What's new

A requiem for change (soil to hydro)

hazy

Veteran
Hey Friend! Man, you have so much going on these days. Good to see you trying out the dark side (hydro) of growing. Good luck my friend.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
update to the "update method"

update to the "update method"

Hey Friend! Man, you have so much going on these days. Good to see you trying out the dark side (hydro) of growing. Good luck my friend.

thanks for checking things man, yeah i been bustin my ass here and there, but oddly enough its not been for the grow, out of everything ive had to deal with, its been the least of my problems! lmao

UPDATE METHOD REVISION

ok ok ok! since i am having more things to keep track of, i have to keep things even more in line! the old memory aint what it should be, and strange as it seems it has nothing to do with our sacred plant, hell it actually helps me to remember.

been on hiatus cause, once again pc was acting up, got too many bugs so had to go hunting and fishing and get something to get/keep this old ass beast of a dell in line! no loot for upgrades of any kind so i gotta make do with what i have for now.

i know i said that updates would be given on thursdays since thats when my pc started acting stupid , but not only is this thread for you guys to see, but its mainly for me to keep a log of the kind of growth im dealing with specifically with hydro slow drip and DWC.

the updates will be as follows:

MONDAYS. . .
are when i report on the big flower cab and whats going on in there. gonna be alotta changes soon! the soilless plants are almost done, realized i had some other tweaks i need to make to my system
and ive got two new DWC additions i have to keep and eye on, i figure this way will be the best way to see what kind of growth im dealing with concerning DWC.

TUESDAYS
are gonna be just general pics of one of the DWC plants. since thats the day of the date i put it in the cab, then thats the day i will take pics of it.

WEDNESDAYS
are gonna be update day for the SSH i have in DWC. i thought it was a stunted plant at first but comparing it to the growth of the other plants i have going on, i keep forgetting that it is a slow moving sativa plant and will take time.

i also have a week by week time line mapped out for each plant ive got going which is the other reason for the organization of the updates.

FRIDAYS/SATURDAYS
are gonna be days where i give general updates of the mom section and both cut/clone sections. theres lots goin on in there as well, its teaching me alot and im noticing things about my cloner that may be a lil more beneficial to me than i originally thought.

so starting monday guys will be starting the updates then. got lots of re-potting to do, adding drippers to my system, gotta rearrange some of those plants in the cloner since the roots are growing into each other . . . whew damn, this is something, but so far im diggin it

stay with me guys , stay with me! :tiphat:

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
THE SYSTEM
This is the hydro drip system Ive been working on, not much but just a few tweaks here and there.

First I added some inline adjustable drippers. . .
picture.php

Then I added some shut offs for both sides, and you can also see the ebb/flow drain I have in the flange I slapped together, nothing fancy a piece of plastic holds everything in place , then its covered over by the 3mil black plastic liner . . .
picture.php

i was/am planning to finish up the last 7 I have in soil while I setup the dripper system. Some of the plants in soil are gonna need a longer time in flower, while some others are gonna be ready past their scheduled time

Here is the pump im running, thinks it’s a 365gph, not too sure, been too long since I last ran it to remember but i think that’s it, one of those eco plus deals . . .
picture.php

CUTS/CLONES top left side section
Had to rearrange the plants, the roots were starting to grow into each other and cant have that, I have two of the tops I cut from the money plants in there still they finally showed roots! . . .
picture.php

CUTS/CLONES top right side section
These are the last two in the stable, I had another NL but it turned out to be a male, so it got tossed, but these are doing great so far, it took them a minute since I had too much leaf matter I think. The leaves at the bottom started to die off so I just cut them and a few days later they started to show new growth so I should see roots any day now. . .
picture.php

MOM bottom left side

Well here is my future dream team, all defoliated and taking the fuck off! Even the lil BB that was acting the ass is doing better. Plan with these is to replant them into bigger bags, 2-1/2gl in a 3gl grow bag with the side rolled down for exposure. Until I investigate the “hempy buckets”a lil more I would really like to run hempies for my moms. Every part of those plants that you see can be taken as cuts, so i can top and cut and repot as much as I like for many months, if not years, to come! I identified a few of them as moms, 2x SS and 1x NL so far. i have 1x NL male. The other SS and BB havent shown me anything yet so im still in limbo about those right now, but that male im gonna leave in the 1gl bag.
picture.php

