What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

goingrey

I have my plant almost done, there is around 5% amber trichomes in the east side top flowers, and almost no amber in the rest of the plant, but almost every not amber trichome is milky, difficult to spot clear heads, I can harvest tomorrow/day past tomorrow, or I need to wait till next weekend because life/work, weather wise looks like no problem at all. I don't know what to do, wait or not, I don't like amber beyond 5%-10%, maybe is my head playing me, but I always associated amber trichs with... heavy head / blocked head? Feels to me like my neurons turn off, or my brain activity turn off. So, IMO I think I could wait 6 days and is not going to be much difference, what do you think guys?
What's the weather forecast?

HCMPA

We all have our preferences but, I do think that with Malawi, the best effects are from those that are allowed to run/mature a bit longer.
I don't think (Malawi's potency wise) there are going to be much difference between chop milky/few amber, and chop lets say 30% amber, that being said, my experience after consuming more Malawi's grams that I'm willing to say, Malawi's fruity phenos, are awesome when choping milky, with few amber trichs, since the mod enhancement/anti-depressive effects are one of the best I smoked in my life, and this is what I don't want to lose.

My fears are related about how much could mature in a week.

Thanks for your opinion, Azeotrope!!

HCMPA

I must say, my actual Malawi specimen has tricked me, until I tried it (last Saturday), I was thinking it was something different, more new killer, really I think it was a fair new Malawi killer pheno, but the effects tell me loud and clear that it is not, which make me happy :greenstars: it is like one specimen from 2021 which still I have around 3 or 4 ounces. I feel something I can't describe in my head, like a rush, but I keep very focused, which is weird, and I know that a few minutes after that I'm going to be happy (is like the rust in my front head, is produced by the happiness coming toward my person like a bunch of horses), energized, active, clear-headed did I said happy? Yeah, happy with my self and with the shitty world around me (alone is not so much laugh, just happiness, but with friends it could go the easy laugh way), I really think is the perfect anti-depressive for active people.

Best regards and sorry about my rambles.

goingrey

I must say, my actual Malawi specimen has tricked me, until I tried it (last Saturday), I was thinking it was something different, more new killer, really I think it was a fair new Malawi killer pheno, but the effects tell me loud and clear that it is not, which make me happy :greenstars: it is like one specimen from 2021 which still I have around 3 or 4 ounces. I feel something I can't describe in my head, like a rush, but I keep very focused, which is weird, and I know that a few minutes after that I'm going to be happy (is like the rust in my front head, is produced by the happiness coming toward my person like a bunch of horses), energized, active, clear-headed did I said happy? Yeah, happy with my self and with the shitty world around me (alone is not so much laugh, just happiness, but with friends it could go the easy laugh way), I really think is the perfect anti-depressive for active people.

Best regards and sorry about my rambles.
So, sounds like while there's no sense of urgency to chop her down based on the weather, you might as well based on how you like the effect. :)

Could also harvest some now and some later.

HCMPA

So, sounds like while there's no sense of urgency to chop her down based on the weather, you might as well based on how you like the effect. :)

Could also harvest some now and some later.

I do scrog, and because of that I harvest in two phases (outdoor, in very good mother earth and this genetic, is what it is ;)), but this year I did manifold for 8 branches (as today I think is much better to just scrog for pure sativas). This year, there are like maybe 6 secondary branches at max, that could benefit from a 2 phase harvest, so IMO no worth to chop in 2 times, another factor to not go that route, is that it's really a homogeneous matured plant, just the east side in the tops is a bit more matured, the rest of the plant is very equally matured, as I said, is all milky, with almost no clear and +-5% amber trichs in the entire plant.

Finally, I decided to chop next weekend, this way I can see first hand how much it matures each week in the actual conditions, which will enrich my personal notes too.

Thanks for your wise inputs.

Old Fogey

I do scrog, and because of that I harvest in two phases (outdoor, in very good mother earth and this genetic, is what it is ;)), but this year I did manifold for 8 branches (as today I think is much better to just scrog for pure sativas). This year, there are like maybe 6 secondary branches at max, that could benefit from a 2 phase harvest, so IMO no worth to chop in 2 times, another factor to not go that route, is that it's really a homogeneous matured plant, just the east side in the tops is a bit more matured, the rest of the plant is very equally matured, as I said, is all milky, with almost no clear and +-5% amber trichs in the entire plant.

Finally, I decided to chop next weekend, this way I can see first hand how much it matures each week in the actual conditions, which will enrich my personal notes too.

Thanks for your wise inputs.
When you say you have tried an 8-way Manifold but it is better to "just scrog" do you mean there is no topping of the plant at all ?

