What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A World On A String

Madjag

Veteran
picture.php

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Race went wrong....

Race went wrong....

Ran well the first 28 miles....then got bloated stomach sick...leading to a lot of running and vomiting...which led to no fuel or water staying down..in 90-100 (100+ in Noble Canyon) degree temps...for 43 miles. I made the decision to pull the plug then....and take a DNF...as I was not able to eat, drink, or urinate....and going another 57 miles didn't appear to me as being wise.

I got home and was able to eat some ice cream...take a shower..and go to sleep on the floor. I woke up to a burning stomach and dehydration...but did go watch the end of the race...and analyze everything that happened to me and others the day before.

It was a battlefield of casualties. I don't know if more finished or dropped..but it's got to be close to even.

* I'm still poo pooing over it today...although I'm already making gear changes...and setting up my summer training for a string of 100M and 100K races this fall. Time to change things up.

the bitter pill...the other side..when legs are working great...but you just don't have the stomach for it

EDIT: 137 finishers out of 259 starters

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dang...that has to be a bummer,but you'll come back strong im betting for the next few races,humble pie doesnt taste very good...but its filling at least!

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
dang...that has to be a bummer,but you'll come back strong im betting for the next few races,humble pie doesnt taste very good...but its filling at least!

Taking it for what it is. I made some mistakes...should have worn a shirt for part of the day...and should have ran with 60 oz of water instead of only 40. I was running out of water in my sickness. My body was way good....except for the stomach. Getting sick in that kind of heat doesn't give you many breaks.

I ran over 15 miles on very little fuel...some strawberries and watermelon...being swarmed by all kinds of biting flies..calm at times and delirious at others. I was even running well in some sections in those miles...passing people..making up time I lost in an extended aid station stop (trying to get food to stay down for the Noble Canyon climb).....puking running...puking running..

* I could have played the aid station game like I was forced to do during the Chimera 100M. I was nowhere near any cut off times....so I could have just run aid station to aid station...sitting in the station for extended times until my stomach would settle..then running hard to the next aid station and doing the same thing all night long. I would have been far off my normal pace...but I would have finished.

I decided not to play that game...mostly because..it would have absolutely ripped my stomach up. Vomiting...then pouring more salts and sugars back down into the stomach...man...it's painful..and ruins your stomach. I did not want to play that way.

** Because I tend to get sick after 30 miles no matter what the weather...and because I'm running well when I start to bloat...I am starting to believe it's a blood flow issue. Blood being taken from my stomach and going to my legs etc. No blood in the stomach..means slowed down processing of fuel and water. I literally go from running like a star...to a bloated ballon...in a mile..when it happens. Could be I just don't have the stomach for the long distances..or...more likely...I haven't figured a key function out. I can sit for a while...1/2 hr or so..get fuel to stay down...then run well until I start to bloat/vomit again. It's brutal on my mind and stomach..and no fun.

Anyways....I'm over it already. I was up before the sun this morning and ran parts of Noble for 9 miles. My core and legs are sound. There are no issues with my mechanics or my recovery. Back on the horse...

Ordering a vest as well. I'm over anything cinched around my waist. could be another issue all together...concerning my race digestion. I can't run with a loose belt...so it's always cinched tight...which...surely couldn't be helping anything concerning fuel flow

All kinds of shit to go over..and work out. Part of the sport.

The key thing is not to lose the desire to run. I see it a lot though. People get caught up in racing the distances and competing..become obsessed with it and the training...and then get hurt or fall out of grace with running free. It becomes a trap.

I want to never forget why I do this. I love running mountains...and being free of the bullshit...being real

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup,ive had off and on stomach issues with riding,but since i decided to slow back down and not worry about the strava nonsense so much and just get back to riding for the fun of it,its mostly gone away...
had a really good ride yesterday,3 good solid climbs,50 miles,aside from coming home on the frontage road a really nice route...postcard riding for sure...felt really solid on the climbs,got into my zone pretty easily and just steadily cranked them out,even the steep part went by really smoothly,and even better,i totally fanned the youngster on the steepest climb,started out behind him and just wore him down,cracked him about halfway up...always nice to crush someone 30 years younger than you!

anyway,a great ride,one of my favorites,but i have failed on this route before,so to have it go so easily,its like that new door opening,theres not that demon whispering about failure,about how big the climbs are...its just another ride now...

plus,now i can do it at my own pace,one of the guys insanely rode his cargo bike,kudos for toughing it out but i spent lots of time waiting,so now im wondering what my time on my own would be...

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Yo Jericho. I hope life is well.

I don't pop on Icmag much anymore and it doesn't look like you've been active. I miss ya dude. Hope all is well

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The line that brought us together...

A 6' tall Highend F2

picture.php

More pics to come in a few weeks

PPP

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
I have mox mox, hellhound and so many of the others that Jericho played around with. Feel free to PM me if interested in some beans.

Hola broski. Just poppin in to say thx for inspiration... With you among other Great runners in my mind i manage to build up sick stamina.. Atm i did 82 marathon, two in bare feets, 8 ultra run and I just set a world rekord... I just crossed All of denmark on 66 hours in total on 7 days ... A 517 km run from the top of denmark to the buttom of denmark.. Started out monday Morning finished sunday evening ��.. Now im. Planing to do it on 5 to 6 days and maybe a 700 k run.. Its mad but god damn it it awesome.. Smoke weed run free.. A billion thx for helping out pushing the Limits

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Damn this thread is so fucking epic, RIP Jericho Miles and the Pablos, who got some of these seeds stashed? I need to relieve you of them if you're not gonna let them swim XD

bloyd

Veteran
The Pablo's passed? Dude had a way with words and plants and always made me feel lazy with his epic trail run stories. Really bummed to read this.
Rip brother Pablos

Raho

Veteran
The Pablo's passed? Dude had a way with words and plants and always made me feel lazy with his epic trail run stories. Really bummed to read this.
Rip brother Pablos
As far as I know, he's alive and well. Posted on the gram 2 hours ago

bloyd

Veteran
Thanks for the clarification Raho I shed tears thinking about brother Pablos passing too soon. Dude has been a huge inspiration from a far. I envisioned him being the 90 year old crazy dude still running ultras glad to know that is still a possibility.

Raho

Veteran
Thanks for the clarification Raho I shed tears thinking about brother Pablos passing too soon. Dude has been a huge inspiration from a far. I envisioned him being the 90 year old crazy dude still running ultras glad to know that is still a possibility.

Fuck yeah brother.
Pablos is one tough hombre. Got a lot of miles left ahead I hope.