What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AARRGGHH, Cloud/Wax, what the hell is causing it?

Dab Strudel

? If you have light yellow/blonde slabs and its rich interps it wont harden as much. Your "longer purge time" is just eating up your terps, which make it so it will harden more. But again, your sacrificing terps. But if your on the darker stuff, the older it is, the less hard it will be able to be. but this time longer purges make it less hard as well due to the already lack of hardening agents. Im not by any means the one to listen to, but maybe it will get heads to correct whats not.

Pull a vac on your columns before you freeze them and don't purge over 105, also avoid hitting full vac in your oven too.

Strongly agree Steve and Strudel, either pull a vac or replace the air with nitrogen or co2.

Cold purge live resin extractions have tons of terps and therefore never turn out as shatter

touringfunkband

Are you guys purging on parchment or PTFE? I adjust my temps depending on the strain, but once I started lowering the temps in my oven and using PTFE instead of parchment my buddering issues when away..

BigJohnny

The batch I referred to earlier is still in the ovens, but it's been on a timer doing 8 hour stints under just heat to get the bubbles to surface.

Otherwise it's been at 100F, and a grand total of 32 hours after today, and still there is no cloud to be seen, so in that regard I'm pretty happy so far.

Much of what we're running doesn't have many terps anyway and the people consuming it don't seem to mind so that isn't much of an issue right now.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Avoid hitting a full vac? :laughing:

I never vac my oil past -29.5" Hg as I believe a deeper vac stress the terpene matrix and leads to eventual waxing up.

If you've babied your oil every other way why not give it a try?

MrSpectre

I live at 2500ft altitude so I can't go past 27.7"HG so that is what my full vac is at. It would just take a lot longer, or a higher temperature to achieve the same result I feel. In my personal experience the trick to getting a successful crystallization is a multitude of unknown variables but I have found moisture, terpene saturation and temperature to be key to my extraction process when creating "shatter".

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I live at 2500ft altitude so I can't go past 27.7"HG so that is what my full vac is at. It would just take a lot longer, or a higher temperature to achieve the same result I feel. In my personal experience the trick to getting a successful crystallization is a multitude of unknown variables but I have found moisture, terpene saturation and temperature to be key to my extraction process when creating "shatter".

You can still pull -29.9" Hg at elevations above sea level, but your dial gauge doesn't read it correctly due to it's Bourdon tube referencing ambient pressure.

"Bourdon tubes measure gauge pressure, relative to ambient atmospheric pressure, as opposed to absolute pressure;"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_measurement#Bourdon

I've been trying to correct this false understanding for a couple of years at the concentrate forums, yet it persists, here's an example,

"Vacuum Readings are Dependent on Elevation!! Please note that for every 1000ft of elevation your max vacuum you can achieve is reduced by approximately 1Hg. (Example: 0ft elevation = 29.92inHg, Denver, CO 5000ft Elevation = 24.82)"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Gallon-Va...218?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41922a03a2

I've contacted BVV twice about it already... that's his revised statement that still is confusing.

MrSpectre

Wow, I had never thought about it that way! Time to figure out a way to retrofit a digital gauge in my AI oven perhaps? I'm assuming a non mechanical gauge would fix this?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, I had never thought about it that way! Time to figure out a way to retrofit a digital gauge in my AI oven perhaps? I'm assuming a non mechanical gauge would fix this?

Your dial gauges will be adequate if you calibrate them using a micron meter. I use a Yellow Jacket 69075, Sunfire bashed out micron meters in this thread, good read imo,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301614

I really dislike recommending to everyone that they lay out several hundred dollars for an instrument they're only going to use occasionally, and came up with a method for calibration using the boiling points of water under degrees of vacuum, but so many don't seem to be able to follow the instructions so I rarely mention it anymore...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5869373&postcount=76

You need to vacuum down slowly, watch for the first rapid bubbling, and valve off immediately.

Latest posts

Latest posts