What's new

Ace Seeds Malawi...1st pure sativa grow

Ramsthepharoah

I'll measure later.

I'll measure later.

Look good RTP!! How tall do you think they are? When did you top them?
I have one that's kind of bushy and the other is tall and thinner. Both need topped. If I can make it to this weekend without killing either of them I'll probably do it then.:tiphat:

Thanks!! I topped them once they hit 4 nodes. Just to make sure there would be at least 3 sets of side beaches coming up to bush them up a bit.

Ramsthepharoah

How's it going OT??

How's it going OT??

How are your plants doing?? I been meaning to measure height of my plants. I'll get to it tonight. Bottom side branches are coming up very strong!!

Old Toker

Hey RTH! Measured my tallest Malawi yesterday and it was 18" from the coco. The other is shorter and more bushy. Topped both of them (and the Zams) last night when I fed them. Going to do the GTs and PHs tonight. I want more tops....but not more bushiness. Going to TRY and train them against the vertical screen. After they recover from this topping....I'm going to have to get radical with pruning and training if I have any hope of keeping them away from the light. I've topped and LST'd my outside plants but this will be a real learning experience. Hopefully I won't kill them.

Ramsthepharoah

You won't...

You won't...

Hey RTH! Measured my tallest Malawi yesterday and it was 18" from the coco. The other is shorter and more bushy. Topped both of them (and the Zams) last night when I fed them. Going to do the GTs and PHs tonight. I want more tops....but not more bushiness. Going to TRY and train them against the vertical screen. After they recover from this topping....I'm going to have to get radical with pruning and training if I have any hope of keeping them away from the light. I've topped and LST'd my outside plants but this will be a real learning experience. Hopefully I won't kill them.

You won't bro... it's very hard to kill these plants. They want to grow!!! You're doing great too. All your plants look healthy and well cared for!! Bout to leave the shop now and go measure mine!!

Last edited:

Ramsthepharoah

11" and 10"

11" and 10"

My Malawi #1 which is a broader lead structure and also has a thicker stalk is 11" and my thinner stalked thinner leaves Malawi #2 is 10" from top of soil to top of plant. Very strong side branching and multiple tops trying to form.

Attachments

• IMG_7135.jpg
    IMG_7135.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7136.jpg
    IMG_7136.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7137.jpg
    IMG_7137.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7138.jpg
    IMG_7138.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 11

Old Toker

Your plants look GREAT! Very full. Are you using your phone to take pics? These latest photos turned out very nice....even the ones that are sideways.:biggrin:

Not much has changed with mine except they were topped.
Will post an update tomorrow. :tiphat:

Old Toker

Weekly update. Day 38 from seed. Finally managed to top all of my plants this week. Looks like I'm going to need to top the tall Malawi at least once more. Should have taken more off the first time. Also the GTs and PHs are really starting to get tall.....so they will definitely need to be cut back...again. I'm thinking that it's getting close to the time to switch them over to flowering. Maybe a week.....10 days.....depending on this next topping/pruning. I can't let them get too much taller or they'll be crawling across the ceiling.:)
The bottom of the orange screen is aprox 20" from the floor and I have a total of 79" of headroom from the floor. Really would like to keep them under 25" at flowering.
Hope all is well with you and yours RTH!:tiphat:

Attachments

• 20170219_174942.jpg
    20170219_174942.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 8

Ramsthepharoah

Your plants look GREAT! Very full. Are you using your phone to take pics? These latest photos turned out very nice....even the ones that are sideways.:biggrin:

Not much has changed with mine except they were topped.
Will post an update tomorrow. :tiphat:

Yeah I'm using my phone. I gave up on the sideways thing. As long as the picture quality is good. The viewer can just turn their head.

Ramsthepharoah

Weekly update. Day 38 from seed. Finally managed to top all of my plants this week. Looks like I'm going to need to top the tall Malawi at least once more. Should have taken more off the first time. Also the GTs and PHs are really starting to get tall.....so they will definitely need to be cut back...again. I'm thinking that it's getting close to the time to switch them over to flowering. Maybe a week.....10 days.....depending on this next topping/pruning. I can't let them get too much taller or they'll be crawling across the ceiling.:)
The bottom of the orange screen is aprox 20" from the floor and I have a total of 79" of headroom from the floor. Really would like to keep them under 25" at flowering.
Hope all is well with you and yours RTH!:tiphat:

Seems like it'll be pretty hard to keep them under 25" if you're already at 18". You're going to have to do some serious bending and training. Mine are doing well. Those side branches are coming up fast. Do you have purpling in some of your stems right before they connect to the leaves??

Last edited:

Old Toker

Seems like it'll be pretty hard to keep them under 25" if you're already at 18". You're going to have to do some serious bending and training. Mine are doing well. Those side branches are coming up fast. Do you have purpling in some of your stems right before they connect to the leaves??
Yah.....I'm going to have to flower now.....or get seriously drastic with more topping/training/LST. Just measured the PHs and GTs.....24" from coco. Seems like I can take 6" off (along with almost all the current tops) and wait a couple more weeks to veg.....or switch them over now. I don't mind waiting a few more weeks....just want to avoid them getting too bushy. They are already filling up the walls. Fortunately they are now feeding daily.....so they should be able to handle the trauma of a serious pruning. I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Checked my Malawis and one does have some purpling on a few of the top stems....before the leaves. :tiphat:

Edit: OK.....decided to quit whining and just cut them back to a reasonable height. They're all now within a couple of inches of each others height. So I have at least another week. Wish I knew for certain how much they are going to stretch. I know the rule of thumb is 2x-3x....with sativas on the high side. Wonder if I can grow them on the ceiling with a vertical grow? They should get enough light. Hopefully I won't need to find out.:)

Last edited:

Ramsthepharoah

More toping = more bushy

More toping = more bushy

The more you top them the bushier they'll be. You could too and put straight into flower. They'll still stretch the first 2 1/2 weeks or so but the fact that you topped them will slow the stretching a bit. And along with bending and training, i think you will be okay. If you wait to flower though, then you'll probably have height issues.

Latest posts

Latest posts