I've spent 2023 dialling in my new grow room and tent setup using beans I bought 7-10 years ago and I'm now ready to begin scrogging some Ace sats. And the 8-way Manifold is what I was planning, maybe even splitting the 8-way one step further to 16-way. I see this as an effective way to contain a plant's size while it veges to sexual maturity at 4-5 weeks of age prior to flipping.

How long do you veg for if you're not topping the plant ?

Peace

HCMPA

When you say you have tried an 8-way Manifold but it is better to "just scrog" do you mean there is no topping of the plant at all ?

I've spent 2023 dialling in my new grow room and tent setup using beans I bought 7-10 years ago and I'm now ready to begin scrogging some Ace sats. And the 8-way Manifold is what I was planning, maybe even splitting the 8-way one step further to 16-way. I see this as an effective way to contain a plant's size while it veges to sexual maturity at 4-5 weeks of age prior to flipping.

How long do you veg for if you're not topping the plant ?

Peace
My plant is outdoor, it was germinated in April. I prefer scrog because:
- Easy to conceal/keep it discrete.
- Easy to support plants that can't support her own weight (and fight hard winds/rains).
- Easy/lazy and securer than tie plants to "garden tutors" (with tutors breaks are more common in hard winds or rains).
- Easy to have the canopy at same level.

In fact, IMO outdoor scrog for pure sativas only have 2 downsides:
- You need quite a big area to grow your plant.
- Drip irrigation is a must, since the area/place to water is under the scrog, and it will get huge.

Last year I have a Honduras x Panama germinated in April, and by the flowering time it was around 6 / 8 square meters (my back still remember the harvest day).

IDK what's the English name, but to water my plant I have a "microporous tube" circling my plant at around 50 cm from the stem (buried around 20/30 cm, it works awesome buried, it water around 20/30 cm from the tube in all directions, a bit less upwards), and another tube with drip irrigation (not buried) with 8 slow drips (4 liter/hour each), one drip face the stem the next drip face outwards.

What I'm used to doing, is top one time (5º or 6º node) and keep under the net all branches, the ones that face against the floor if it is worth to supercropping I do, if not. prune, I mean, maybe the branch is in a high populated area or maybe is already mature/hard and is better to prune since it can break sooner or later.

Is not the best way, but I have no much fear to the police with just one plant, so I need to make as many flowers as I can, and this way works terrific for me, I do a hole (1.5 meters wide x 1.5 meters large and 80 cm deep), is deep because it's a "hugelkultur" technique, there are ancient wood buried in there and several types of local mushrooms, I keep it happy all year around (I even have a scorpion mon there for 3 years and a "married couple" of lizards which wait for the watering time, and they love me), bat guano and specially worm casting are my best friends, I do use some cow and sheep manure (as aged as you can) no more than 2 kilos/year +-, you could use more cow manure, but be cautious with sheep manure, is a perfect/good one, but is potent.

I hope you can understand more or less how I grow my plant, if it were legal here, IDK, but maybe I'll do it different, or maybe not much, since here facing south (which is a must) means facing hard winds...

Best regards.

Old Fogey

My plant is outdoor, it was germinated in April. I prefer scrog because:
- Easy to conceal/keep it discrete.
- Easy to support plants that can't support her own weight (and fight hard winds/rains).
- Easy/lazy and securer than tie plants to "garden tutors" (with tutors breaks are more common in hard winds or rains).
- Easy to have the canopy at same level.

In fact, IMO outdoor scrog for pure sativas only have 2 downsides:
- You need quite a big area to grow your plant.
- Drip irrigation is a must, since the area/place to water is under the scrog, and it will get huge.

Last year I have a Honduras x Panama germinated in April, and by the flowering time it was around 6 / 8 square meters (my back still remember the harvest day).

IDK what's the English name, but to water my plant I have a "microporous tube" circling my plant at around 50 cm from the stem (buried around 20/30 cm, it works awesome buried, it water around 20/30 cm from the tube in all directions, a bit less upwards), and another tube with drip irrigation (not buried) with 8 slow drips (4 liter/hour each), one drip face the stem the next drip face outwards.

What I'm used to doing, is top one time (5º or 6º node) and keep under the net all branches, the ones that face against the floor if it is worth to supercropping I do, if not. prune, I mean, maybe the branch is in a high populated area or maybe is already mature/hard and is better to prune since it can break sooner or later.

Is not the best way, but I have no much fear to the police with just one plant, so I need to make as many flowers as I can, and this way works terrific for me, I do a hole (1.5 meters wide x 1.5 meters large and 80 cm deep), is deep because it's a "hugelkultur" technique, there are ancient wood buried in there and several types of local mushrooms, I keep it happy all year around (I even have a scorpion mon there for 3 years and a "married couple" of lizards which wait for the watering time, and they love me), bat guano and specially worm casting are my best friends, I do use some cow and sheep manure (as aged as you can) no more than 2 kilos/year +-, you could use more cow manure, but be cautious with sheep manure, is a perfect/good one, but is potent.

