What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question about "double-pollinization"

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you talking about two plants coming from one one seed?

Had that happen only twice so far, from a TGA strain called kaboom.

One double seed had two females that grew pretty similar, slightly different heights.

The other double had a larger female and smaller male plant.

Only started five kaboom seeds so there was no question the doubles were from a single seed

Click on the image to see it full sized and check out those Siamese twinned seeds.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Absolutely, they are cannabis seeds from a CO Juicy Fruit, pollinated by a Blue Moonshine male.

No I have not taken the opportunity to germ them yet.

Betterhaff

Veteran
The other double had a larger female and smaller male plant.
That should be a tip that that seed’s output was not genetically identical (as in maternal twins). More likely the result of 2 gametes being fused and encased in 1 seed coat.

romanoweed

Someone somewhere staited the same early male pollinisation idea:

In fact I have seen it myself – at least to a certain extend.

When I pop seeds, I transfer any promising looking males to another room where they can flower and where I can collect their pollen. I also transfer any left-over clones that I don’t give away to the same room; they are then used for seed production by open pollination.
As of yet, there has always been one male dropping it’s pollen prior to the other males, either because it was in fact faster flowering or because it was planted earlier.
Depending on the temporal difference between the males flowering, you can see the female clones developing seeds prior to any other male flowering. Now, since the clones are generally very small (I only use clones in very small pots that were stuck in the transplanting queue for quite some time) it’s pretty easy to get an idea of how many seeds are forming on each clone. With that given, it’s rather easy to tell whether there are any more seeds forming after another male releases its pollen. From what I can tell, this is not the case. This impression is corroborated by my observation that the offspring of these clones consistently shows traits from the earliest flowering males (or at least the line the male stems from) but not from the later flowering males.

But even without all that, I still think what J-Icky said it’s self-evident: A fully or mostly pollinated female will pump all of its energy into producing seeds: It won’t produce much more bud matter and it also stops producing resin after it got pollinated because it only develops flowers in order to reproduce and it (more or less) only produces resin to make the pollen stick to its flowers (the resin also seems to serve other purposes though, such as UV-protection and to work as a natural insecticide).
If a female is only partly pollinated and not all of its energy is needed to develop seeds, it keeps developing buds as well as resin in order to produce even more seeds. In this case, later flowering males still have a chance to pollinate it as well.

If it wasn’t the case that the female changes its hormonal balance after being fully/mostly pollinated and therefore pumping all of its energy into seed production, its growing behaviour wouldn’t change as dramatically as it does.
And if it wasn’t the case that this is a one way road and the females would be able to develop even more bud matter even after being fully/motsly pollinated, any open pollination would result in the females developing thousands and thousands of seeds, no matter how wimpy they are. This is clearly not the case. In fact, it would beg the question why any pollinated female should stop producing seeds at all, when there's flowering males present.

romanoweed

Yes Mohadib, thanks. Good, then small open polls can easily become just a single-early pollination.
Could one not avoid that trough cutting say 95 Percent pollen of early males away? But attention , i know male polen is extremly strong. One little male can pollinate nearly fields. Probably just let 3 Pollenthingys over.. Or do it yourway with separate Manmade crisscross pollinisation(Every male x every Female) Peace

Well, a comparatively safe way to make sure all the males can contribute to the pollination is to collect pollen of every male and hand-pollinate the females one by one. Depending on the number of males and the possibilities one has to seperate plants from each other, this might be a lot of work though.
An easier way would be to collect pollen from all the males, mix it up and then letting it pollinate the female plants all at once. If you have a male that's flowering a lot earlier than the others, so you have to store it until the other males are ready, I'd add a larger amount of this pollen to the mix, as time will have an impact of the viability on the pollen, no matter how well you store it.

White Beard

Responding to the last quoted remark: I know of one breeder who always takes down the earliest male before it drops; he feels that the first to drop may not be the plant you’re actually wanting to pollinate with. He also prefers pollen from later in the drop, rather than earlier.