FLOWER CAB
As you can see here the rest of the family is having ‘nuff fun under that 400HPS. Im glad to say that every bud site is getting light and every bit of the budsites is getting nice and fat, no popcorn this run! For sure, im gonna be trying that dry ice technique for hash . . .
picture.php

Well folks its time to say goodbye to a good friend of mine, the speculated she actually turned out to be a he. Yeah. yeah showin lil well formed balls and all, so I had to toss that bastard out on his ear for fuckin with my emotions . . .
picture.php

BUT it has been replaced with a definite female!!! Bagseed of course but hey who am I to judge! . . .
picture.php

Well since a new timeline has begun, the one on the left that was hydro 2 is now hydro 1 and the one on the right that was hydro 1 has been replaced with what you see here,the new hydro 2. theres tons of side branches going on and they have already been defoliated so im expecting big things from them
picture.php

* * * * *​

well that’s it for now folks, will be back with a more detailed update of the flower cab. I know theyre bagseed but be damned if there aren’t a couple I wanna re-veg!!

:tiphat:

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Howdy.

Can you let me know a little more about your home made cloner?

I need to make me one of them...

How many sites do you have?

What are you using as plugs?

What kind of water is in there? Ph'ed?

What are you success rates?

I serious want to make one that can hold like 60 to 80.

For real saving $400 on a Aerocloner sounds really good right about now...

How much did your whol cloner cost you in parts?

Stay safe!!!!

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Howdy.

Can you let me know a little more about your home made cloner?

I need to make me one of them...

How many sites do you have?

What are you using as plugs?

What kind of water is in there? Ph'ed?

What are you success rates?

I serious want to make one that can hold like 60 to 80.

For real saving $400 on a Aerocloner sounds really good right about now...

How much did your whol cloner cost you in parts?

Stay safe!!!!

ahh man, that shit was sooo long ago and i really dont remember prices, most of those parts ive honestly had for years. i would say about $50 - $80 bucks about?

well the cloner that i have now itself is just to get things started so i can have a my clones at atleast a foot or so tall when im ready to put them into the system.

what i do is:
-take a cut (follow regular procedure: shave a lil off at the tip, dip into powder hormone)
-i put it into a RR plug (they get soaked in the GH lucas formula for veg, 5cc-micro/10cc-bloom per gl)
-then into a 1.5" net cup with a clear cover over it as a humidity dome

heres an old pic of the basic setup . . .
picture.php

within about a week or two you should see roots. if you want to you can leave them under the clear cup until the roots sprout a lil more, as long as they are under/in that humidity they will be fine even with the lights on as you can see here in this older pic. . .
picture.php

maybe if you give them 24/7 light it would be alot better, but my lights stay 16/8 from jump so i think maybe thats why they take a lil longer, and it also depends on the strain as well.

i do it that way because i want to keep a whole bunch of cuts of different things, and i need to mark them and they are going directly into a hydro system so.

BUT i guess if you were to use the neoprene plugs with it you should be fine as well, thats how i used the first one i made so many moons ago so the very first one i setup would be more for what you would need.

aahh did a lil diggin and found some old pics of my first one. . .
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yeah this setup would be better for a soil grower, its three 18" bubble wall wands, connected to a double outlet pump, there were 54 sites to that one, only difference is i painted the top of the new one with white appliance spray paint which i think would be better to do.

anywho:

-neoprene plugs: cut those out of a pack of grey foam interlocking floor mats, price? too long ago dont remember from homedepot though ($20 - $30 a pack?)

