What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Its been awhile since my last post, time to spam my own thread.

Purple Haze

So if you look back a bit, I very aggressively topped a whole bunch of purple OTH and some went inside and some were tossed outside. The ones that were inside turned out alright, but after seeing what hazes can do in the southern California sun, I don't know if I can do pure hazes inside anymore. Here's why:

View Image

View Image

Thats not camera trickery or pics of the best bud on the plant, here's a 22oz beer and a pool table for scale:

View Image

Topping hazes multiple times is definitely the way to go. They will hate you for it in the beginning, but after you turn them into about 8-10 primary branches with a nice even canopy, the plant turns into a medium height bush with a huge amount of size. Surprising resistance to cold, mold, mildew, mites - the works! I was expecting to be babying the above pure haze and ended up putting it on drip in a big pot and basically forgetting about it. By contrast, some of the popular lines I was running 2 meters away required almost daily attention when put outside showing mites, mold and mildew.

Absolute show stopper! I’ve got one OTH plant I plan to clone and give a go outdoors this year. Location won’t be full sun. Considering a scrog type set up but looks as if topping accomplished the same thing. Kudos.

Koondense

Veteran
Growing such a haze outdoors is near the top of my bucket list. Truly amazing plants Terpene, nice to see you posting again, lovely content ;)

Cheers

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
So glad to see pics from you Terpene! :tiphat:

Man that OTH is out of this world! And this info comes at the perfect moment, have two (unsexed) going, taking cuts of everything this time.

Selected ones will go outdoors in Summer. I may start flowering her now indoors then bring her outdoors to finish, will depend on the timing.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
All of my cabinets (2 flowering, 1 veg) are air cooled now. Pictures of my coronavirus productivity and or boredom:

2x4 standoffs with aluminum angle which were screwed into the roof of the taller cabinet.
picture.php

White composite panel cut to size pre 2.5" holes drilled for lights.
picture.php

Side profile once installed.
picture.php

All buttoned up.
picture.php

View as the plants see things.
picture.php

If you plan on doing this and dropping your cabinet temps to near as makes no difference to ambient:
  • I would suggest getting something for your panel thats either somewhat or completely clear so you can more easily and accurately mark your bulb centers for the 2.5" hole saw.
  • Use a plywood blade (tiny teeth) on your circular saw for nice smooth cuts.
  • Ask for a composite material that cuts like wood. Plastic and acrylic (my other flowering and veg cab) tend to melt and load up, flinging molten plastic everywhere.

Theorganicguy

I finally found the time to read the whole thread and all I can say is WOW!! What an avalanche of tips, tricks and resin :biggrin:
My deepest respect for willing to grow so many tropical strains in such a small setting and, of course, for making a terrific job with them!
Out of curiosity, how would you compare pure Lebanese with your Leg x(Purple Zamal x NJ) cross from post #290? I'd love to see some a couple dry shot if they're still around or hear a smoke report :)

Keep it up, Terpene :tiphat:

Terpene

Veteran
Out of curiosity, how would you compare pure Lebanese with your Leg x(Purple Zamal x NJ) cross from post #290? I'd love to see some a couple dry shot if they're still around or hear a smoke report :)

The smoke is gone, but the memories remain.

Purple Zamal x NepJam = Somewhat psychedelic and color intensifying (not as intense as Zamaldelica) with a very mellow, smiley, high. NepJam will turn you into Jeff Spicoili from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, so adding an african sativa to it makes it a bit more intense and trippy. Good dried flower appearance, not quite the bag appeal of most modern OGs or Chem crosses, but nice solid buds.

Lebanese x (Purple Zamal x NepJam) = The lebanese made the cross a bit more energetic, but still remarkably positive and relaxed. I will say the dried flowers from this cross looked very 70's era, all-foxtails sativa.

Terpene

Veteran
Boats N Hoes #5 x Panama Honduras S1 at chop. So thats a hell of a kitchen sink, ready:
(Panama x [Thai x Malawi x Zamal]) x

([Grape Romulan x Xena Goo] x [Platinum OG Kush x Forum Girl Scout Cookies]) x

(Panama x Purple Pheno of Honduras)

BnH #5 leaned toward Zamaldelica, Panama and Platinum OG with hints of Romulan.

picture.php

one of the 15w leds that it was grown under.

picture.php

main cola

picture.php

side branch

picture.php

whole plant

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome back Terpene! :)

Thanks A LOT for your feedback on your pure sativa harvest from last season, both Purple Oldtimer's Haze and the Purple Honduras Haze look exceptionally good, probably the best pictures we have seen of both up to date, hope they smoke as good as they look.

The MAC is a looker. I wonder what would happen if you had the chance to pollinate the purple pure sativas from last season with that MAC reversed :D

Looks like Panama Goddess shines through the genepool of your polyhybrid from your last post. I think you will also like a lot the Oaxaca x Panama.

