What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A5 selfed?

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
We need to keep a couple of things in mind regarding Neville’s old NL#5 x Hazes.
They did not come from a good size pool. Neville only got 3 seeds to grow that were worth keeping and ALL these legend strains and clones are based on crosses of two of those plants, Haze A and Haze C.
Breeders like Ace are selecting genes from bigger pools these days. I have the A5 and you know what? a well chosen Panama Haze is better smoke and has more aroma and taste. Tikal has more flavour than S5 or Core cut too.
Not everything they do is up my street, I’m not into the Malawi crosses so much.

taste and smell is all good BUT up to date there isn't anything as powerful as those old strains.

JohnnyChicago

I have the A5 and you know what? a well chosen Panama Haze is better smoke and has more aroma and taste. Tikal has more flavour than S5 or Core cut too.
Not everything they do is up my street, I’m not into the Malawi crosses so much.

Everybody has their own taste.
For me A5 is tastier and incensier than the C5, HPH and Mex Haze of the 90s, all together. And taste and sativa high of S5 and Core cut, are a joke compared to A5. That's like comparing apples and oranges.

But Im speaking of what I had in the 90-00s.
I had a friend who was not able to smell the incense in the A5. For him, it has always been overpriced bad looking weed :biggrin:

Spaventa

Veteran
Everybody has their own taste.
For me A5 is tastier and incensier than the C5, HPH and Mex Haze of the 90s, all together. And taste and sativa high of S5 and Core cut, are a joke compared to A5. That's like comparing apples and oranges.

But Im speaking of what I had in the 90-00s.
I had a friend who was not able to smell the incense in the A5. For him, it has always been overpriced bad looking weed :biggrin:

S5 isn’t a joke compared to anything, the real one that is;) i was harsh saying it was less tasty than Tikal. It’s more subtle, not as sweet, understated but more enchanting and “magical”. It gives off a smell I associate with ancient woodland. The light incense in the background could be muskier but it’s a lovely smoke.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
With the legalisation they all want make quick money and working with sativas isn't quick. What's called legalisation is indeed a cannabis regulation, and under these regulations working with tall long flowering sativas isn't proifitable as working with commercial strains.

Look at the new breeders in the legal states, they don't seem to do much more breeding and testing than the illegal use to do...

This is due to the fact that the indica varieties satisfy both the commercial grower and the connoisseur, the long flowering sativa jut the conosseur...
What I wanted to say is that many more fans could keep / swap the classic and traditional varieties, For example, modern livestock varieties (and vegetables and fruits) are more productive than old ones, yet many enthusiasts breed ancient breeds of chickens, or pigs, or legumes from centuries ago ...

M

Mr D

We need to keep a couple of things in mind regarding Neville’s old NL#5 x Hazes.
They did not come from a good size pool. Neville only got 3 seeds to grow that were worth keeping and ALL these legend strains and clones are based on crosses of two of those plants, Haze A and Haze C.
Breeders like Ace are selecting genes from bigger pools these days. I have the A5 and you know what? a well chosen Panama Haze is better smoke and has more aroma and taste. Tikal has more flavour than S5 or Core cut too.

In the interest of experimenting I plan to see what comes out of crossing the new Killer A5 with Vietnamese Black, Panama and Tikal.

Also not a fan of the Malawi crosses and a big fan of the Panama haze so I found your comments interesting.

Spaventa

Veteran
In the interest of experimenting I plan to see what comes out of crossing the new Killer A5 with Vietnamese Black, Panama and Tikal.

Also not a fan of the Malawi crosses and a big fan of the Panama haze so I found your comments interesting.

Panama Haze has Grails in it I’m convinced. It has more phenotypical variation than I had seeds to find but one day, when I have a place in Spain, I’m going to sweet talk Dubi into a nice bulk discount and search a couple of hundred :)

M

Mr D

It's still far to early to tell, but based on some current homemade crosses I'm running I would probably use a Durban Punch male if I was trying find A5 dominant progeny.

I'm 4 - 5 weeks in to flowering Zamaldelica x Durban Punch and the old Sweet Pink Grapefruit clone X Durban Punch and neither has a single identifiable trait from the Durban Punch. It's almost like I'm flowering clones of the 2 different mothers. Nor did either cross exhibit any real hybrid vigor beyond the mothers.

Yo Sammy

Veteran

Perhaps a small nuance.
Its known that Nevil got the seed batch, out of which both male Hazes A & C came, from SamS.
At the time these seeds were already old so few of them sprouted. He kept 3, Hazes A, B & C.
Hazes A & C being males, B was a female Haze.
The out crosses using both males were found best.
Theses crosses from which the clone onlys A5, C5, AG13, CG13, HPHzA, HPHzC & Nevilles Haze derived, were grown in large enough quantities to select a few extra ordinary phenotypes hence the long kept old cuttings.

You are correct that in the end all these old hybrids contain either 1 of both male Hazes, both of them in the case of Nevilles Haze.
From the gathering of info from various people around the globe Haze A is a Columbian/Mexican dom Haze and Haze C adds most probably Thai, not that this is fully cleared out until present day but Phylos will make a better picture in time, work in progress.

I hear you on the Malawi although it is not over dominating both out crosses. The diversity in pheno's is well spread and the more Haze dom pheno's are spectacular imho, especially in the Super Malawi Haze line.

I consider this line to be the better one overall. The high is more uplifting and you get a better chance of scoring that amazing Haze dom pheno.

Some additional info regarding the future breeding work with the A5 clone.

Killer A5 Haze will be the only commercial available A5 line for the time be.

First and most important is that we will make sure that all involved parties are on the same page regarding future work, if any.

This doesnt mean that further R&D came to a stop.
However, these are long term projects as working with longer flowering parentals always are. Its important to take the time and be patient, rushing things is never an option.

I know dubi is a busy man and he has his hands full atm.
All the best and happy New Year!

JohnnyChicago

S5 isn’t a joke compared to anything, the real one that is;) .

True, but S5 is a fast flowering Haze and the incense trait is not very strong. You really cannot compare it to a real 50% Haze cross, like the A5.
Even Panama Haze you cannot compare. It's 100% sativa, while A5 is not. But it's a great cross for sure, only flowering times seem long.

TheDarkStorm

I think that info is abit jumbled up..nevil got 7 seeds to come up from authentic haze that he said dated back from 1967-1970..he had the female haze wich was the most difficult plant he'd ever seen, wich he chopped down but regretted..then males a and c ..and female b wich wernt as good..an the others he said wernt worth keeping... the very first female and male a are what lent towards the darker powerful old thais...the c male lent more towards the Columbian type.

Koondense

Veteran
Karma just made a batch of A5s1 seeds, they are already circulating and in march should be time for a commercial release. Some of these A5s1 seeds landed in my hands too, could not be happier :)

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Not yet, got the A5 Malawi in early flowering right now, A5 s1 will start after this round ends.

Cheers

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
All very interesting info. Plan to sprout 1 killer A5 and 2 Super Malawi Haze as part of my 2020 selection project. Already have killer Malawi S1, purple haze x Malawi, OTH. Hoping to reveg the green and purple OTH x Thai and also have some SSSDH, Strawberry Diesel and F13’s vegging. I’ve got a small collective of would be outdoor growers for 2020 and want to put 1-4 clones in each of their hands later spring. Hopefully I can report on 10-20 outdoor plants from these selections this year. Perhaps do some crosses (especially interested in F13 x Ace gear). Possibly the SSSDH crossed in as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts