What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a too big closet tree - the tree hugger

Treetops

I'm subscribed to this one....pullin up a chair for the ride....and hangin on...this is gonna be good...
Thanks,
Treetops :woohoo:

R

riverrat7

thanks everyone. As soon as my SSH clone is rooted I'm starting up another grow with a different setup. If things workout as I'm planning, it should be quite the biggest indoor tree ever. I'm gonna LST downward so that I can fill up the volume with bud and avoid all of the pruning I had to do to keep the lower plant from getting too thick.... and I have raised my top light about a foot so I can go higher and I added a bit more wattage :)

Inspirational mate really.Thanks allot for sharing.

1. Are you going too use the same hybrid bucket set up as before this time round?

2 Do you reckon you could elaborate more on how your bucket system works. What are the advantages over DWC.?

3. How high do you set the bucket water level in relation to the clayballs with how much splash?

4. How big big did the root system get and was there more room if your plant was too grow bigger?

5. You mentioned that you could run three buckets off that pump. Could you foresee any yield disadvantage by doing so to the induvidual plants?

Thanks again. your a true innervater

foaf

Veteran
1) this time, no media except for the starter cube
2) my dwc setup is the same but a higher, narrower bucket and the res is seperated so that there is more room to grow in the lighted space. Im going to train downward with the lower limbs so that I can use that volume to get bud, I want to use all of my space, space is my limit, not light, money, or time.
3) the water level, in the past, I set to just below the clay balls, and I used a top drip to keep the clay wet. this time Ill do similiar, but no clayballs
4) the roots just grew straight through the clay balls and seemed to do all of their action in the dwc. thats why Im ditching the clay this time so that that volume can be dwc. big air and almost 4 feet deep this time.

5) I dont know if having the 90 liters per minute air is essential, or if it would be just fine with less. everyone else grows just fine with less air per bucket.

I was hoping to start up sooner, but Ive had trouble finding the ssh clone that I wanted, so Im about to start some mr nice seeds, sort out the female in another grow, and then put her in the closet, so itll be almost Christmas before it starts in there.

good luck.

t33to

the cooltubes are made with 6" lexan, but acrylic works too. there are several sites on the internet to get it. I found it at a salvage place, and in fact, finding it is what gave me the idea. I initially was going to build some type of square tube with plexiglas and wood, but this was maybe easier. the fittings are standard 6" drain pipe, the clear pipe fits loosly so you stuff something in the gap like a spline, clothesline cord or something, then tape. I bought bare mogul bases and used mogul base cfls. some are 95 some are 105 some are 120. The 120s burned some of the buds that were up against them just a little, so Id stick to 95s in the future. Ive got a hps above but the cool tubes are all cfl. I wouldnt trust plastic tubes to hid lighting.

all those things you already know, just pushed to the limit.
lots of light - 2400 watts, but at first I just ran 1200
lots of air in the bucket - 50 lpm with a big koi bubbler disk
co2 with meter - 800 ppm till mid bloom then 1500ppm
cool res temps - chiller kept at 68
standard nutes - gh flora nova
high humidity with afogger untill buds got somewhat dense, then very low humidity to avoid bud rot. high humidity in veg and early flower is a commonly overlooked point and is important.

trimming - this plant was easy to trim. very little leaf material relative to bud. I got 3l10oz of fully trimmed bud, and an unreported 3 or 4 ounces of crapola and popcorn buds that I stripped off of the lowest smallest branches, still no fan leaves kept, and Ill use that for oil, and some of the trimmed bud also for oil. It took me 2 weeks to fully trim, but I would just pick the most mature buds and go from there. they matured as I went and I dont think any of it was overripe.

always. next time your in Amsterdam drop in, or I travel home to deep south US a couple of times a year :) Thats one reason I make oil, its easy to mail home (gotta cross to Germany to mail, they watch mail from here close) to a safe addy Ive got so I can give to friends and family. Katrina victims all lost their connections and are badly in need of a fix.

I'm new to this thread, but I just wanted to say well done. Getting over 4lbs for 2.4kw is pretty sweet. I guess that's the magic of Hydro/Co2 eh!

I just have a simple question, I want to know
how long you vegged for (and how many watts you vegged with),
how long you flowered for (I presume you flowered with 2400w)
what strain is that
and what would you do different next time.

Well done mate.

foaf

Veteran
vegged 5 1/2 weeks, reeferman hashplant, vegged with all the light on, flowered, what for 7 or 8 weeks? Id have to sort through the thread, its all in there, and different, .... well, just check back in a couple of months, and Im starting up again, different in several ways... different light arrangement, different bucket size/shape, more light, ssh strain, and skipping the co2 this time.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
insane!
just found this thread and all i can say is:
WOWZERS!!!!
that's a lot of work.....

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
holy foaf thats the sickest micro ive ever seen, impressed, gonna b doing a lil one @ a buddys inside a gutted coke machine just with a cfl and some t-5's. , why r u skipping gas next time?

foaf

Veteran
why r u skipping gas next time?
thanks for stopping in -
1) so i could grow in the summer in this away building, its too hot not to vent in the summer, that's why all my other grows were winter 2) moderate hassle filling tanks 3) my current screened lights are different than the cool tubes and can't be aircooled separately
I'm 9 weeks into an 11 -13 week sativa now, and its growing pretty well without co2. I don't think Ill get 4 lbs from it, but it should be close to 3. Current grow's album is in my sig, or in a mostly overlooked thread in the vertical section.

foaf

Veteran
I haven't logged in in years, but thanks for checking in everyone. I'm about to do another tree, but not like this ��