What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a ppk for a 6 plant limit

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey Snook(ie)! I use a 28 Gallon Tote filled half way with MVP then Water, dump, water, dump.... just like your plan, and it works GREAT! When I am Re-Using/Washing the MVP, I add some H2O2 and soak to let it pull the root bits to the top... stirring between root extractions to free up more! I figure this would take care of any stray bugs too?

I do nothing but 600-650ppms jacks+ in MVP (or 8822 when I was using it) brother, i'm so glad I have had NO bugs! how many years?? since the PPK thread started. well that's not exactly true, there was the ppk/coco grow or two with the god gdamned gnats. I haven't tried the h202 soak..

EDIT: sNOOKIE IS A FEMALE.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
sorry this took so long! this the kushlan 6 cu ft mixer from home depot.

that's one whole bag in the first shot.

then the next two show the 1/8" holes drilled at the lowest point when the machine turns.

in the last two the machine is on, an operator is running a hose into the tub and the tub is draining through the 1/8" holes.

we are still experimenting but I've been running 3 fills and drains with the machine running and then a final drain with it off.

this cleans turface well enough that it does not discolor the water.

Mrrite008

Nice! An expensive piece of equipment...the amount of time and work this is gonna save, made it a no brainer for me. Gotta go drill my mixer, and get it ready to "do work" tomorrow. Thanks D9!

Grow4Flow

I opted to save some money and bought a few of the cement mixing tubs, drilled a bunch of 1/8" holes in it and the turface is really clean after a couple of rinses.

D9,
what kind of connection are you using from your main water storage to your float valve in the res? i used to be able to get the 1/4" quick connect bulkhead type fittings, but my LHS no longer carries them and cannot seem to find them anywhere.

Miraculous Meds

I opted to save some money and bought a few of the cement mixing tubs, drilled a bunch of 1/8" holes in it and the turface is really clean after a couple of rinses.

D9,
what kind of connection are you using from your main water storage to your float valve in the res? i used to be able to get the 1/4" quick connect bulkhead type fittings, but my LHS no longer carries them and cannot seem to find them anywhere.

I just drilled a hole slightly smaller that the 1/4" line and squeezed it through, then used amazing goop. Months of using them with no prob.

Mrrite008

D9,
what kind of connection are you using from your main water storage to your float valve in the res? i used to be able to get the 1/4" quick connect bulkhead type fittings, but my LHS no longer carries them and cannot seem to find them anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I had a few 1/4" Top Hat Grommets laying around...tight fit, no leaks, no glue nescessary.

Miraculous Meds

D9,

I had a few 1/4" Top Hat Grommets laying around...tight fit, no leaks, no glue nescessary.[/quote]

those are fine till u get to the bigger volume res's that are too thick for those 1/4" grommets.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

D9,

I bought a hundred 'tire valves' circa 2010 PPK thread, still have many, soooo... 7/16" hole pull the tire valve thru, take the little air stopper out and 1/4" hose fits the threads of the valve like a finger in a glove, never had a leak. I've been using 1/4" float valve and it has worked fine. Never given a thought to using a 1/2" float valve... but would a 1/2" valve let in too much 'fresh' (600ppm) nutrient? and I'd guess lower the PPM counts in the PPK rez. Idono.

EDIT: Never mind, flow rats are the same for 1/4" and 1/2" float valves, 1.5GPM @ 60psi

Miraculous Meds

I bought a hundred 'tire valves' circa 2010 PPK thread, still have many, soooo... 7/16" hole pull the tire valve thru, take the little air stopper out and 1/4" hose fits the threads of the valve like a finger in a glove, never had a leak. I've been using 1/4" float valve and it has worked fine. Never given a thought to using a 1/2" float valve... but would a 1/2" valve let in too much 'fresh' (600ppm) nutrient? and I'd guess lower the PPM counts in the PPK rez. Idono.

Hes not talking about a 1/2" float valve. He cant find the pieces used as a thru hall to connect from the volume res to the 1/4" float.

Its not about the nutrient strength in the volume res. Its about the amount of extra water raising the water level higher in the system and messing up ur air gap or overflowing.

hope that helps bud.

have a good day.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
tonight im flipping my 8k og raskal vert walls that are in coco. once the last of these coco plants are flipped we are expanding my old ppk to 24 sites and gonna blow it up big time. coco is nice, but i left my heart in ppk land :)

ppk and jacks is the ultimate combo. if youve got the DIY fever build one and run some jacks KISS style and watch things explode with minimal effort. thanks d9

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Quick question guys.

I'm firing my 7 plant PPK back up after losing and entire top feed coco garden when I left town and my tubing slipped of my feed pump. I didn't have it hose clamped and just had some tubing shoved in one another tightly and it cost me.

I'm in the slightly older version of the PPK. 7gal upper tub w/ 3.5 gal lower w/ (3) 1.5" tailpieces. I'm using washed NAPA floor dry.

I've got a 1/6hp (1350 GPH) harbor freight pump pushing a 1/2" loop manifold with (2) 1/4" open lines per plant site. Unfortunately due to previously trying to run coco in these PPKs I have small holes drilled into my upper containers. This seems to be preventing me from achieving a full saturation pulse. The water just flows right through instead of flooding my upper container so I guess I'm going to have to just run a wave pulse.