-bubble wands: had those shits forever, cant remember how much i paid ($10 - $15 a piece?) youll need three

EDIT: teh ones in teh old setup were the flat blue bubble wall wands, they gave me alot more bubbles BUT i had to off set them a lil

-the rez? damn dude, way too long ago, i know the brand is streilite though, about 4" tall/ 2' long/ 15" to 18" wide? flat surface ($15 - $20 for the container and lid?)

-white/black appliance paint: about $4 a can

-dual airpump, definitely dont remember that, have had that thing for years ($10 - $15?)

-i used the black 1/4 tubing for the airstone manifold so there wouldnt be any problems with light. ($.10 a foot?)

-i use a water heater for GP but its optional, if you know your gonna be dealing with some cooler temps at long periods of time than get it. cheapest one you can find should do.

***treat your res as though you would treat an aquarium. i bought a pH tester and a "API: tap water conditioner, removes chlorine and breaks the chloramine bond and it also detoxifys heavy metals in the water. before this stuff, i used to have all types of shit growin in the water, now every time i check my water the only color youll see is from the nutes, no build up at all

***my water runs at 7pH out the tap so when i do the GH 5/10 it brings the pH to about 6, im cool with that.

so all in all

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Thanks. I'm gonna make one like your old one with the three wands and 54 sites.

Last question.

All I need to airate the H20 are the wands. When I fill this bitch with cuts, do I want the cut edge IN the water? Just above the water?

I would think just IN the water and make sure to keep it topped off and filled.

I'll take some pics of it for sure. And good idea on the foam plugs. I know those interlocking foam puzzle piece things for baby's rooms. I'll make my plugs out of that. Or worst cast, buy the actual neoprene plugs for like $40.

I'd rather do it all DIY just off GP. And that quote might be going in my sig... lol.

Lata mannnnnn.

sneaky101

Hey Art, in a bubble cloner you want the stems to float a little above the water so that when the air bubbles come to the surface and burst the spray gets the cuts. Just as a side note, I have found that the round airstones (3"-5" I think they sell) that you can get at pet stores around the aquarium supplies are the best....IMHO.

Also, Friend, you will love the low maintenance and fewer bugs that come with hydro, good luck!

sneaky101

Hey Art, in a bubble cloner you want the stems to float a little above the water so that when the air bubbles come to the surface and burst the spray gets the cuts. Just as a side note, I have found that the round airstones (3"-5" I think they sell) that you can get at pet stores around the aquarium supplies are the best....IMHO.

Also, Friend, you will love the low maintenance and fewer bugs that come with hydro, good luck!

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Thanks. I'm gonna make one like your old one with the three wands and 54 sites.

Last question.

All I need to airate the H20 are the wands. When I fill this bitch with cuts, do I want the cut edge IN the water? Just above the water?

I would think just IN the water and make sure to keep it topped off and filled.

I'll take some pics of it for sure. And good idea on the foam plugs. I know those interlocking foam puzzle piece things for baby's rooms. I'll make my plugs out of that. Or worst cast, buy the actual neoprene plugs for like $40.

I'd rather do it all DIY just off GP. And that quote might be going in my sig... lol.

Lata mannnnnn.

yeah all you need is those wands and that should do it, it did it for me.

i would leave the stems right above the water line, like sneaky101 said, its the bursting of the bubbles that the wands make that will keep things watered.

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
updates ya'll!!!

updates ya'll!!!

awright folks, real simple and to the point, here the ladies are in single file with my two added friends. . .

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hydro 1 (DWC)
picture.php

hydro 2 (DWC)
picture.php

things are doin fine with these, some of the shorter ones are frosty as all to be damned! really wasnt expectin' that at all! if woulda known i wouldve been labeling them as well besides keeping cuts. i guess the brightest side of everything is that once i am done with the soil its gonna be time to setup shop for hydro for real, gonna finally be running my drip system and most of the clones i took from the bagseed will be for that run.

with my timeline being on track my next couple runs should be of the money plants. the way things are summing up, it may just turn out to be a NL and SS run for the first go, and thats when this dairy is gonna really take off.

next update will be of the cuts on top, and after that the moms below. everything is going as planned. i dont foresee too many problems but if they come i should be able to deal some how some way.

