What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Worm Bin Cloner

Greenheart

Veteran
Has anyone else tried?

My first attempt is a black 5 gallon bucket with a 4" perforated pipe running from the bottom to 1/4" from the top in the center. I took a 50 gallon 4 watt aquarium air pump with 2 outlets and ran some air lines into the bucket. I punched hundreds of holes in the airlines and plugged the ends of both lines. I filled the bucket until it reached 6" from the top with worm substrate working the airlines thru the soil as I went. The perforated pipe will act as a worm tower. I have filled it 3/4 with fresh fruit and vegetable material. I have drilled a vent hole to allow pressure to escape. I then taped a bit of disposable face mask material over the hole to keep light and unwanted insects out. In hindsight I should have drilled the hole for the airlines in the bucket instead of the lid. It prevents me from being able to completely detach the lid from the bucket.

For now I am experimenting with 1 clone. I used a foam doughnut leftover from the aero cloner days and drilled a hole in the center. With air being pumped into the bucket I do need to add water every so often. The first clone didn't take so well to it. Now that their new bin is a few weeks old and my worms are thriving the second attempt is going much better. 3 days in and I see my first white bump that looks like new root growth about to start. I'm using a cut plastic 20oz water bottle as a dome and misting 1 or 2 times a day. I have also used some reflectix to shield the main light source so the cut is in indirect shadow instead of intense lighting.

There are many methods to use. Since I love worms and am trying to get into more of a micro setup I thought I would try a 2fer. The subject is "Deadhead". It was purchased from a dispensary. I have no clue if it will be worth the time and resources yet but at this point I'm happy to have a healthy mum allowing me to proceed to a cloning stage.

I wanted to get away from the aero cloner. I don't like the maintenance involved. I didn't have much luck rooting in plain water or vermiculite wicks. In the past I saw cuts, scraps, and seed all try and grow in that top layer of the bin until lack of oxygen and light killed them off so I got inspired for a fun project. I might have gone overboard on the air pump size but it was already on hand and seems to be working.

I might have to build more buckets and try stepping up from worms in pots to wormponics lol!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That's really interesting! I'm having a hard time seeing what you are describing. Can you post a photo so I can see or understand better? Thanks for posting.

goingrey

I mean I have rooted in soil but not with this kind of worm compost tube in it. The nutrient demands of rooting clones aren't too much so it seems unnecessary or is the idea that some kind of rooting hormone is being brewed up in there?

Greenheart

Veteran
Thanks for the interest! It is more about the micro life stimulation to aid in rooting than a need for nutrients.

I'm already doing the vermicomposting. This I hope will allow that space and process to be even more productive. In the past I've used the vermicomposting for soil amendment top dress on indoor beds and worm tea for watering. Once you get a healthy bin going you can pretty much drop cuts into the soil, keep it moist with dim light, and watch it grow.

I'll work on the photos for you CP. I described it in more more detail than really needed. It is a black 5 gallon bucket. I put a worm tower in the center to feed the euro's. A lid with the foam cloner doughnut on top. Then some airlines to keep it from going anaerobic and a hole to release pressure once the lid is sealed on.

A moist environment is beneficial to both the bin and the cloning process. It does appear to initially need a dome over the cut as it won't stay rigid or support it's leaves without one.

Greenheart

Veteran
Thanks for the tip DC. I'll have to try that next time.

@Creeperpark here are a few pics for you to check out.

#1 is the stem starting to root up. This is day 4!
#2 is the bucket with lid off
#3 is the lid with air hoses, clone site, and vent hole with filter taped on.

wormcloner1.png
wormcloner2.png
wormcloner3.png

Last edited:

Greenheart

Veteran
Well I turned the stem to mush in the rubber plug. I used the tip from Douglas.Curtis on the next attempt.

It did well for a few hours then started to wilt. I'm not sure if it was the size of my cut or lack of moisture below in the bin but I panicked and put the dome on. This time I'm not spraying the leaves and shaking the excess water from the dome when I put it in place. The cuts I'm using are about 4-6" in overall length.

I think there is also too much air is getting in the bin from the pump. The worms seem well but the environment is not quite as moist as I want it. I have a smaller pump meant for a 1 gallon tank. I might try running that on the top layer and not burying it in the soil.