What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A plee for your health

just switched to vertical this morning and my steam punk welding glasses are on their way! I'm glad I noticed this thread or I wouldn't have even thought about it!

SuperConductor

Veteran
I've found the best solution to this problem is to just switch off the lights before opening the room. Digital ballasts mean no need to wait before putting them back on. Got a desk lamp in there so i can see when i need to. It means i get to see what the plants actually look like too.

trikiadi

So may i ask: are HPSs dangerous too?
As i understand what is harmful are UV radiations.
Only CFL and MH reach those wavelengths, right?

Picked up these today... not the best but assuming they work at all my eyes will thank me! Thank you for this thread... months ago it made me realize the potential harm I was doing to my body without using protection.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/img0301zu.jpg/
img0301zu.jpg

what about the glasses they sell in the grow store which slightly resemble glassblowing goggles? (if anyobdy has ever worn glassblowing goggles they know how supremely sweeter they are then welding goggles and more expensive too.) or glasssblowing goggles tehmselves. they allow you to look at fire and see right through it to see how hot the glass is, sort of like polarizing for fire. any ideas

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
My welding goggles aren't cutting it, I have torch goggles but I really need at least shade 8, if not shade 10 arc welding goggles. Harbor freight, here I come!

bChiefing

Thanks to all of you that have posted, taken everything into consideration and will be getting the proper eye protection soon!

nuckfuts

Timely, and thoughtful warning. I have super dark prescription shades I wear in the room, helps alot. I also wear a fishermans cap to keep the light from leaking overr the top of my glasses.
I would add this, dress as if u are going to go outside to work in the blazing hot sun. I have started to bring this up with my local growing friends.
The replies a 50/50 mix of omg, to "thats bullshit". Which is to be expected when suggesting something new to somebody set in their ways.
One person wondered whether or not to use sunscreen in the growroom. My thoughts on that were, It can't hurt.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think we get so wrapped up by the beauy of our ladies that we forget one of our lessons from childhood, DONT STARE AT THE SUN! Serious though be smart. Thanks for the post.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anyone have experience w. groggles or method seven glasses? both marketed @ my local gro stores
curious @ long term use...

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
#5 welding goggles (flip up kind) made it impossible to do any work in the room - too dark.

Some blue lensed safety glasses (around $7) as recommended somewhere on IC were better (cut UV and IR), but still didn't "shade" enough to make it comfortable to be working in there a lot.

I've now picked up a pair of LUMII from the local grow shop for $25 and they work great. Still see-through enough to work just fine, but the HPS doesnt bother the eyes at all.

For those that dont wanna throw $200 on a pair of glasses.. check them out. They work great for vertical.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
groggles ; 70$ work well, turn shit blue ish, def better than staring raw bulbs down works well under hps and mh

method 7 ; 150 - 200$ like ur in the sun not under hps, havent seen if they work as well under mh

Shafto

what about the glasses they sell in the grow store which slightly resemble glassblowing goggles? (if anyobdy has ever worn glassblowing goggles they know how supremely sweeter they are then welding goggles and more expensive too.) or glasssblowing goggles tehmselves. they allow you to look at fire and see right through it to see how hot the glass is, sort of like polarizing for fire. any ideas

Didymium glassblowing glasses are perfect as far as I know. They block out "sodium flare" from the glass created by hot glowing sodium, same thing that makes light in an HPS. They also block out UV, without hindering vision like a shade 5.

alamony2005

Listen up noob's put your fucking eye protection on, I just left a friends house who's father is now accepting treatment at a local Eye clinic for years of abuse stemming from being around HPS , MH, CMH bulbs over a period of 9 years. You hear that.. 9 years and he has damage equivelant of a lifetime welder of the time period of the 30's.

Soon people wont even be able to see their plants for when its time to chop. Yikes.

And yes I still love the Simpsons quote " My eyes! The goggles do nothing...argh!"

=)

BakedPotato

I wear glasses and was interested in the Growgles that could fit over them. There seem to be 2 colors offered, but every description was exactly the same: "Growgles offers glasses specifically designed to remove sodium glare (red/orange) and protect the eye from UV and IR emitted by HPS lighting allowing the grower to see their plants again for the first time. Lenses made from amethyst crystal."

So why the different colors???????

Finally found the answer:

Blue/Green Growgles: for garden maintenence and observation, not to be used to look directly at HID bulbs.

Dark Green Growgles: for garden and equipment maintenence, can be used to look directly at HID bulbs. More pure, denser crystal.

I have a pair of the green plastic #5 flip up welder goggles that seem to be popular, but I find them quite hot to wear. Has anyone compared the shade of those to either color of the Growgles?

N

noyd666

just made this up recently, not tried out ,probaly need shortening,,,, whatever, for vert natch hangs on yo yos' , walk in glasses on, pull sheild down covering globe, then raise out of way with sheild on side your working, other side is open to cooling etc, bird wire and not used shade alum, wing nut on, rivets. my eyes are fading bad and vgot ,,called dry eye feels like fine bits of gravel in eyes, eye drops all bloody night, i used hps and mh. hope this helps someone. couldnt' get photo through.

Last edited: