. Give or Gouge, your life.

With no hard numbers it 'will' cast me about about $100.00 a pound... at a guess. And it will take a month. Could I charge for that? Could I cut my costs and increase my yield?

Can I duplicate 'my' grow, turnkey, and pass the saving on to others...

Or, just spend $1,600.00 for a pound or buy my ounces for $3-400.00?

What, Hap, is your cost? Sceard? :blowbubbles:

All in fun, no evil agenda. Like the sign says: entertainment and informational only.:wave:

Growing a pound outside for $100 doesnt count. Or growing a pound of strawberries for $ 100.

You asked for no disbelievables and then try to say you can produce a lb for 100? Maybe. I seriously doubt it but maybe. But what happens then when you get the borg? $100 dollar bag of shit thats what. Like any other profession there is much, much more involved than just production equals profit. Are you an underwear gnome? Personally, considering the debt carried to get where we are, myself and my wife make the equivalent of about $10 dollars an hour or so. Together. I love it, and it will get better, but please dont confuse growing at a commercial level with that of a hobbyist.

Hello,

I have seen threads before where someone factors in bacon. Would this change your equations? Could the results be established on a "per rasher" basis?

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you cant put a cost on safetey/security/freedom... REMEMBER THAT FOLKS ... even in so-called 'med states' you are not really safe from prosecution & raids - you may not end up getting jail time but they will still fuck with your shit and turn your world upside down!!!

there is no general consensus on what that (freedom!) factors into final production costs becasue everyone may have different values of what their freedoms are worth.

this is a lot like that thread the super squid geneticsgonemad started btw... hot topic for sure.
are you A-COP???

Growing a pound outside for $100 doesnt count. Or growing a pound of strawberries for $ 100.

You asked for no disbelievables and then try to say you can produce a lb for 100? Maybe. I seriously doubt it but maybe. But what happens then when you get the borg? $100 dollar bag of shit thats what. Like any other profession there is much, much more involved than just production equals profit. Are you an underwear gnome? Personally, considering the debt carried to get where we are, myself and my wife make the equivalent of about $10 dollars an hour or so. Together. I love it, and it will get better, but please dont confuse growing at a commercial level with that of a hobbyist.

I LOVE Montana! Hey MOr, More -Organics!

I am SUCH a cheep skate. Even though I have acquired over time, and times, $4-5000.00 in grow-stuff, everything I have put together recently didn't even cost new, off the shelf, more than $500.00USD

But, teh question isnt how much to spend to get started. I NEVER would have started if I would have known how much it would eventually cost me!

( and I miss spoke earlier! sorry, it should only cost me about $400.00 a pound ... and it would taek a month. My littel box may be ramped/duplicated up to produce a pound a week :YaRight: BUT was built and designed for one OUNCE a week... at a cost of about $100.00 , sorry, I get lost in my own threads!)

If I had to harvest and trim 100 pounds, it will cost me WAY less, per pound, than if I only have to trim a pound... but it still cost me.

That is why I asked the question:

What are YOUR actual cost of production?

Nor your profit, not your start up cost.

If find it hard to believe that there is no way to plug in a formula to get that.

Heck, NIKI counts their employee movement/time to the 1000th of a sec... and are only paying them $3.00 an hour!

But, back to trimming...
\
If a pay a trimmer $50.00USD an hour, do I count my time at teh same rate when I trim?

If you, montanaorganics, and the wifey 'only' pay yourself at a minimal hour rate, is that counted as part of Actual-Cost Of Production or is the minimal pay part of the profit?

So, how much did THAT gram cost you to produce, montanaorganics?

Maybe I didnt ask the question in the right way...
It is not a profit question, not about start up.... all of that can be amortized over time.
:dance013::thank you::wave:

Last edited:
Hello,

I have seen threads before where someone factors in bacon. Would this change your equations? Could the results be established on a "per rasher" basis?

OK, if you are going to 'factor in' Bacon as part of Actual-Cost Of Production... WHATS THE FUCKING COST per gram, ounce, pound or kilo?

Maybe you need to have produced something first... :blowbubbles:

next

Latest posts

Latest posts