What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

About to harvest 2.5 pound, questions about ventilation (PICTURES)

Mr.Gabz

Hello, first grow here.

I'm about to harvest what I expect to be 2.5 pound out of 5 plants and I'm scared about the smell.

I have a 4x8 tent with carbon filter, blower and no intake except a hole in the tent on top.

I'm currently studying building maintenance profession and we learned that to keep a smell in an area, you need a negative pressure inside or the smell will sneak through micro holes through the floor and infiltrate other rooms.

So my grow room is pressurized and I keep a crack open to let cool air inside (It's winter in Canada)
Which, I think should suck air out since the grow room, outside the tent, should have a higher pressure than the outside (I see curtains being sucked outside automatically when I open the window more.

I think I might be fine, but I'm not sure and need help. Here are some pictures of where I am at now.

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Cut small amounts at a time. Trim in a draft that leads to the window.

Do it at night if that helps.

Put a big slow cooker of cabbage (collard greens are stinkier. Bleah!) right before the window, if you're worried about smell outside. :)

Keep it Clean! :D

Mr.Gabz

I saw on the internet that hiding the smell with anything like febreeze or a car freshner or another smell won't give a real cover since the smell is still there.

It will smell febreeze where you are, but since cannabis is a strong smell, it will smell bad further, or in the neighbors appartment, which is what I'm worried about.

You guys never got caught by neighbors while drying and curing?

Mr.Gabz

I closed the intake hole and now there is only my outtake blower running, which creates a big negative pressure that keeps everything inside the tent, making it impossible to escape.
Fresh air comes from all the zipper holes and don't worry, there is still breathable air inside, smell disapeared.

But anyway I talked to my neighbor and she said she never smelled weed or noise, I also learned that we are 4 out of 5 appartments of weed smokers. I also come from a province in Canada where cannabis laws are not a big deal. Everyone smoke and no one cares. I'm good.

TheCleanGame

Veteran
I saw on the internet that hiding the smell with anything like febreeze or a car freshner or another smell won't give a real cover since the smell is still there.

It will smell febreeze where you are, but since cannabis is a strong smell, it will smell bad further, or in the neighbors appartment, which is what I'm worried about.

I lived in a "Zero Tolerance" (1yr for a seed on the floor of a rental car, type tolerance) state when I began growing over a decade ago. Trimming was done next to the carbon scrubber... everything was odor scrubbed.

Only time I had a problem was when the odor scrubber came apart without being noticed. Almost got pinched on that one but it wasn't during harvest... just lots of staaaaank from the 50w hps mum/clone chamber.

I lived in a "Zero Tolerance" (1yr for a seed on the floor of a rental car, type tolerance) state when I began growing over a decade ago. Trimming was done next to the carbon scrubber... everything was odor scrubbed.

Only time I had a problem was when the odor scrubber came apart without being noticed. Almost got pinched on that one but it wasn't during harvest... just lots of staaaaank from the 50w hps mum/clone chamber.

I ignored the rule about not using the same carbon for more than a year, and ran a bunch of sour & cheezle........ after that chop I shut down shop & moved on, SOMEBODY in the neighborhood must have known....

RoadRash

It helps if the exhaust air for all that dank wonderful smell is highly in-accessible, e.g. somewhere where only a pigeon or a window washer could smell it.

Some farm supply places sell bags of nuts - brazil nuts, almonds, pecans - for farm animals. A lot of the nuts are broken but it's about 1/5 the cost of the supermarket. And, the nuts are raw.

So, I bake them, and that fills the entire abode with a wonderful sweet non-dank non-cannabis smell.

Plus it's good cheap healthy snack food !

I've also used Pesto mix for smell control. It FILLS the place with the smell of garlic etc.

Christmas trees, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, ozone gens are unhealthy but still dope ! Scrubbers are noisey and they burn energy (if your into conservation). I hate having to do that whole deal with the spices though. Next run may scrub....

Latest posts

Latest posts