I'm trying to figure out what water volume and duration I should hit them with. Anyone have any advice. I remember d9 stating small volumes really frequently I'm not sure where to start. I've got a CAP ART-Dne so I've been doing around 2 minutes every 2 hours.

Does anyone know what I'm shooting for here?

*I just checked my volume after creating this post and my 2min is actually giving me nearly 8 quarts per plant site in those 2 min. I'm guessing this should be cut way back. I've had the plants in the system now for a few days with no real action. I've only got 4k burning right now in the center diamond, but after measuring my volume I guess I've been overwatering them causing poor root spread.

Since I'm not achieving a full flood I'm worried that I wont fill my upper container sufficiently with roots. My (2) 1/4" lines after dumping 8 quarts of solution into the floor dry still seems dry in certain areas of the larger upper 7gal container.

I've been out of the swing of things for a while and havn't been following the forums and the PPK evolution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are some shots. I still need one more bag of NAPA to pot that last plant. Unfortunately I've got such underdeveloped roots in my little 5.5 temporary pots that when I try to transplant all of the napa just falls away.. leaving me with a fragile root structure. I just filled some napa around it and I'm crossing my fingers they take.

*don't be confused by the upside down black pots. I just am using them to temporarily hold my tubing in place until I can devise something better.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Quick question guys.

I'm firing my 7 plant PPK back up after losing and entire top feed coco garden when I left town and my tubing slipped of my feed pump. I didn't have it hose clamped and just had some tubing shoved in one another tightly and it cost me.

I'm in the slightly older version of the PPK. 7gal upper tub w/ 3.5 gal lower w/ (3) 1.5" tailpieces. I'm using washed NAPA floor dry.

I've got a 1/6hp (1350 GPH) harbor freight pump pushing a 1/2" loop manifold with (2) 1/4" open lines per plant site. Unfortunately due to previously trying to run coco in these PPKs I have small holes drilled into my upper containers. This seems to be preventing me from achieving a full saturation pulse. The water just flows right through instead of flooding my upper container so I guess I'm going to have to just run a wave pulse.

I'm trying to figure out what water volume and duration I should hit them with. Anyone have any advice. I remember d9 stating small volumes really frequently I'm not sure where to start. I've got a CAP ART-Dne so I've been doing around 2 minutes every 2 hours.

*I just checked my volume after creating this post and my 2min is actually giving me nearly 8 quarts per plant site in those 2 min. I'm guessing this should be cut way back. I've had the plants in the system now for a few days with no real action. I've only got 4k burning right now in the center diamond, but after measuring my volume I guess I've been overwatering them causing poor root spread.

Since I'm not achieving a full flood I'm worried that I wont fill my upper container sufficiently with roots. My (2) 1/4" lines after dumping 8 quarts of solution into the floor dry still seems dry in certain areas of the larger upper 7gal container.

I've been out of the swing of things for a while and havn't been following the forums and the PPK evolution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here are some shots. I still need one more bag of NAPA to pot that last plant. Unfortunately I've got such underdeveloped roots in my little 5.5 temporary pots that when I try to transplant all of the napa just falls away.. leaving me with a fragile root structure. I just filled some napa around it and I'm crossing my fingers they take.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57391&pictureid=1340309&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL] [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57391&pictureid=1340307&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL] [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57391&pictureid=1340308&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

*don't be confused by the upside down black pots. I just am using them to temporarily hold my tubing in place until I can devise something better.
l

Drill a hole in the lip of 'pot', zip tie pulse hose(s) wherever you want it.

lift the pot, 'plug' the 'other' holes w ??? cork/goop, piece of dowel should take care of the flood issue and or use 1/2" pulse hose.

EDIT: longer pulse intervals when they are little, make the little roots go looking for water.
EDIT: and pulse till water is visible slightly at the top of the 8822. I use a 900GPH pump for 4 3.5 gallon buckets and it takes about 35seconds to fill all 4. another thing to conceder is the size of the pulse rez, make sure youre not 'bottoming out' in the pulse rez (pumping out all available water in the rez and the pump ,pulse feeding only a trickle of water)

Last edited:

copperfacedave

Quick question guys.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57391&pictureid=1340309&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57391&pictureid=1340307&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57391&pictureid=1340308&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

What where the dimensions of this room flowerfarmer?

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Roughly 11'x16'

I built the room with the intention of running 8k in there, but have my corner lamps as 600w unit at the moment making it a 6400w room.

Snook,
That was my plan for securing the lines. I should have just closed the holes before I loaded the system with floor dry. Would have been rather easy at that point. I am planning to just run this one with a frequent wave pulse and close the holes next run.. Is a full saturation pulse that superior to warrant my time/energy into trying to apply the fix this run with plants already loaded?

*I adjusted my feed down to 30 seconds every hour. Things seem to be looking a little more perky now. I havn't checked the volume, but I'm guessing its around 50oz or so in that 30 interval.

Latest posts

Latest posts