I hope you can understand more or less how I grow my plant, if it were legal here, IDK, but maybe I'll do it different, or maybe not much, since here facing south (which is a must) means facing hard winds...

Best regards.
Thank you so much @HCMPA for that excellent description of your grow, I can see it very clearly in my mind's eye.

I grow in a 1.2 x 1.2m tent and am new to scrogging, with just two runs of some Indie dom hybrids to date. Plants in first run were topped twice for 8-way out of the 3rd and 4th nodes using one of those elastic tent screens with 150mm squares, then some clones of the best plant in the second run just completed. Really, it has been little different to the LST technique I've used for years but it was some improvement with a flatter, more even canopy overall.

I was thinking of an 8-way manifold out of either the 3rd or 4th node for Ace sats but I see some people are scrogging without topping at all. Anyway, I'm still undecided on which technique to employ.

I've definitely decided that 150 x 150mm is way too big for screen slots. The premium bud is great but it is very inneficient. 50% of my chops have consisted of smoke grade mids and kief grade popcorn.

I expect that smaller slots will mean more time spent on maintenence each day but I am convinced that 50 x 50mm or maybe 60 x 60mm slots are the way to go - the colas are spread out into individual buds, creating lower peaks/shallower troughs in the canopy - so I'll be making a new screen for my first Ace sat grow in my new grow room setup, which has proven to be a substantial improvement on my old setup.

Here is a shot from the clone run ... Peak Seeds BC Sweet Skunk x C99 (Regular) purchased 2015, grown out 2023.

Peace

Attachments

• 20230924_162435.jpg
    20230924_162435.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:

HCMPA

I
Thank you so much @HCMPA for that excellent description of your grow, I can see it very clearly in my mind's eye.

I grow in a 1.2 x 1.2m tent and am new to scrogging, with just two runs of some Indie dom hybrids to date. Plants in first run were topped twice for 8-way out of the 3rd and 4th nodes using one of those elastic tent screens with 150mm squares, then some clones of the best plant in the second run just completed. Really, it has been little different to the LST technique I've used for years but it was some improvement with a flatter, more even canopy overall.

I was thinking of an 8-way manifold out of either the 3rd or 4th node for Ace sats but I see some people are scrogging without topping at all. Anyway, I'm still undecided on which technique to employ.

I've definitely decided that 150 x 150mm is way too big for screen slots. The premium bud is great but it is very inneficient. 50% of my chops have consisted of smoke grade mids and kief grade popcorn.

I expect that smaller slots will mean more time spent on maintenence each day but I am convinced that 50 x 50mm or maybe 60 x 60mm slots are the way to go - the colas are spread out into individual buds, creating lower peaks/shallower troughs in the canopy - so I'll be making a new screen for my first Ace sat grow in my new grow room setup, which has proven to be a substantial improvement on my old setup.

Here is a shot from the clone run...

Peace
I did indoors in the past, but I come to a south rural/isolated area in 2012, and outdoors here is just the way to go, so much sun and good conditions (IMO better highs/effects too, or at least more diverse effects/sensations).

IMO manifold + scrog is capital for indoor with ACE's gear. About your scrog slots, I think you don't need to go so small, unless there are going to be a high-populated net with buds (which could do it more difficult to keep RH OK and plant ventilation), is easy to work your way around fitting/tying branches with a bigger hole (of course, IDK but maybe nothing bigger than +- 8 cm), in your shoes I will play with nitrogen/veg time/scrog to have more or less populated holes/number of branches/buds.

But seeing your buds looks like you have it nice dialed, she looks happy, and there is no better indicator than a happy plant.

I'm working on an indoor setup (120cm x 120cm too) for winter, my corner of the world is each year more and more alone, so neighbors are not a concern anymore, and Dubbi don't stop making nice things, and I want to try them all xD

Best regards.

Old Fogey

I

I did indoors in the past, but I come to a south rural/isolated area in 2012, and outdoors here is just the way to go, so much sun and good conditions (IMO better highs/effects too, or at least more diverse effects/sensations).

IMO manifold + scrog is capital for indoor with ACE's gear. About your scrog slots, I think you don't need to go so small, unless there are going to be a high-populated net with buds (which could do it more difficult to keep RH OK and plant ventilation), is easy to work your way around fitting/tying branches with a bigger hole (of course, IDK but maybe nothing bigger than +- 8 cm), in your shoes I will play with nitrogen/veg time/scrog to have more or less populated holes/number of branches/buds.

But seeing your buds looks like you have it nice dialed, she looks happy, and there is no better indicator than a happy plant.

