What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question for the growers using Jacks 5-12-26

Canidae

Thanks Folks! This is my second grow with Peter's, and I built this system before I really learned to grow indoors; I'd rather be outdoors on my tractor. The learning curve is much steeper than I expected, and I've made most mistakes a newbie can make. There must be something to the adage of not being able to teach old dogs new tricks.

Arminius, I've been measuring the nutes by weight because Peter's instructions start with 130 ounces to 1000 gals. of the hydro mix and 86 of cal-nit. I never considered the issue of absorbed moisture, until I found a couple of damp balls of cal-nit rolled together the last time I opened the bag. Can I ask the source of the info that led you to measure that way? I've got to get this straightened out....and dude, what a mother collection!
I've got Sleeskunk, Ken's GDP, The Big (Free Leonard) and Dynamite. The current grow I'm concerned about is Sleeskunk, and my previous indoor grows were Kolossus, Satori, Madshack, Afgooey and CBD Critical Mass, with a few individual plants of Dynamite, WIFI and Herijuana thrown into the mix.

Medium Pimpin', yes, I definitely rinse the stones very well over a screen, and when I reuse them it's after they've soaked in a strong H2O2 solution and then rinsed again. When I've dug through the Growstones down in the rootzone they always seem damp, and that's why I've only been watering twice per day. I should have mentioned that they're getting 25 seconds of 'on' time, so that's 500 ml per plant per day; hmmm, maybe I need to increase that:(
I transplant the girls from 5"x5x"6" pots when roots are coming out of the bottom holes and they're usually a little root bound. I don't have room to veg for long periods, so they go into the cooker when they're about 20" tall.

I.C., I've read a lot of your posts and appreciate the time folks are willing to take helping others who're just learning. I'm going to test the rootzone PH tomorrow, which I've never done before.

Thanks again!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I use Yara brand calcium nitrate. $20 for a fifty pound bag.

Just make sure it is green house grade, or hydroponic calcium nitrate. If I am correct it is purer.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Is anyone using DripClean or any other similar product like that when using Jacks in coco?
Every once in a while, when I have it, and I haven't felt compelled to shell out good cash for over priced water. Feeding low EC, and without all the snake oil additives, salt buildup hasn't really been an issue.

thewhitelotus

Veteran
im almost out of it, so I was curious if I needed to snag another bottle. Ive personally always used it because I had it, but definitely curious if its needed when doing low EC feeds to runoff.

going to be feeding .8 - 1.0 EC in veg around 3x a day.

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Afternoon everyone, just got my Jacks delivered and going to be making a stock solution in a few moments. I did have a question regarding my tap. I do not plan on using RO as my tap is very clean where i am. It doesnt register on my Truncheon but i did get an analysis from the water company (all are listed in ppm). Will I be fine using my tap and Jacks + CalNit?

Alkalinity, Total* 44.0
Hardness* 28.0
Calcium* 7.4
Magnesium 2.3
Potassium* 1.3

Thanks again for all the help!

Surfandgrow

Hey guys Im growing in coco and looking for a Jacks, CaNO3, MgSO4 and MOST formula to start my new cycle. I have been using Flora Micro, Flora Bloom, Calmag, big bud, bud candy and overdrive. And the occasional superthive. Im hoping the Jacks will do just as well. This will be the first time Ive switched my nutes in 5 years. Im a little nervouse I must admit but at $200 for a full grow compared to $1600 Im willing to give it a try. Im looking for suggestions on where to start and how Jacks does with coco. I will be mixing the jacks into 5 gallon buckets and then mixing it into a 55 gallon reservoir. Do I mix the Jacks etc.. into the 5 gallon bucket at the 55g strength and take my ec reading from that or do I add Jacks to the rez and keep adding until my ec reaches the desired level? Any info would be helpfull. I have been reading a lot of Jacks threads and while there is a lot of formulas for DWC there is not much info on COCO formulas. Thanks Everyone!

Surfandgrow

@thewhitelotus you can get CaNO3 at MBFERTS.com for $23 free shipping for a 25 lb bag. I just mixed up a 5 gallon practice solution to run on one of my flowers just starting week 4. I used 2.5 grams Jacks, 1.67 grams Cal/nit, .5g epsom and .5 grams of MOST. My PH in RO came out to 4.9 and 740 ppm with an EC of 1.5. Any ideas? Why is my PH so low?

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Surf,

I ended up getting the CalNit from JR Peters as well as the Jacks. I made stock solutions of each and now just use about 9ml/gal of each and that puts me right around 1.0 EC and i add a little PH down to get it at 5.8.

I took the advice from IC "So 145 grams of calcium nitrate in a jug topped off to a quart with RO water. And 220 grams of Jack's 5-12-26 in a jug topped off to a quart with RO water. Then use 10 ml of each per gallon of you nute solution. "

Are you using tap water or RO?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
What is MOST?

@thewhitelotus you can get CaNO3 at MBFERTS.com for $23 free shipping for a 25 lb bag. I just mixed up a 5 gallon practice solution to run on one of my flowers just starting week 4. I used 2.5 grams Jacks, 1.67 grams Cal/nit, .5g epsom and .5 grams of MOST. My PH in RO came out to 4.9 and 740 ppm with an EC of 1.5. Any ideas? Why is my PH so low?

thewhitelotus

Veteran
It might be the RO.....i use my tap, which is pretty high PH (around 8.0)but very clean water. I use ph down still after adding everything because of how high my tap ph is..