A pleasure to have you here again friend :tiphat:

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks Dubi! The chance to run the pure Honduras was very much appreciated!

I didn't realize that I spaced putting my review of the Honduras smoke on this thread:
The Honduras smoke is very similar to Ace Purple Haze phenos or highland Colombians mixed with Panamanian. Its possibly the kindest effect I've ever had: very positive, social, comfortable, clear but dreamy, a little bit disorienting and has no ceiling. You're having such a good time you want to smoke more and you tend to not realize you're already stoned as hell. You could sum it up best by telling someone they'll be saying "Whaaaaa?" a lot. :D Despite the difference in bud structure, both plants have (near as makes no difference to) the same effects with the stretchier one being slightly more fragrant and haze-like. I've only had this one in a jar for a couple days and its already a house favorite.

View Image
The Ethiopian x Mauritius have been transplanted to 3L pots and show sex very early (roughly 25-30cm or so). Of the four plants, 3 have shown female and 1 is male. Within the kept 3 females, there are two Ethiopian leaning plants (left / center) and a Mauritius leaning plant (right). It has been VERY easy to tell the Ethiopian influence from the Mauritius influence! Ethiopian's (somewhat fermented) lemons smell and open, airy structure is very different than mauritius leaning plants which are somewhat similar to Malawi - rotting forest floor, dank, somewhat rude smelling plants with shorter internodal space / denser growth habit.

View Image
The Zamaldelica x Ethiopian trio continues to stretch in flower, though I believe at 4.5 weeks, we're nearing the end of vertical growth. The tallest plant (mango citric zamaldelica leaning) is exactly 2m from the floor and was brush pollinated with the ethiopian male for personal F2s. The other two are at 3.5 weeks and are still adding bud sites and stretching to catch up to their slightly older sister. As you can see, if I decide to keep running untopped plants, I will need to rethink my mylar situation. I will probably drop the mirrored mylar for the patterned mylar to make things easier to see.
View Image

Great report Terpene, I’ve been curious about Honduras smoke reports. Thanks for posting this :thank you:

Terpene

Veteran
Thanks A LOT for your feedback on your pure sativa harvest from last season, both Purple Oldtimer's Haze and the Purple Honduras Haze look exceptionally good, probably the best pictures we have seen of both up to date, hope they smoke as good as they look.

The MAC is a looker. I wonder what would happen if you had the chance to pollinate the purple pure sativas from last season with that MAC reversed

Looks like Panama Goddess shines through the genepool of your polyhybrid from your last post. I think you will also like a lot the Oaxaca x Panama.

Hi friend! Those Purple Haze x Honduras were 4.5 meters tall and required a ladder to tend them. It was awesome to feel little standing next to them.

The MAC1 (miracle x alien cookies) is one of the frostier and more colorful creations floating around southern California at the moment. Smoke is somewhat giggly, a hybrid high that reminds most of their first time they were really (somewhat generically) stoned. I didn't do anything special there, just ran the clone I was handed and killed it. Honestly, I am a little meh on cookies lines - despite them all being pretty solid. They all have similar terpene profiles, similar highs, lower yields, etc. I guess I've never really been one for the hype strains that float on the commercial market.

You're right about Boats N Hoes #5 x Honduras Panama. The double Panama influence (BNH is Panama Zamaldelica on one side) really shows through in bud size, shape, flavor, etc. Honestly, Boats N Hoes #5 x Honduras Panama is better than Boats N Hoes on its own. Its higher yielding than just about everything, the terpenes get even more complex, shows strong environmental / pest resilience and the high is more kind, less "omg Im high" and more "damn, this is fun."

The Oaxacan Panama came down at the same time as the BNH#5 x Panama Honduras. It yields well, smells great, is super pleasant in effects - and you're right, is a very nice all around central american hybrid. :tiphat:

To give you an idea of how much that BNH S1 yields..... BNH PanHon top, OaxPan bottom. Both plants sat right next to each other and saw the same amount of soil, light, water, etc.
picture.php

Great report Terpene, I’ve been curious about Honduras smoke reports. Thanks for posting this :thank you:

You're welcome. Word of advice on Honduras - If outdoor, I would suggest running Honduras under a covering - hoop house, tent, under an eave, etc. Honduras's humongous, somewhat foxtaily bud structure (at least in my experience) tends to suffer bud rot issues if you let it stay outside in any amount of rain.

Dubi's crossed it to Purple Haze and also Panama (and probably others by now) - both crosses tend to fair better in wetter weather. Panama x Honduras is my favorite smoke. Purple Haze x Honduras is probably second. Both produce like it's their job, both are colorful, both are super pest and mold resistant, there are no downsides.:tiphat:

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi friend! Those Purple Haze x Honduras were 4.5 meters tall and required a ladder to tend them. It was awesome to feel little standing next to them.