so Art i should have something coming up for later days

i am loving it right now!!! lol i guess ive been blessed with not having too many issues with bugs. a moth or two here and there, the occasional mosquito (which they dont count) and i would think to attribute that to the massive amount of spiders that i have aroudn the place.

really small ones, nothing crazy. some of them hang out in the cabs and some on the plant leaves, i'll find the occasional web here and there. and every time i see a web theres something caught in them; i look at it as having my own blackwater security company on deck keeping whatever terrorsits may lurk in my gardens! lmao especially teh fucking borg! uuugh, just the thought of those fucking things man. . .

anyway, i'll be back tomorrow with more of those pics. things are coming along ppl!

:tiphat:

Last edited:

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Ok heres the haps,

VEG CAB cuts/clones top right
Same old madness goin on in here, just roots and more roots . . .

Full view. . .
picture.php

Right side . . .
picture.php
picture.php

Left side . . .
picture.php
picture.php

The roots . . .
picture.php
picture.php

The thing I notice with this cloner, the airwands in particular, is that they are made of a fiber and it seems that because of that fiber they get clogged somehow with the normal residue of any reservoir which calls for us to clean them atleast every two weeks.

I would definitely use the blue airstone wands BUT this all works in my favor because I don’t want those plants getting too big on me too fast anyway. The water is being aerated but not enough to cause the roots to explode like you would see happen in a straight up DWC.

That slow growth is actually helping in the sense that the cuts have a chance to establish a root zone plentiful enough for any medium and allows me the time I need to get things together as you guys know I am in the process of, almost done though, just have to plug in those new dripper rings I made and pop some holes in them

VEG CAB cuts/clones top left
Nothing much goin on in there ive got the BB cut left and its slow going. The mom (hopefully) that I have down below is getting a lot bigger faster than its been doing. The growth could be due to the nute change but who really knows

VEG CAB mom below
I had to transplant the bigger plants, that I know for sure are female, to bigger bags though they are not filled all the way. I want those plants big but not too big. I wanted to hold a couple 1gl bags but that wouldn’t be necessary with a lil tweaking of the plants that are already in there . . .
picture.php

As you can see the one NL male and the other two that haven’t shown any sex yet are still in the original bags. You know how it is with hoes’, they gotta show you something if they wanted be treated right . . . right? The third SS plant I have I did a lil bending on the bottom branches for a lil promotion of growth. . .
picture.php

ok, thats it for now. next up 'll be takin some progress pics of both the DWC's. the growth in these things is crazy!

once fresh capital comes in i will be more than happy to set that shit up!

be back tomorrow with those progress pics

sneaky101

Quote--FRIENDinDEED--The thing I notice with this cloner, the airwands in particular, is that they are made of a fiber and it seems that because of that fiber they get clogged somehow with the normal residue of any reservoir which calls for us to clean them atleast every two weeks.

That's why I suggested the round air stones. I use the 5" airstones. I have used the same ones with minimal cleaning (pretty much just rinsing and wiping them off after harvest) for about 3 complete cycles. I know you have to use what you have and what is most cost effective for you, but if you do have to and spend some cash, you should consider those. I used to use the long narrow ones too, but once I stumbled across these, I've not looked back....plus they fit nicely into the 3-5 gallon round buckets if that was how you were thinking about building your RDWC system.

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Quote--FRIENDinDEED--The thing I notice with this cloner, the airwands in particular, is that they are made of a fiber and it seems that because of that fiber they get clogged somehow with the normal residue of any reservoir which calls for us to clean them atleast every two weeks.

