What's new

A word of advice for you guys who have ever thought about moving to a friendly state

G

guest86120975

Speaking from experience, if you are in your early or mid 20's especially...and you live in a draconian state now, and it's ever even crossed your mind to move to Cali or some similar place...JUST GO. Don't fart around, don't worry about getting your stupid ex back, don't worry about being so far from mom and dad...just get up and fuckin go, man. You want to know why? Because if you don't, you're going to end up meeting some chick, fall in love, knock her up......and you'll be stuck where you are once you put down roots. Then you'll be stuck forever in a state that locks people up for 10 years over a personal garden. It'll be tough and lonely at first, depending on your personality. My somewhat introverted self is why I had trouble adapting in California, and I ended up abandoning my new life and now I'm stuck. Fortunately for me, my girl is A-okay with the idea of uprooting and moving to CA, but I'm going to be much older and things will be drastically different than they would have been had I just stayed.

Now see what I have to deal with that I'm older and all my connections have moved on? https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=215741 I have to either go through pure hell (or risk major prison time) just to get some good clean medicine. Don't end up like me.

H

h^2 O

i hear you man, that's my plan. Problem is coming up with the 5 grand or so it would cost to move out there and get a place, etc.

G

guest86120975

If you want 5 grand then bring me a pound of chronic (kidding haha), but I think if you're roughly in your 20's and especially if you could get someone to go along with you then 5 grand would give you a good start even in San Fran...I was staying in a place in the city that cost me $250 a week but included basically everything you could want, plus I didn't really need a car...walked to work, and took the bus wherever else I needed to go.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I'm in my late 20s and will have some dough saved up in a few more harvests to move.

Planning on MI right now, however Cali is tempting and also intimidating. I got nothing holding me down here and I hate this place, there is nothing I like doing here and its hot as balls.

supermanlives

Veteran
come to cali and smoke all you want except for ciggies. might as well smoke a joint instead the fine is about the same

G

guest86120975

I'd never go to Michigan, I'd be happy if I already had roots there, but...the weather...and it's not friendly enough to be worth it. Maybe if you already lived in the midwest and it was close enough to drive back home on a day trip. But, I am looking forward to living maybe in Sonoma County, wine country one day. Hell maybe I'll even go nuts and just move to Mendocino. How I wish I was already there. What you can do there with the blessings of the Sheriff gets your life without parole down here. Christ on a stick.

G

guest86120975

I'd be happy in Oregon too, but I heard if you accidentally go over your limit in Oregon, game over. Maybe someone from OR can chip in?

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I read a news story years ago about a fellow in a rural area that got raided. They found plants and mushrooms and he got a fine, he wasn't even arrested. They just showed up took his plants and shrooms, and issued him a summons or something like that.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
dont you have to be a cali citizen to get a med card and then grow and sell to dispensarys ?

sorry if its a can of worms question

G

guest86120975

Yea you definitely have to be a citizen of Cali, which is of course BS. If I was on vacation in Cali and needed antibiotics or pain killers, I wouldn't have to be a citizen

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
i hear you man, that's my plan. Problem is coming up with the 5 grand or so it would cost to move out there and get a place, etc.

I moved to California about 10 years ago with about $1000 and as much of my stuff as I could cram into a $500 mini-van. I got to California with nowhere to stay, no friends to call. I slept in the van for a few weeks and spent my days driving around looking for apartments. I had terrible credit and no job so it took... ~2 weeks of searching EVERY day to find an apartment that would take me. Paid my deposit and first months rent, found a job... lived out there for several years.

I moved out of California because my girlfriend at the time was homesick and I loved her enough to consider her feelings and opinions over my own.

You don't need $5000 to move to Cali. Just gotta have a pair and a plan.

(Not that having $5000+ wouldn't help you do it in a more comfortable fashion.)