The MAC1 (miracle x alien cookies) is one of the frostier and more colorful creations floating around southern California at the moment. Smoke is somewhat giggly, a hybrid high that reminds most of their first time they were really (somewhat generically) stoned. I didn't do anything special there, just ran the clone I was handed and killed it. Honestly, I am a little meh on cookies lines - despite them all being pretty solid. They all have similar terpene profiles, similar highs, lower yields, etc. I guess I've never really been one for the hype strains that float on the commercial market.

You're right about Boats N Hoes #5 x Honduras Panama. The double Panama influence (BNH is Panama Zamaldelica on one side) really shows through in bud size, shape, flavor, etc. Honestly, Boats N Hoes #5 x Honduras Panama is better than Boats N Hoes on its own. Its higher yielding than just about everything, the terpenes get even more complex, shows strong environmental / pest resilience and the high is more kind, less "omg Im high" and more "damn, this is fun."

The Oaxacan Panama came down at the same time as the BNH#5 x Panama Honduras. It yields well, smells great, is super pleasant in effects - and you're right, is a very nice all around central american hybrid. :tiphat:

To give you an idea of how much that BNH S1 yields..... BNH PanHon top, OaxPan bottom. Both plants sat right next to each other and saw the same amount of soil, light, water, etc.
View Image

You're welcome. Word of advice on Honduras - If outdoor, I would suggest running Honduras under a covering - hoop house, tent, under an eave, etc. Honduras's humongous, somewhat foxtaily bud structure (at least in my experience) tends to suffer bud rot issues if you let it stay outside in any amount of rain.

Dubi's crossed it to Purple Haze and also Panama (and probably others by now) - both crosses tend to fair better in wetter weather. Panama x Honduras is my favorite smoke. Purple Haze x Honduras is probably second. Both produce like it's their job, both are colorful, both are super pest and mold resistant, there are no downsides.:tiphat:

Thanks for the info. I did pick up a pack of the Purple Honduras Haze, I simply had too. Those descriptions sound phenomenal. Also the purple Malawi Haze and Honduras Breeze, although I have a ton of ACE’s gear.

I’m an indoor grower for now, hoping to have that change by next year. Not sure I’m ready to attempt to tame that beast inside with only 50” of height to work with though so Ill probably focus on some of their other offerings, but I may get crazy and give it a shot. :laughing:

I’m going to have to read through this thread, from the beginning. Looks like a good one.

***EDITED****. I went back and just got done reading this entire thread start to finish. My gawd man. Props. All I can say. :tiphat:

Terpene

Veteran
As summer approaches in southern CA, I have turned my attention toward ventilating my cabinets more effectively. I had tons of exhaust through my cool tube LED panels, but very little intake. This was causing air to get stagnant and warmer than ambient. After visiting the ventilation 101 thread in ICMag, I found that increasing my intake opening surface area to 1.5-2x my exhaust solved the problem entirely.

In flower, I have three lines running currently:

OG Kush x Brandywine from a friend
picture.php

Riot Seeds Bubbleberry (90's bubblegum x blueberry pheno) which have been heavily seeded by my favorite male for f2s
picture.php

Ace Bangi Haze x Ethiopian, which you'll notice is dying back very early in flower - its been pollinated by the same male Bubbleberry. I'm going for quick flowering with strong color, even greater indoor adaptability and stronger terpenes.
picture.php

In veg I have a bunch of Boats N Hoes x Panama Honduras S1 - and a couple watermelons in the top left for my veggie gardens. You can see the plants on the left side are more lanky with sativa looking leaves compared to the plants on the right which are more traditional hybrid.
picture.php

I also entered Boats N Hoes in the southern California farmer's cup (my first official competition). They tell me that I am the only person in the home grower category whos entering flowers that are 1) from seed and 2) their own cross. It will be very interesting to me how BNH stacks up against elite clone-only commercial hybrids - especially with judges who are unfamiliar with landraces.

Terpene

Veteran
Its been a while since I stopped in.

Indoor first:

Bangi Ethiopian

ethio side flowering away:
picture.php

bangi side very beaned up with blueberry x bubblegum:
picture.php

Boats N Hoes x Panama Honduras

whole cab, 3 plant scrog with the bushier phenos:
picture.php

closeup:
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
Outside:

Boats N Hoes x Panama Honduras

the stretchy phenos went outside and are sitting in 37L on drip, still very much in veg mode.
picture.php

picture.php

Ken's Granddaddy Purple x Forum Cookies

About 10 days into flower from the look of her. Shes in a 110L gallon SIP also on drip and about 3m tall off the top of the pot. This is the same setup as last year's 4-5m haze hybrids.

picture.php