That's why I suggested the round air stones. I use the 5" airstones. I have used the same ones with minimal cleaning (pretty much just rinsing and wiping them off after harvest) for about 3 complete cycles. I know you have to use what you have and what is most cost effective for you, but if you do have to and spend some cash, you should consider those. I used to use the long narrow ones too, but once I stumbled across these, I've not looked back....plus they fit nicely into the 3-5 gallon round buckets if that was how you were thinking about building your RDWC system.

the 5" round airstones? . . . do you mean the ones that are flat and green? if those are the ones then yeah im sure they must produce a shitload of bubbles perfect for DWC of any kind, i'll think about those though, i was thinking about the smaller version to teh blue airstones though, i think they are about 3" or 4" long? cant remember but whatever is cost effective honestly.

im pissed though about those damned 3gl buckets, was on a site lokin at teh measurements and they are the same circumference at the top as teh 5gl buckets! oooh i was soo pissed. i tried to use the 5gl buckets i have around the house to see how many i could fit and i can get 9 in there, so with that i figured i might aswell just run the 2gl buckets and call it a day.

another grower was suggesting that i take the floor out of my cab, which i can do its just gonna take some work, but i dont know if i wanna deal with those types of monsters and the i have reservations about yields with 9 x 5gl buckets as compared to what i would get out of 16 x 2gl buckets ya know?

if i can get atleast 2+lbs out of my cab i would be more than happy. quiet as its kept, i really am thinking about doing something outside next season, check out dirt farmer and his grow, JEEESUS!! now those are some damned plants for ya! lol

anyway sneaky101, i'll look into those airstones you talkin about.

sneaky101

A while back I saw a thread where a guy had a bunch of the 2g buckets and he had a nice setup. I started out using the5g buckets, not recirculating though, and I found it too much of a pain in the ass to check things and add water and nuts, then check ppm and ph. That's why I switched to RDWC. Much easier to have a controller to adjust everything. Good luck with your system

And not to keep hitting the same point over and over, but about the short narrow airstones that you are talking about, they are cheap enough, but if you are having to clean or replace every month or two, that's a hassle vs just rinsing them after harvest and in the long run, may not be the cheapest option for bubbles but I understand using what you've got...9 airstones will cost ya. But yes, the round, sometimes bleu-green, sometimes black with a whole in the middle. I would rather have the ones without the hole, more bubbles.

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
A while back I saw a thread where a guy had a bunch of the 2g buckets and he had a nice setup. I started out using the5g buckets, not recirculating though, and I found it too much of a pain in the ass to check things and add water and nuts, then check ppm and ph. That's why I switched to RDWC. Much easier to have a controller to adjust everything. Good luck with your system

And not to keep hitting the same point over and over, but about the short narrow airstones that you are talking about, they are cheap enough, but if you are having to clean or replace every month or two, that's a hassle vs just rinsing them after harvest and in the long run, may not be the cheapest option for bubbles but I understand using what you've got...9 airstones will cost ya. But yes, the round, sometimes bleu-green, sometimes black with a whole in the middle. I would rather have the ones without the hole, more bubbles.

its all good, its not really hitting the same point but if it leads me to making a better more cost effective decision in the long run then hey im all for it, i dont count anything out.

what you mentioned about the green ones i have is something that i wasnt thinking about. jsut because it works now whos to say that it will keep working you know?

and honestly its cool for right now cause things arent set up yet but do i really want them to be that slow in growth in the future? i would want things to move along in a turnkey sense so mjust have to switch things up.

some time down then line, more than likely when i set up the RDWC buckets i would have to change the lid of my cloner anyway, wanna be able to just take the 1.5" net cup with they hydroton and the rooted clone in it straight from the cloner into the bucket lid.

i saw/see a setup from time to time where the guys at the hydro shop keep a couple rockwool cubes in about an 1" of water in a regular 72 cell propagation tray. i was thinking of down the line i could just do that but with a taller dome? . . . im thinking ahead again and rambling again, i'll think about the stones sneaky thanks! lmao

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
the progression/time line shots

the progression/time line shots

Awright folks! Just a general update for my eyes so I can see the progression of the DWC. Its my first time out and I wanna really see what to expect from the results as I go along.

Because I put them in at different times I wanna take pics at a weeks time so I can really see the growth and compare it to my past soil grows. This is just part of my organization process grow wise. I think anyone should be organized with their grow and I know I haven’t been so gonna get that changed up!