G

guest86120975

Homesickness is definitely a factor. My advice for overcoming that, is to have a plan for stability. For example, the very best thing you could do, which I didn't do...GO TO SCHOOL out there. You'll have a schedule and a purpose other than waking and baking (which is nice, but will drive you batty after a while). You will meet decent people that way, and won't feel so alone. I shoulda done that.

K

KSP

It's something I'm seriously considering northern California and maybe Oregon, although I think I'm older than most of you posting here. It all depends on job prospects. I've been in the southeast for most of my adult life, so there is some inertia to overcome there. I do truly love the South, but the overall conservative atmosphere not so much. I'm questioning whether I want to spend the second half of my life +/- here.

H

h^2 O

I'll be out there soon enough. Anti you should be proud that you made it man! That's awesome. I don't have a car, but would probably just take a greyhound out there and have family mail me my possessions.
The main thing for me is being able to walk or drive to the beach...and living in a chill area. I had a friend who moved to San Jose a few years ago...he hung out in Oakland a lot, went to SF a few times. Eventually came back home to the east coast because he couldn't hack it or something. Said he was getting anxiety. IDK. He went out there with a brand new hybrid car too...and drove it back.
Eureka California and Trinidad Beach Oregon are two of my main prospects...beach, redwoods, chill people. Could probably manage to rent a cheap tiny house or trailer before I even got out there through Craigslist. Then just get out there on a Greyhound, head to the grow shop for some supplies, and get to it! I'll have to do research on how to become a "citizen" of California or a resident of Oregon...I think 30 days means you're a resident. But Californias residency laws sound strange from what I'm hearing here..."citizenship of California"??? So I really just need first and last for a place, the greyhound ticket, a couple suitcases and maybe like 2 grand to get me started. I'd get a part-time job too. Also, I get social security...so that's 900 a month I can depend on. With a small grow I wouldn't even need a part-time job. This sounds doable...and I can' STAND it here in the east. I'm through with it. If I have the extra cash I'll take Amtrak out there and get a sleeper car...just read and play on the net and smoke my brains out...probably find a way to blow smoke out the window or something. Yes this is very doable. All of your success stories keep me motivated! I'm sitting in a lonely apartment in a lame neighborhood in a city I've been in for 15 years...and there's just nothing here for me. Got my degree and I'm ready to hit the road.
Keep on truckin! When I make the move it will be an epic event...will keep everyone posted/create a thread. I'm thinking maybe early winter I might make the move...perfect time...leave here just as the women cover themselves from head to toe in burka-like winter clothes, the snow and slush, traffic, angry people...and arrive in sunny California or Oregon with a smile on my face, the sun on my back, and some chill vibes and dank indica.

C

CascadeFarmer

I'd be happy in Oregon too, but I heard if you accidentally go over your limit in Oregon, game over. Maybe someone from OR can chip in?
Oregon rocks. The southern part of the state near Ashland is primo IMO. Yeah in general they are pretty easy going regarding gardening and if you go over your limits they like to squash people.

dirk d

been in oregon a long time!! way too much rain, the weed isnt that good unless you are growing your own. my choice is cali! stupid me had a chance about 8 years ago but my buddy got cold feet. regret that decision everyday. i love the sun though so might not be for everyone. but about to make a move to san diego soon.

G

guest86120975

Yea see that's what I'm saying, it would be difficult to supplement your income in Oregon...and still sleep soundly at night.

I live with the regret every day that I didn't stay in Cali; but on the other hand, I wouldn't backtrack now due to what else I have that I wouldn't have had. Confusing to think about it. Hell, by the time I get ready to move, medical might be nationwide. That'd be ironic.

Securityfirst

Oregon rocks. The southern part of the state near Ashland is primo IMO. Yeah in general they are pretty easy going regarding gardening and if you go over your limits they like to squash people.

Word to Southern Or
817d.jpg

O

OGvenom

if your thinking of moving out to cali to sell bud id move to a different state cali prices are shit right now