I'm working on an indoor setup (120cm x 120cm too) for winter, my corner of the world is each year more and more alone, so neighbors are not a concern anymore, and Dubbi don't stop making nice things, and I want to try them all xD

Best regards.
You are right to mention humidity in the canopy as an issue, I will need to consider it seriously when deciding on a smaller slot size.

Peace

HCMPA

You are right to mention humidity in the canopy as an issue, I will need to consider it seriously when deciding on a smaller slot size.

Peace
If you have a nice stash, look for a mon of your liking and try SOG, I think SOG must be nice in a 4ft x 4ft tent, you have the space for a pheno hunt and for a nice SOG.

Peace.

Old Fogey

If you have a nice stash, look for a mon of your liking and try SOG, I think SOG must be nice in a 4ft x 4ft tent, you have the space for a pheno hunt and for a nice SOG.

Peace.
I had grown SOG for many years for those reasons, it allows for variety and the possibility of finding a keeper but I was always getting lots of ordinary smoke too. Also, I am yet to grow out a feminized bean and with regular seed you need to start with plenty of seedlings to ensure you end up with an adequate number of females and it's common to end up with a crowded grow even for SOG in a 1.2m tent.

Since reducing numbers to 3 females from 17 regular beans sowed (followed by 4 clones of best plant) in my past two runs I have been much happier with my chop. Now I need to refine my technique and SCROG setup to improve further because I am still finding too much ordinary material on otherwise excellent plants.

Peace

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
This beauty will impress the most hard core growers here.
I expect to fill at least 5 tiny pipes with it!

It was a freak Malawi male with one branch that turned female. And that stopped flowering after the first push of flowers and ripened nicely. So I should get an idea of Malawi at last.

View attachment 18913413

My God :oops: first time i heard a Malawi doing such things. Glad she finished 100 % female, so you can get a taste from Malawi ;) she is small, but looks to me is going to hit hard hehehehe let it properly cure if harvest is small, enjoy!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I have been smoking on the dried and curing buds of the Malawi indoor grow. If cocain or espresso or a small meth/LSD dose were weed...this would be it. She gives me focus, energy, and takes my head from nothing to creative thoughts, bursts of energy, and the need to do something. This went 2.5+ hrs easy then slowly and gently gave way to mental peace and clarity. There were points where I was so into my work I forgot I had smoked...lol. I'd love to get this cut tested for THCV as I suspect it's there in a measurable amount. No body effects at all....no body drag. Dreamy without being distracting. The only distraction was the "rawness" of the high. Maybe too much for those not used to a sativa like this (paranoid, edgy, restless, etc).

Took her somewhere in the 11-12.5 wk range. My flower tent is on 10/14. Smells like carrots, root vegetables, and earthy fruit. She was in soil I threw together...1/3; vermiculite, 1/3 compost and peat 1/3 perlite mix. She was very easy to feed. Didn't ask for much. WATCH THE NITROGEN as that's the only sensitive thing. All in all, read Ace's strain descriptions for grow help...it's on point. Grew TRSC Malawi Gold which hermied....Aces didn't (not knocking Angus or anyone at TRSC. It is what it is with seeds. Same conditions, same etc.

Next to Todd's OHz that blew me away...this is a #keeper.

Giving it more runs to perfect her grow.
@dubi great creation...this is my kinda bud.
love the way you describe your Malawi hehehehe sounds dynamite @PlasmaTube :smoke: glad you consider her already a keeper! She will reveal all his power, depth and complexity after 2-3 months of curing. Be careful consuming Malawi daily in high amounts, not everybody tolerates it well, enjoy!

FletchF.Fletch

420club
One day i will learn to feed properly. Slowly built up a very high concentration of nutes in the 11l pots of soil. Flushed and corrected, water from here on through.
image.jpeg

Purple Malawi from the Breeder's Pack. 2 of the 3 are dark purple like this 1, the other is a Silver Purple with denser more resinous buds.

image.jpeg

Tangwena

Veteran
One day i will learn to feed properly. Slowly built up a very high concentration of nutes in the 11l pots of soil. Flushed and corrected, water from here on through. View attachment 18928969

Purple Malawi from the Breeder's Pack. 2 of the 3 are dark purple like this 1, the other is a Silver Purple with denser more resinous buds.

View attachment 18928970
OMG thats made me all excited what beautiful flowers you must be so happy.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Thanks @Tangwena and @dubi !! Growing this one makes me want to explore the Malawi genepool and lines even more. Will be checking R+D.

I badly managed the New Killer. Let them get too tall, overfed, all the Classic mistakes. Life had been more stressful, some plants pick up on that and absorb it almost, taking the problems on to protect us. Clouds clear, skies brighten, will try to tame her again. For now I am the afternoon Sun:

Malawi Hash

image.jpeg