The weeks are “pre-set”. I never count the two first weeks, im thinking I should change it to the very first week but it really depends on when I see pistils start to form. Normally with my soil grows this happens about 2wks after the 12/12 switch, maybe in hydro it will happen a lot sooner, but im watching so ill know for later.

H1 . . .
10/1
picture.php

10/5
picture.php

10/14 (2 days late!!)@8" tall
picture.php

H2 . . .
10/1
picture.php

10/5
picture.php

10/14 (2 days late!!)@14" tall and some bending/training
picture.php

ive updated on wed, but i really wanna update at the times they went into the flower cab. im thinking about just editing one page of the thread with the weekly updates, that way i wont have to go searching all over the thread to see what i need to in the future.

till next time guys

***WEEKLY EDIT: last update 10/14;next update 10/21

Last edited:

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
ok folks, major change of plans, but then again i still have to see if i can even pull it off.

since ive started the 2 hydro grows. . . im hooked!!! lmao

i ahve to admit that, that shit is the bomb! those plants are growing so fast its rediculous.

since my last update i was looking at my set and decided to try something out. i took the one pump and ran two airstones from the one pump and low and behold it worked!

i'll post a pic or two later, but i have two buckets running off of one air pump. at first i plugged them up the the air pump and one airstone was getting more air than the other one.

i used some back flow valves thinking that they would work as a regulator since they sort of impede the air flow anyway. since one of the backflow valves was stuck somehow, i forced some air though it and that loosened it up, plugged it back up and BANG! bubbles galore in both buckets from one pump.

this post screams of excitement since i would be able to save money on the amount of supplies i would have to buy.

just re-upped on the nutes and have been watching them like a hawk but they are growing fast and strong! im loving this hydro shit, ESPECIALLY DWC!!!

i have 2 x buckets and each had its own pump BUT im using the one pump for both so that fees up teh other 2 pumps that i have and i have two airstones that i dont need to buy!!! soo fuckin happy right now!!!

so now all i would need is atleast 6x buckets and i would just go ahead one more air pump!

if i go with this im gonna do a true DWC no recirculating, the less i have to rely on one pump the better i think. the most i would have to do is replace a air pump if anything were to go wrong.

need 3/4" grommets and i would be pretty much done with supplies.

and then in the meantime i can run a soil grow right along side my hydro grow, which is something ive wanted to do forever! once the loot comes in from teh first run i can start getting the other supplies and go full on DWC!!! yesssss - ah!

i will have pics up for sure!!!

EDIT: AHHHHH!!! just did a search and petco has a one outlet airpump for $8 and a dual outlet pump for $10.39!!!!

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
UPDAAAATES!

UPDAAAATES!

YES YES!!!!

felin good feelin great! took a couple nips of some popcorn bud here and there, quick microwave dried them and BAM! im high right now!!

FLOWER CAB
anyway here are the girls in order. i wanted to come back with measurements this update but totally forgot to get the measuring tape so maybe tomorrow

#1: 18" tall; 8x 2" overall avg. small colas; 3-1/25" large/top cola
picture.php

#2: 18" tall; 4x 1" overall avg. small colas; 3" main/top cola
picture.php

#3: 19-1/4" tall; 5x 1-1/2 overall avg. small colas; 3" main/top cola
picture.php

#4: 21-1/2"; 6x 1-1/2 overall avg. small colas; 3" main/top cola
picture.php

#5: 28" tall; 11x 1" overall avg. small colas; 3" main/top cola
picture.php

#6: 27" tall; 16x 2-1/2" overall avg. small colas; 4-1/2 main/top cola
picture.php

#7: 28-1/2" tall; 14x 2" overall avg. small colas; 4-1/2 main/top cola
picture.php

if anything i'll edit this post and put the measurements in next to the numbers

edit: -measurements
- the cola avg.'s are not including the smaller buds along the side branch colas' themselves. overall that/those would be about another ounce+. i'll definitely keep track of the weight of those by themselves to really get an accurate picture.

-i didnt include the lower parts of the plants because im considering re-veging and saving them as moms, they would ahve to stay in 1gl bags though

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts